Running the 1x drivetrain experiment

safreek

I've refused to go to 1x but if I did it would have to be the 12 speed eagle 10-50 cassette. The type of trails I ride very dramatically so being stuck to minimal gears is not much of an advantage for me. I ride climbs where if you stop you need to push your bike a fair way to be able to start again and most rides I clock over 50km/h on descents. I run 2 main bikes, one with (2x) 22-32t with a 11-36 cassette and the other (3x) 24-32-42 with a cassette 11-36. I hardly ever drop chains too, when I do something is generally out of adjustment or bent. Some bikes must hold chains better than others I guess, the 2x I generally keep in 32T but it has a bash plate so dropping the chain on it is nearly impossible.
Don't fuck around, just go 13x hydro.
How could you lose
Damn, didn't see storks post til tooooo late

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got:

1x10 32:11-42 27.5 enduro
2x10 22-32:11-36 26 freeride
3x10 22-44:11-36 29 monstercross

About to build a
1x10 11-42 29 enduro

Horses for course really. The 1x is ok on the enduro but there are times I wish I had the granny ring. The 2x on the freeride is a must due to the weight of the rig. The 3x is necessary on the monstercross for the roads. 3x wouldn't work on the freeride and enduro because of clearance issues.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Mind you the shimano di2, 2x that does it’s thing with one shifter would be a great compromise..
Sure is, but I find it's cross over points a bit awkward. It holds to 1-5 then the next shift is 2-4, but I'd prefer to run it down to 1-7 for the closer ratios. Going the other way it'll hold all the way to 2-1 (36x42) before changing to 1-2, which I feel is putting too much strain on the chain.

Don't quote me but I think that can all be fiddled with the eTube app and a Bluetooth dongle

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sorry but all this and past gear talk is interesting but comparisons are just ridiculous.
Probably most of you have never met each other and probably range from 20 to 65 yo and weight from 60 to 120 kg and height from 150 to 190 cm .
point is how can you compare gears when you all need different ones and ride such different terrain ??

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Sorry but all this and past gear talk is interesting but comparisons are just ridiculous.
Probably most of you have never met each other and probably range from 20 to 65 yo and weight from 60 to 120 kg and height from 150 to 190 cm .
point is how can you compare gears when you all need different ones and ride such different terrain ??
Because physics. Most people on this forum are going to have a FTP to weight ratio or 2-4w/kg. Most of the bikes are going to be 10-15 kgs, or 17kgs if you're @Zaf or 20kgs if you're @safreek. Most of the terrain is going to be +/- 15%. It's not like we're comparing a car to a Saturn V.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Because physics. Most people on this forum are going to have a FTP to weight ratio or 2-4w/kg. Most of the bikes are going to be 10-15 kgs, or 17kgs if you're @Zaf or 20kgs if you're @safreek. Most of the terrain is going to be +/- 15%. It's not like we're comparing a car to a Saturn V.

Or those of us who have bikes dedicated to specific disciplines.

Flow-Rider

Burner
You only have to look at pro riders in the tour de france and see all the different ratio rear clusters they run. Some people can hold a high cadence for a long time and some people can't so it's pretty hard to say one size fits all.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Get outta here with your common sense.
I run 32-11/42 and so should everyone else, ESPECIALLY if it’s a dh rig.

And if your shorter than my 6”4, grow some shortass.

AND if your lighyer than my 94odd kg, hit the gym and/or pizza, your choice.

Then the mtb industry will have to cater to me only! Mwahaha

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You only have to look at pro riders in the tour de france and see all the different ratio rear clusters they run. Some people can hold a high cadence for a long time and some people can't so it's pretty hard to say one size fits all.
How can you look at their gears when you have all those scrawny lycra butts

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sure is, but I find it's cross over points a bit awkward. It holds to 1-5 then the next shift is 2-4, but I'd prefer to run it down to 1-7 for the closer ratios. Going the other way it'll hold all the way to 2-1 (36x42) before changing to 1-2, which I feel is putting too much strain on the chain.

Don't quote me but I think that can all be fiddled with the eTube app and a Bluetooth dongle
Yes, the shift points can be played with.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
I would like to at least test it. TBH it’s the replacement cost that scares me. GX cassette is dearer than a full XT mini groupo.
You won't, it'll either sit in the cleverly labeled box for ever or I'll end up buying it back after you chopsticks me.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk