RS XC30 fork - Lockout question

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hi yall

I am wondering if any possible fork damage may be caused by trying to turn the Lockout control from off to past what I now know is actually “on”?

Basically there is about 1/3 of slack which I now realise turns Lockout from off to as-much-on-as-it-will. The point “past” off feels like a heavily sprung area which forcefully returns the dial to the on position. It’s this sprung area that I am asking about.

My reasoning for turning it past this point is that I didn’t think Lockout was working and I expected the Lockout setting to “click” into the on position, which apparently does not happen.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Is the lockout working ?

If not, then I doubt you do too much other damage by turning the knob without being a hulk about it.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Is the lockout working ?

If not, then I doubt you do too much other damage by turning the knob without being a hulk about it.
Yeah it’s working. I guess I was more just wondering about the mechanics behind it. Is the spring action caused by air or oil compression, or an actual spring of some sort?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yeah it’s working. I guess I was more just wondering about the mechanics behind it. Is the spring action caused by air or oil compression, or an actual spring of some sort?
The lever springing back ? That would be a spring in the lockout lever assembly.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is usually a small air pocket below the compression damper so there is some "give" when the fork is "locked". Should only be 10-15mm, any more than that suggests the oil level is too low. Motion Control dampers are designed so the whole cartridge is slightly compressible, but I don't think they're fitted to the XC30s

The damper cartridge basically has a shaft down the guts connecting the external lever to a very basic rotary valve/tap at the base of the damper, with a vertical vane on top of the valve plate that fits into a slot in the end of the shaft. Over-rotating the external lever can break this connecting vane, and then the damper is fucked.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I just rebuilt a FIT damper, was an interesting learning curve.

Stipped the fork bottom nut, got a new rebound control unit from NSD in 14hrs.... all good now.