Saint Crank Bolt won't come out. need help

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey Farkiners. I recently tryed to take my saint cranks of. The two clamp bolts on the Non drive side, needed to come out. Any way one came out easy enough, how ever the previous owner must have used a 5 metre long allen key to tighten it up. When i tryed to undo it the allen head simply striped leaving the bolt nice ant tight inside :mad:

So i was wondering if any one would know of any tools or any person/store that would be able to get this bolt out without damageing the frame or crank in any way.

Thanks all
Kind Regards Matthew
:)

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A mate had the same problem a few weeks ago. I've got a drill press, so just drilled the middle of the old bolt out. And then simply re-tapped the original thread, and installed a replacement bolt from shimano. You'll want to be careful your confident doing the above though, as if your not spot on, its all over.

Link

Likes Dirt
The reason that you were able to get one bolt out, and subsequently found the other to be stuck, is because you need to loosen them together. As with any pinch bolt set up, when you undo one bolt, it transfers all the 'pinching' force onto the other bolt - making it seem like it is done up really tight. If you do manage to fix your crank, remember this otherwise you will end up in the same situation again.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So , following on from Links advice , replace the first bolt and tighten. Try undoing the rooted bolt again. If it moves , only undo it a quarter of a turn. Then back off the good bolt a quarter. Keep alternating until they're out. (do they have to come all the way out or just backed off to remove the crank ?)

If the allen key wont grip the head of the rounded bolt enough to turn it , try an imperial size allen key or Torx bit thats a tighter fit in the head. Tap it in with a hammer if necessary. (gently , dont get too brutal ! )

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey fellas. Thanks for all the replays this is very helpful. Im going right now to try everything that was stated.
Thanks Again
Kind Regards Matt

Matt- D8

Likes Dirt
Hey all. Bad news. :(
I tryed everything, and no matter how hard i tryed it just wouldnt budge.
I no of two other options:
1) Useing a Drill press drill a small whole directly in the centre of the bolt however far in, and use easy outs ( reverse thread broken bolt removers).

2) OR- Depending on the Bolt diameter, use a 1mm smaller or so drill bit and completley drill the bolt out with a drill press, then re-tap the original thread.

So what do you guys reakon, which method would be easier.
Thank you
Kind Regards Matt

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Use the easy-out. Less hassle retapping the thread. Ive had to do this numerous times working on my car and never really had an issue (except where there wasnt space to get the drill in)

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use the easy-out. Less hassle retapping the thread. Ive had to do this numerous times working on my car and never really had an issue (except where there wasnt space to get the drill in)
Plus one vote for the easy-out, just be gentle and patient.