Rums

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I don't think either will disappoint. One of the common responses to a good rum I'm coming across is surprise that run can be nice. A certain polar bear has a lot to answer for.
damn straight. that frikken polar bear!! I suspect there may (allegedly) be polar bear pee in every bottle, mixed with cough medicine. boot polish and metho :wacko: :wacko:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Got a bottle of Kraken on the go at the moment, pretty damn awesome.

If you want something with real kick, try Stroh 80, which as its name suggests is a very potent 80% abv. It's Austrian, and has a different character to the Caribbean ones.

golden path

Banned
Beenleigh Double Barrel is my current fave.

The new Bati Dark rum from Fiji is a classic Caribbean, caramelly rum and not bad.

I've also drank a lot of Sangsom in Thailand....OK, not great but when in Rome, etc....

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up a few bottles over xmas and March, and April from Dan's and DF, forgive my inability to convey how they taste. Best to get your own!

Diplomatico Reserva - got talked into this one, it's def nice but there's something in there that tastes artificially sweet or as if there's something that's been added in there. Back to back against zacapa 23 it prob wins the shootout, but on its own its a bit disappointing with the mystery ingredient, I don't know

Angostura 1919 - not sure what I was thinking, there's a model above this that I was probably aiming for. The screw top should have been a giveaway. That said it's nice and caramelly without being too sweet, straight is doable but a little rough around the edges, and tbh last few drops have been as 1.5times rum qty & a mixer, and it's amazing. Bring on winter.

Zacapa XO - finally pulled the trigger in DF after dreaming of this for 10yrs, and it doesn't disappoint - not as sweet as the 23 but still sweet, more flavours, more complexity whatever - overall a more satisfying rum. Not sure it's twice as good as others, but back to back with diplomatico and the 23 it's the clear winner for me. Hopefully it lasts longer than a few months.

& Mt Gay XO - most recent purchase for $65 (third of the XO above) from Dan's who can resist cheap XO. It's actually not bad at all, it doesn't pretend to be zacapa/diplomatico, but holds its own very well and I reckon bang for buck prob #1 if you like a drier/less sweet/woodier rum. And the glug-glug-glug of the rum pooring out the neck of the bottle makes is fantastic.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Picked up a few bottles over xmas and March, and April from Dan's and DF, forgive my inability to convey how they taste. Best to get your own!

& Mt Gay XO - most recent purchase for $65 (third of the XO above) from Dan's who can resist cheap XO. It's actually not bad at all, it doesn't pretend to be zacapa/diplomatico, but holds its own very well and I reckon bang for buck prob #1 if you like a drier/less sweet/woodier rum. And the glug-glug-glug of the rum pooring out the neck of the bottle makes is fantastic.
The Mt Gay XO is matured in Bourbon Barrels, I think. definitely influences the flavour profile.

The diplomatico has a bit of added sugar.
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_873431/diplomatico-reserva-exclusiva-rum-700ml

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

After forever
Currently have CM Black Spiced Rum, Zacapa 23 and Zacapa XO on the go.

The XO is excellent, but not twice as good as the 23 is given the price difference. I get mine duty free which makes it very good value.

golden path

Banned
One of the common responses to a good rum I'm coming across is surprise that run can be nice. A certain polar bear has a lot to answer for.

TBH mate, I really had no idea about other rums either and never paid much attention to it - only really having seen Bundy and assuming rum was "rum" and it all tasted a bit like ass. I had drunk Bacardi white as a kid but never really equated it as "rum."

By the by, Mrs Path and myself touched down in Fiji in 2008 for a holiday, and went into the airport duty free and got our vital supplies to take to the island. At that time we were both bourbon drinkers and got some cheap Jim Beam (I know, I know...) and a big bottle of Cointreau. But there sat these one litre bottles of Bounty rum, made in Fiji, for about $20AUD and it was 52% alcohol. So I got one figuring we'd just give it away if we didn't like it. The Mrs didn't mind a bit of Bundy at that time anyway.

