Rust prevention for steel frames

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Greetings fellow Rotoberians

I have recently acquired a new steel hardtail mountain bike to get my fat ass back into riding. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for "preventative maintenance" in regards to rust prevention. I live within 5-6kms from the ocean and I am riding literally right next to the ocean on occasion.

Should I apply something before I ride it too much? Or can I get away with doing nothing?

Many thanks!

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fish oil into the tubing, shake it all about, do the hokey pokie and drain it out. Bit of wd40 on a rag and wipe over frame, and bolt heads, keep drive train lubed.

floody

Wheel size expert
I'd look at lanolin products. Or light machine oil. Or cavity wax. Practically anything but fishoil.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
try and find a can of this stuff- CBC usually has shitloads on the shelf
crc.jpg
it does have a very slight yellowish colour, but a quick light wipe with a rag should do it -i use the stuff all the time, its magic
EDIT: dont use machine oil, as it will attract dust and sand and stick like shit to a blankie!

noel0409

Likes Bikes
Lanolin is the best stuff for rust prevention buy Lanox and spray the whole bike except brakes, i live on the coast and have a bike from 1995 steel frame and its still pretty good Lanox is better than Inox or WD40. I use Lanox on all my tools etc as well

stirk

Burner
ahhhhh, paint it

Knuckles tip to get a corrosion inhibitor into the frame is a good one as it's not likely there is any paint in there and rust you can't see is the most destructive rust.

I use a number of different products on the steel parts of my bikes, I don't think what you use is so important just that the maintenance and reapplication is regular.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Mix the fishoil with 1/2 thinners and spray it through the frame with a spray gun where you can and pour the rest in from a bottle. It penetrates into the steel more and it gets into every corner.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
There is a product called J.P. Weigles Bicycle Frame Saver which is meant to be the ducks nuts but I have always just sprayed no odour fish oil through the frame from all holes, spinning the frame around. Let it hang and dry for a couple of days to stop weeping.

camoshop

Banned
i need to do this to the cotic, noticed a smishing sound!! water got trapped in the frame after a wet ride!