Advocacy Alert Royal NP Plan of Management is being reviewed

dcrofty

Eats Squid
As the title says the Plan of Management for Royal National Park is being reviewed. I think it might even be out to comment but can't find much on the website.

I'll find a link to the draft at some point and post it but I just thought I'd post this as MTB and volunteer trail work in the Park is by no means set in stone and there needs to be a strong rider response to this or we could loose out.

More info to follow

Crofty

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Who are stakeholders? Stakeholders are any individuals or groups with an interest in what goes on in these Reserves and how they are managed. Examples of stakeholders include: park neighbours, volunteers, park visitors, interest groups, groups/organisations that use the park for activities, companies that have infrastructure in the park or run businesses that use the park.
What does registering mean?

Registering as a stakeholder involves providing us with your contact details or your group or organisation's details. You can do this by:

• completing the form below OR
  • emailing your details to the Royal Area Planning Officer at msw.planning@environment.nsw.gov.au OR
  • posting your details to Royal Area Planning Officer, NPWS Metro South West Region, PO Box 44, Sutherland, NSW 1499.
As a registered stakeholder for the revision of the Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area we will undertake to advise you of opportunities to have your say and to keep you updated on progress of the plan. More information about the values (environmental, historic heritage, indigenous heritage etc) to be addressed in the plan will be posted here, and as a registered stakeholder we will alert you when this type of information is available.
A quick email highlighting that as a rider you are interested in legitimate and sustainable trails, where you can volunteer to provide free maintenance so that you can have a sense of ownership of the tracks that you love to ride ... should do well to support the local riders and get some sniggle

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
For the non locals, what are the key issues and do you feel the draft POM addresses them?

----edit-----

Actually reading that, they are asking for people to nominate as representatives of the various stakeholder groups. This is something that you local guys will really need to get together and sort out. Make sure the local NPWS know who you are. It is all fine for all of us to register our interest, but you need to get into the pockets of the NPWS now.

This is what we have used the Glenrock Trail Alliance for, as the peak representative body with the NPWS.

Out of interest, have the NPWS called for reps on the Consultative Committee in preparing the draft POM?

Last edited:

dcrofty

Eats Squid
For the non locals, what are the key issues and do you feel the draft POM addresses them?
Big thing for me is that riding on singletrack is still a trial in the park and not formalised as permitted under the current POM. So pushing for that is probably a big thing.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
Cool.

Something I don't think we did well was to get out to the non locals what the issues were to the locals. So the submissions from those out of the area were different to the locals.

If I can suggest one thing, without putting words in peoples mouths, get on all the various forums and drum up support, but let them know once the draft POM is out for comment what the issues and positives are from a locals perspective.

Then we can all join in to support the cause.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
good point that ^^^

Advanced apologies for this silly question:

Is there an advocacy group / rider working group / local club working on this. I know there are track days, but would be good to understand whats happening locally a little better.

Been a while since I've lived in the Shire

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay i've registered. I ride, volunteer, bushwalk and have taken Duke of Ed groups through there. I added a few comments as well along the lines if what was mentioned here.

abevern

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up Crofty. I've registered interest and passed along the link to my riding mates.

If there's one thing the mountain bike community has over the other interest groups, it's our active online communities. If your riding friends don't frequent this forum, tell them about it via email or on your next ride (or both!)

This is a major opportunity to maintain and potentially improve access to trails in the Royal and surrounding national parks. We need everyone to register interest, and provide cogent submissions when the time comes.

bev

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Have only just found this thread but will definitely be passing it on as I know lotsa people with an interest in this area.
I think this area has historically been a very tough nut to crack.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Bump, come and have your say.

Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area Plan of Management

I am contacting you as you have previously expressed an interest in the revision of the Royal National Park, Heathcote National Park and Garawarra State Conservation Area Plan of Management.

I would like to alert you to two opportunities to have input into the development of the Draft Plan of Management for these Reserves.

Public consultation ‘Drop-in’ sessions will be held at Helensburgh and Engadine in the coming weeks.

Saturday 12 November 2011 from 10am – 4 pm at Helensburgh Community Hall

Tuesday 15 November 2011 from 2.30pm – 6.30 pm Engadine Community Hall

Please come along at any time during these sessions, view maps and information and have a chat to staff. All your comments and suggests will be recorded and will inform the development of the Draft Plan of Management. Any queries please call 9542 0632.

Please tell your friends!

You can view further information, including some ‘talking points’ at:

https://sites.google.com/site/royalreservesdraftpom

Don’t forget:
· you can provide comments or submissions at any time via the planning email address: msw.planning@environment.nsw.gov.au

· you will also have an opportunity to comment on the completed Draft Plan in 2012.

Thank you for your interest in the Plan of Management and we look forward to seeing you in Helensburgh or Engadine.

We will continue to alert you by email to new postings on the website and further opportunities to have your say. If you do not wish to be contacted any further, or wish to update your contact details, please advise us by email at the above address.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just beat me to it.

One of the 'talking points' is...

A range of opportunities are provided for recreational cycling. What do think about current provisions for cycling in the parks, including mountain biking?

It would be worth commenting on.

From the original NPWS forums I recall one of the rangers/managers mentioning that mtbing could be a good option for Garawarra State Conservation Area. Is anyone familiar with the area and able to comment on it's suitability for mtbing, particularly singletrack?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
from NPWS Staff

BAD NEWS: “Celebrating Royal – Back to Audley” event on Sunday 27 November 2011 from 10am – 3 pm has been postponed due predicted wet weather and water logging of the site. Please pass this information on to anyone you know who might have been planning to attend!

GOOD NEWS: the ‘Plan of Management Review’ stall will still be there on Sunday 27 from 10 am – 3pm. So, if you haven’t made it to our events in Helensburgh & Engadine please drop by any time between 10am and 3pm and pass on your comments, suggestions, concerns or ideas for the Draft Plan of Management. All your comments and suggests will be recorded and will inform the development of the Draft Plan of Management.

Please tell your friends!

You can view further information, including some ‘talking points’ at:

https://sites.google.com/site/royalreservesdraftpom