Rums

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This, so much love for this one but my local doesn't seem to stock it anymore.
It has become hard to get all of a sudden. First time I opened a bottle I was blown away by the aroma. It literally smelt like a Christmas cake. Speaking of...four pillars apparently have an amazing g Christmas cake gin. Anyway the goslings team also do an aged version that I haven't tried yet. It costs many pennies.

If your local won't look after you, order it online. I've used Nicks before and the service is exceptional. Free delivery if you hit $200 also helps. Grab a few of those huge sales and you'll be laughing while sitting by the fire smoking your cigars.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
It has become hard to get all of a sudden. First time I opened a bottle I was blown away by the aroma. It literally smelt like a Christmas cake. Speaking of...four pillars apparently have an amazing g Christmas cake gin. Anyway the goslings team also do an aged version that I haven't tried yet. It costs many pennies.

If your local won't look after you, order it online. I've used Nicks before and the service is exceptional. Free delivery if you hit $200 also helps. Grab a few of those huge sales and you'll be laughing while sitting by the fire smoking your cigars.
Have you tried the 151 proof?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Gave El Dorado 12 year a taste last night. If you want to spend up on a really tasty spirit this will deliver the goods. While it isn't an over complex assault of divergent flavours, it is quite smooth and rich with what it has. Then smooth, medium sweet, a little oak + mild spices, some sugary caramel (perhaps brown sugar) and vanilla notes. Did I mention smooth? I palmed it for a bit and as it warmed it opened up nicely. But at $17 for a serve it is probably not an every day thing! On sale at nick's for about $80/bottle though. Now I'm curious about the 15 year version.

https://www.nicks.com.au/el-dorado-12-year-old-rum-700ml

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I plunged my hand so deep into the dude stash jar (no idea why I have one...i live alone) over the last few days that I could see the bottom...on the plus side I can now review a pair rums from the deep end of the pool.

First up is this:
DSC_2917~3.JPG

That is what the Black Tot looks like when it is served. The rum exceeds my ability to describe it, so let's settle on it was sensational and easily scored 11/10. Coming in at 54.3% I had expected a bit of a punch, but it was smooth with barely a noticable hint of alcohol on the nose or in the mouth. The aroma is potent; I was able to smell it from about 1m away when the bar tender opened it and once it had breathed for about 10 minutes it could be smelt by people as they approached. For me the nose was rich - caramel, toffee, maple syrup, golden syrup, apple, hazelnut, banana, coco...evolving more as I went along. Interesting there was no strong vanilla to it. The palate was all encompassing with a lot of the usual sweet rum flavours being supported by a spice, wood, leather, berry and crisp apple. It had a very long lingering presence and my empty glass smelt a little like a cigar as the rum aroma subsided.

I was glad to have given it a try and would happily put a bottle on the shelf, never to open but to appreciate. I love the story of the rum and the history attached and it's rarity makes for a great collectible. For the $110 the shot cost me though...I know there are a lot of very good rums I could buy a bottle of and be almost as happy. If you have some money to burn live it up!

Ref;
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/12109/black-tot-last-consignment-royal-naval-rum

I also had the Zacapa XO. There is a lot of talk about this rum not being worth the extra $$$ over the Zacapa 23, I disagree. This rum was sensational - rich deep flavours and strong aroma, well worth it. But don't think I am writing off the 23. That is still one of the best bang for buck options around.

Ref:
https://www.nicks.com.au/ron-zacapa-centenario-x-o-rum-750ml

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've seen that one. It doesn't have any strong interest to me because it doesn't have the history of the original black tot. I'd be certain that is an amazing rum though, demerara rums are excellent.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...here's a bit of a grave dig.

• Diplomatica Reserva Exclusiva. Smooth and rich. Brown sugar, caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, a little spice and a touch of christmas. This is one of my go to rums when people ask "what should I try?"
  • Diplomatica Mantuano. A great option if you are on a bit of a budget. While it isn't as refined and smooth as the Reserva, it offers a great taste profile all of its own. It is is drier and less sugary, with gentle (mostly orange) citrus and mild all spice flavours. It also rolls off the tongue nicely when you order it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A few recent additions...

Kirk and Sweeney 12 year
This is very tasty. It is quite vanilla, sweet, syrupy, smooth, and rich. There is a reasonable lingering on the tongue. Let it breath a bit and it really comes alive.

Admiral Rodney
This was really complex. Let it breath and it gives a lot of aromatics and tantalises the tongue.

St. Lucia Distillers Chairman's Reserve Spiced Rum
This sucks. It might be ok mixed or in a cocktail, but straight up it sucks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I had the chance to try a few fancy rums over the weekend. I dropped into what is (apparently - they aren't shy of bragging!) one of nsw top rated rum bars. I suspect this was mostly bull shit and can name 2 local locations with a bigger range and plenty with more knowledgeable staff. Anyway they were open, not crowded, and I was thirsty...

Angostura No 1: at $19 a pop and pushed by the staff I had some high expectations. It fell short but was still enjoyable and worth a try if you want a smooth easy drinking rum. The flavour isn't overly complex and not as oaky as I was expecting (which I normally quite like in a rum). At first the aroma was a little sharp, but letting it breathe with a little palming and the rum opened up.

Dos Maderas Luxus: this was sensational. It is aromatic, rich and thick in the mouth, with lots of flavours happening. It's well worth a try if you're in the mood to spend.