RS1 fork

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Is it as bad on cornering as I've read? Reviews say great in straight line rough stuff but shitty on off camber and tight bermed corners etc. Looking at another bike for another bike for my wife. Looks awesome except the RS1 fork...
Anyone?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep. I test rode a bike with a rs1 a few years ago, it’s a significant step backwards on rigidity compared to the sid chassis.

This clip sums it up nicely. And yes, I liked the Cannonfail with a lefty I rode, really liked it.

DMan

Yep. I test rode a bike with a rs1 a few years ago, it’s a significant step backwards on rigidity compared to the sid chassis.

This clip sums it up nicely. And yes, I liked the Cannonfail with a lefty I rode, really liked it.

Her present bike has a Sid. I don't think the bike has a Sram predictive hub either which I've read helps. So you weren't impressed with it Link. I've read it pretty good in the rough when you're straight lining...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Yep.Fundamental flaw of the upside-down design is that the lower stanchions - which of course have the dropouts at the tips - twist independently in the upper, resulting in major wheel realignment and completely debunk the claim that through-axles are stiffer, because even a heap of shit RST with Q/R drououts will be a rotationally stiffer fork (but the alleged "suspension" aspect of said RST will stil be shit).

link1896

Mr Greenfield
How aggressive is she? 200mm front rotor and a dropper post, 2.35” tyres?

Or 160mm front rotor, 2.25 tyres and a fixed post?

It’s all about corners for me. SID chassis is as noodly as I would ever go.

Is this for a race bike? Is a cannondale Scalpel-Si Hi-mod out of the budget? From a 1 hour ride, I feel it has the slight edge over an epic World Cup.
Don’t regret my epic WC one bit though. We are talking wafer thin differences here. My Epic WC is 10.4kg with pedals and dropper. Seriously fast.

Last edited:

notime

Likes Dirt
I've had one for a few years, ended up on my sons bike and now on my single speed. It works super nice, holds up to me and I'm a big bloke. I found it stiffer than a standard reba, rides better than a stepcast 32 I had. When you mash the front brake on a solid surface the wheel does noticeably twist in the fork a bit but it doesn't seem to translate to real world dirt handling. They can be a pain to get the axle in until you get the knack of it. I'm not replacing mine unless a stepcast 34 comes along which should have an appreciable stiffness increase.

DMan

I've had one for a few years, ended up on my sons bike and now on my single speed. It works super nice, holds up to me and I'm a big bloke. I found it stiffer than a standard reba, rides better than a stepcast 32 I had. When you mash the front brake on a solid surface the wheel does noticeably twist in the fork a bit but it doesn't seem to translate to real world dirt handling. They can be a pain to get the axle in until you get the knack of it. I'm not replacing mine unless a stepcast 34 comes along which should have an appreciable stiffness increase.
Awesome. Thanks for that!