Rums

binner

Hath shat hymself
cash to burn not

That and Mount Gay are the best around that price IMO.
yeah ,see I max out at 50 bucks.... i just don't have cash to splash so I try to hang around the 48 dollar mark, same as wines where i stop at about 25 buck a bottle....

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
How do you guys mix your rums?
I usually keep a bottle of SJ in the cupboard, mixed with ginger beer (bundaberg) and lime, not a fan of dry so much. Quite happy to drink spiced rum on ice though.

Ive looked at Kraken a few times but opted out, the positive vibes here have inspired me to give that a go next time.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
you bastards, I had to read this thread and it's a public holiday. :frusty:

off to Murphy's tomorrow. Leaning toward a bottle of Mount Gay XO. about $60. :happy:

dej

Likes Bikes
What's a good rum to try if the only rum you've ever had is bundy?
I do like bundy if thats any help

binner

Hath shat hymself
How do you guys mix your rums?
I usually keep a bottle of SJ in the cupboard, mixed with ginger beer (bundaberg) and lime, not a fan of dry so much. Quite happy to drink spiced rum on ice though.

Ive looked at Kraken a few times but opted out, the positive vibes here have inspired me to give that a go next time.
I do my SJ with dry or ginger beer, not a lot neat, but this Rebellion I can do neat and I like the kick....
Morgan's I do either on ice or with dry......depends on my mood.
I still haven't tried kraken due to a few of my mates calling it kinda average and overpriced...

Maybe once a month I throw in a nice White Russian just to mix it yup.....

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Mount gay or havana club.
+2 for mount gay. There is a white version, but haven't tried it. could be good for mixing and cocktails.

Got a bottle of mount gay XO on saturday. excellent sipping rum. you can mix it, but a bit exxy for that, imo.

I had a look at the diplomatico, but I think it was about $97 at murphys. pass.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a thread I can get right into. SUBSCRIBED.

Always drink rum with Ginger Beer or Dry.

I really rate the Rebellion Bay as mentioned earlier. For a cheaper bottle it hits the spot nicely.
At that similar price point I'm also a fan of Stolen Gold. Once bought the Stolen Spiced and it was too much of a pepper kick for me.

If you ever see it, Pyrat Rum is a beauty too. If ever I'm out and see it, it's my go to.
Some of the aged Havana is really good too, had some 15year in Mexico that was absolutely delicous.

I've gone through phases of buying some really nice stuff, but at the moment I like Angostura 1919.
I probably have one or two glasses to unwind on a Friday, so the bottle lasts me a while.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been doing a bit of bar work recently and as a teatotaler have been given a few samples of some of our "top shelf" products so I know what I'm pushing...

These guys with a lime/orange wedge and a couple of ice cubes deliver some very nice flavours:
http://www.google.com.au/shopping/p...gPi_4jJiTyxV0V85Hom5SjXY0j6BdSnXc8aApUS8P8HAQ

https://m.danmurphys.com.au/product...GPN-3Py8N_WjQ-Cb4YjO259UnVg7mTOlRQaAr5t8P8HAQ

Both deliver a rich flavour across the whole pallet with a mild to moderate burn. Sadly I've had to use this line too often:

"I'm sorry sir, it would be considered sinful to mix that with coke."

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Zacapa Solero, neat with nothing else, nada, remains the standard for sipping rums for me, and dare I say, well above diplomatico res exclusiva which always rates better in notes, reviews and comps. I hate the new bottle shape for Zacapa btw, old square ftw!

& smash the bottle when empty to use that straw band which fits perfectly on a glass so that 3rd or 4th mojito doesn't get away.

Havent tried pyrat, let me know what it's like.

Summer evenings is a great time for rums, maybe even with a cigar, and who the fck even smokes?

FWIW there was a time when I had a cupboard of Zacapa from work travel and it was going in everything, it is still amazing in R&C, but you kinda need to know it neat to appreciate the cues.

I've been doing a bit of bar work recently and as a teatotaler have been given a few samples of some of our "top shelf" products so I know what I'm pushing...

These guys with a lime/orange wedge and a couple of ice cubes deliver some very nice flavours:
http://www.google.com.au/shopping/p...gPi_4jJiTyxV0V85Hom5SjXY0j6BdSnXc8aApUS8P8HAQ

https://m.danmurphys.com.au/product...GPN-3Py8N_WjQ-Cb4YjO259UnVg7mTOlRQaAr5t8P8HAQ

Both deliver a rich flavour across the whole pallet with a mild to moderate burn. Sadly I've had to use this line too often:

"I'm sorry sir, it would be considered sinful to mix that with coke."

Last edited:

dunndog

Eats Squid
Until relatively recently, my exposure to rum was via Bacardi and Bundy. Needless to say, I would cross the street (or an ocean) to avoid even the pungent stench of these vile 'liquids'. In such low regard do I hold Bundy, that years ago, living in Jindy, my roommate's gf used to manage the promo girls who were at the pub promoting generally Bundy and Carlton cold. They'd be over at ours in their silly/awesome little promo outfits, having a few warm up Bundys on a cold, cold evening, and I'd say 'no thanks' and bee line out the door. Man, to turn that clock back...
Anyhoo, I'm now a big rum convert, with very limited experience I'm a big fan of SJ and CM spiced, usually with dry and lime, the odd dark n stormy goes down tasty too. Drank a bottle of Ratu dark with coke n lime a month back, that slid down bloody easy too. got some great suggestions on this thread to try out, thanks gents and keep it coming!

ForkinGreat

I had a bottle of mount gay white rum, it was allright for mixing, but not that inspiring to drink neat. did have a bit of the texta smell about it, but that may be common to most white rums.

Might buy something different for christmas rum rations this year, maybe the Pyrat or Ron Zacapa Centenario 23

Mount gay eclipse for the christmas pudding icecream :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Havent tried pyrat, let me know what it's like.
For me (non-drinker) i found it sweetish and smooth, with just a moderate rum burn. I sold a big chunk a bottle of Friday night to 3 different guys that had not tried it before, each having 2-4 serves. 1 wanted something different to drink. He was hooked and had quote a few. Another was after a rum and coke (no! Easy...I converted him away from the coke idea and into a straight pyrat. Then a few more...). The last was from Venezuela and turned his nose at this Pampero. He brought a round of the Zacapa 23 for his 4 friends and the Pyrat for himself. Then a second Pyrat...which was the last of the bottle. All believed it to be a very palleteable rum.

Might buy something different for christmas rum rations this year, maybe the Pyrat or Ron Zacapa Centenario 23.
I don't think either will disappoint. One of the common responses to a good rum I'm coming across is surprise that run can be nice. A certain polar bear has a lot to answer for.