Ryno Lite or DS-2

I'm planning on upgrading to discs and I need 2 upgrade my hubs. I do Freeride type work mixed with jumps and DH. I'm looking 2 spend as little as possible on the upgrades.
I have seen some wheel sets at JensonUSA for $89 and $99 us, Deore discs laced to Sun Ryno Lite rims and Deore Discs with Sun DS-2 rims. Would buying either of these sets worthwhile or can I do better? also are these up 2 the type of work i'm looking at doing?

Rik

logged out
If anything, I'd reccomend getting a Wheelcraft wheel. Deore hubs are OK, mine feels like crap, and has done since day 1, the bearings aren't top notch (damn ball+cone too).
My main concern here, is how would a wheel take being shipped OS, I'm always paranoid about goods being destroyed in transit.

Apart from that, seems alright, you could go better (I'd reccomend Dice rims on DT hubs, I'm loving mine), but if that's what you want to spend, then go for it.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well I can't comment on the DS-2s, but my Rhyno Lites have been great. I've come up short on 180 hops heaps and I've still barely touched them, they do have an uber-tight build though; man when these things go they're gonna go in a big way .

I would not mail-order a wheelset though, and before everyone jumps on me for harping on about going to your LBS, hear me out.
I know for a fact that we get bikes in to the shop with bent wheels and wheels alone which have been knocked around, and some of those have only come a couple of hundred kays by courier, you're ordering your from the other side of the globe!
To make matters worse, if a shop gets in a slightly bent wheel in, they can true it up before passing it on to the customer, you don't have that luxury unless you are comfortable truing your own wheels. I can;t speak for other shops, but I know that if we sell a wheelset, and after a ride or two they're a bit out because the spokes have settled a bit we'll tweak them up. Once again, you're going to be forking out for this service unless you'll do it yourself.

Of course this is all speculation, and your wheels might be fine, but I don't think it's worth the risk, not with this type of component.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm prepared for people to argue this point, but wheels are one of the few areas i've seen where you won't make much of a saving (if any after customs and gst and import and christ knows what else).
if you find that your lbs is a bit expensive to build wheels for you (and it can add by the time you get hub, rim, spokes labour etc), try wheelcraft.
it's probably still best tho to try and talk your lbs into a bit of a discount and get them there, as wombat said, at least you have the option of getting them trued and serviced for a while. ask around localy for a good builder tho as some guys really suck. you'll know who they are by the amount of smack people will talk about them :)

Nice. thanks guys, I got a deice SMO back rim already and i been talkin 2 some mates about getin some disc hubs and a new front rim. The options they gave me were not 2 bad but then 1 guy showed me Jenson. I prob wont go them now though cos I like the sound of having someone who can true my wheels 4 me (I can do it but I aint brilliant) and by the sound of it os wheels arent 2 quality reliable. BTW who is wheelcraft, i dont think i've herd of em?

Rik

logged out
Wheelcraft is the wheelbuilding section of DirtWorks. It's another wholesaler, which means you have to go to your local store to order the wheels. I've seen many pairs of wheels from them get pounded, and I'm also doing the best to destroy my set of stuntmans, but they're damn solid and a very strong, reliable build, so they last the distance.
Check out www.wheelcraft.com.au and it should have each wheels specs and rrp, and decide from there what you want.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
On the topic of Rhyno lite rims i personally found mine to be weak. A lot of people though seem to be happy with them ??? Maybe mine were a poor build...