Saddles for lady's bums

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Posting for a friend......
Kidding. My wife is struggling to find a saddle that works for her roadbike. Her Spesh power mimic 143mm that she loves on her mtb doesn't cut it. I've tried a wider mimic too and no go. The issue is mainly the front part of the saddle not the seat bones area. We've tried a WTB volt which was her second favourite and that's no goods. Any recommendations from Ladies here or fellas that have lady bums or wives/partners that ride roadies? She hasn't had a bike fit as we are in the process of looking for another 2nd hand roadie for her so her current will be a trainer bike.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Mrs had a Rocket V on her road bike. The thinking was that an MTB saddle would be more comfortable. That one didn't work for her.

We have now put a Selle Italia SMP trk which she is happy with now. The trk provide more support around the rear and are soft but not spongy. Not the lightest but you can't have everything.

Finding a saddle can be a potentially expensive hit n' miss process.

DMan

Mrs had a Rocket V on her road bike. The thinking was that an MTB saddle would be more comfortable. That one didn't work for her.

We have now put a Selle Italia SMP trk which she is happy with now. The trk provide more support around the rear and are soft but not spongy. Not the lightest but you can't have everything.

Finding a saddle can be a potentially expensive hit n' miss process.
Tell me about it. I'm lucky. My Volt works for my MTB and roadie. I'll check it out.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
My wife recently removed an expensive 'ladies specific' saddle (can't remember brand or model) and put on a cheap but much softer venzo saddle from cycling deal. Apparently a massive improvement.

My personal experience has always been more about shape than amount/density of padding, but it seems there may be a bit more to the padding argument when it comes to lady bums?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

DMan

My wife recently removed an expensive 'ladies specific' saddle (can't remember brand or model) and put on a cheap but much softer venzo saddle from cycling deal. Apparently a massive improvement.

My personal experience has always been more about shape than amount/density of padding, but it seems there may be a bit more to the padding argument when it comes to lady bums?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I think shape is a biggie. I think my wife puts more weight on the front of her saddle than the rear. My wife does of kms on hers so it's worth getting something nice. For her and me.

Quency

Likes Dirt
My other half uses a Spesh Power (old version, not the mimic) on the roadie. went through about 5 different saddles before we landed on that. tried womens specific and not. seems to be vary by person as to what suits. MTB seems less of an issue as up and out of the saddle so frequently.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sell SMP make a womens specific dynamic which is the ducks nuts. I'm told you can try them at certain smp stockist like Bikebug.
The Selle range seem to have tiny differences, well, in the order of a few mm's shorter, longer, wider, narrower etc. Make it damn hard to find the 'right' one. I have a SMP Well on the road bike and it is very comfortable for me. I didn't want to shell out too much on the uber leather varieties as tasty as they might be.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
are you suggesting that I have a lady's arse?
:D:D

I was more referring to the angle!

Anyway, if you do, so do I. Somewhere around 2001, I sat on my mates daughter's bike with a cut out saddle, and I haven't ridden a solid saddle since.....

DMan

:D:D

I was more referring to the angle!

Anyway, if you do, so do I. Somewhere around 2001, I sat on my mates daughter's bike with a cut out saddle, and I haven't ridden a solid saddle since.....
Let's be honest, we all have one. I stole her Mimic but she caught me and put it on her mtb... I have tried changing the angle though and forwards and backwards shifts...

DMan

Sadly after much anticipation the Deva is a no go. I might try it though....

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does Specialized still do their test saddle program where you basically buy a saddle and get a test version and keep swapping styles until your happy? From memory they where red (test saddles) that’s how my wife found hers.

Have you done the cardboard sit down test to determine width? That’s the best place to start imo