Well we didn't mind it, and from then on tried other rums, like Appleton, Bacardi Black, and others. And have rarely touched bourbon of any sort since, apart from an occasional dalliance with Blanton's or Maker's Mark.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
TBH mate, I really had no idea about other rums either and never paid much attention to it - only really having seen Bundy and assuming rum was "rum" and it all tasted a bit like ass. I had drunk Bacardi white as a kid but never really equated it as "rum."

By the by, Mrs Path and myself touched down in Fiji in 2008 for a holiday, and went into the airport duty free and got our vital supplies to take to the island. At that time we were both bourbon drinkers and got some cheap Jim Beam (I know, I know...) and a big bottle of Cointreau. But there sat these one litre bottles of Bounty rum, made in Fiji, for about $20AUD and it was 52% alcohol. So I got one figuring we'd just give it away if we didn't like it. The Mrs didn't mind a bit of Bundy at that time anyway.

Well we didn't mind it, and from then on tried other rums, like Appleton, Bacardi Black, and others. And have rarely touched bourbon of any sort since, apart from an occasional dalliance with Blanton's or Maker's Mark.
That's mostly because bourbon is gross.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

That's mostly because bourbon is gross.
Especially Jim Beam. It is to bourbon what Bundy is to rum.

golden path

Banned
Yeah, Jim Beam and Cougar. And Woody cans. Dole day favourites. Straya, cunts!

I need 'nuther bottle of rum. Might head to Uncle Dan's today. And I don't mean Daniel Andrews.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah, Jim Beam and Cougar. And Woody cans. Dole day favourites. Straya, cunts!

I need 'nuther bottle of rum. Might head to Uncle Dan's today. And I don't mean Daniel Andrews.
Go for something a little different. Grab the Black Seal, it smells like a real Christmas cake should. Grab some oranges and grape fruit as well. Squash/pulp/squeeze a wedge of either fruit into your glass and let it infuse with the shot. You'll soon know of you prefer it sweet (orange) or tart (grapefruit).

golden path

Banned
The Mrs and I put a bottle of that away a while ago. It was OK, but not great. Will try the fruit thing - thanks for the tip!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Rum is clearly the new IPA - or is it the old Gin?

Anyways, what are the mixer options for spiced - dry GA? Ice and sparkling? I'm a noob, but I need to try and look a little more sophisticated late at night

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The Mrs and I put a bottle of that away a while ago. It was OK, but not great. Will try the fruit thing - thanks for the tip!
It is very aromatic, so not to everyone's liking. In my days (short and few, but recent) hustling people from a bar with 12 different rums it was an easy sell, mostly due to its aroma. Pretty much any acidic fruit will cut it nicely, just seek a good balance which in my opinion is minimal additions (see below).

Anyways, what are the mixer options for spiced - dry GA? Ice and sparkling? I'm a noob, but I need to try and look a little more sophisticated late at night
1 ice cube, if you really need to mix it.

Best way to look at this is why are you mixing it? For a taste reason or so that it lasts longer. What spiced rum is it?

Here's an easy one if you have a few ingredients in a 6 to 8 ounce glass
1 shot rum
1 tea spoon raw sugar (stir into rum gently)
1 wedge lemon/lime (squeeze in the good stuff and drop the carcass in)
A few mint leaves (bruise them a bit)
3 ice cubes
Soda water top up (can also use ginger ale)

Stir it gently when all is in the glass. Its a mini mojito.

There's also the mini-colada (yep miniature pina-colada):
1 shot rum (best suited to a sweet molassesy dark rum rather than a sharp punchy one)
1 shot pineapple juice
1 dash coconut milk
Dress it with some roasted coconut flakes. This one can require a little fine tuning on volumes for personal pallets.

If you want to look sophisticated get some nice cognac balloons and serve your evening fine of choice neat. Spirits, liqueur, coffee, chocolate, warm milk...doesn't reay matter what, a good glass goes a long way. The winning is real.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Came across an opportunity to sample a good spiced rum with fresh pressed mandarin juice. It was an interesting combination.

binner

Hath shat hymself
cognac is next

it is the old gin my friend......