Round vs Bladed spokes, crosswind, dead sailor, scary, poo in pants, cry afterwards, nightmares

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heya team,
So, just bought some 29er carbon wheels for a possible 29er build down the road.
They are exactly the same build as the 27.5 rims on my Nomad, LB 38mm carbon rims, bladed spokes and 350 hubs. Been a solid combo for me for a few years. However....

My question is regarding spokes, i didnt realize but I have ordered bladed/aero spokes, I was wanting round spokes as I seem to get really deflected in cross winds when jumping with my current setup, could the bladed spokes contribute to/cause this? Or am I just shit at jumping?

Yours deadsailory,
The Captain of the Titanic.

Last edited:

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jumping with 29 wheels, are you mad man.
And carbon. Shall wait for epic crash post
Wish I could blame carbon wheels for all the times I've crashed. But so far everytime is just cause im shit house at this sport. haha........crying

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
You just need to rotate each spoke 90 degrees (might help with water crossings too). And if you're still feeling the cross winds, drill a bunch of 3/8" holes through your rims to reduce the sail area. You'll have some bonus rotating weight loss too which will make those 29er wheels spin up like Aichi Ono.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, after thinking about it, I've switched out to a lower profile rim and round spokes. Will see if that makes any difference, I'm not fully convinced, but only one way to find out.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Ya, the Bladed Spokes won't make a difference in the air, and only a slight difference in spinning aero when it comes to MTB speeds.

What I did enjoy on my CX-Ray LB Wheels was the weight savings, it was pretty decent.

Plus they look cool as fuck!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ya, the Bladed Spokes won't make a difference in the air, and only a slight difference in spinning aero when it comes to MTB speeds.

What I did enjoy on my CX-Ray LB Wheels was the weight savings, it was pretty decent.

Plus they look cool as fuck!
I've noticed a strange "whooshing" noise when cruising along the road with my new DT Swiss wheels. Just realised maybe that's the bladed spokes

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely not axle lol. The rear wheel is in and out quite often between outdoor and trainer rides. Only happens around 25kmh plus, might do some tests with the old wheelset to see if I'm crazy or not lol.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Definitely not axle lol. The rear wheel is in and out quite often between outdoor and trainer rides. Only happens around 25kmh plus, might do some tests with the old wheelset to see if I'm crazy or not lol.
As long as 3 or 4 of the voices in your head tell you you're not crazy it's all good!

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I thought you were taking the piss.
At average mtbike jumping speeds, unless the crosswind is huge close to the ground I would nt think it was a factor that would put me off wheels.
recently bought some Mavics from a" burner" with bladed spokes, I didnt give it a thought.
IMHO the reason I think I crash when landing jumps, is that the take off is small , I am trying too hard to go big , put in too much effort , get my balance off and land crookedly. If I just relax , get the timing right it feels better.