Sam who?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a fan of Sam Hill to be honest...

Sure he's quick and he's Australian but something about him makes me hate him. Also I would rate Steve Peat alot higher then Sam on the ladder of awesomeness.

Thing I hate most about him (not his fault at all) is all the young guys copying his every move and thinking every other way is wrong/shit. I'm all for mainstream and I don't try and be different to much but it's abit ridiculous when everyone is riding Sundays with full TLD kits and the flatest 800mm bars they can find...

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also I would rate Steve Peat alot higher then Sam on the ladder of awesomeness.
The only way i can regocnise Steve Peat is by his teeth.............. god the bug me :p And i recon Gee Atherton would be a close second on said ladder of awesomeness

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Not a fan of Sam Hill to be honest...

Sure he's quick and he's Australian but something about him makes me hate him. Also I would rate Steve Peat alot higher then Sam on the ladder of awesomeness.

Thing I hate most about him (not his fault at all) is all the young guys copying his every move and thinking every other way is wrong/shit. I'm all for mainstream and I don't try and be different to much but it's abit ridiculous when everyone is riding Sundays with full TLD kits and the flatest 800mm bars they can find...
Your most definitely un-Australian! Steve Peat is a stereotypical pom, he's always whining about something... (fitting that he won the world champs on the track he slagged on video just hours prior to his win) :p Interesting how you're 'all for mainstream' but then piss on what essentially 'mainstream' would be defined as in DH. I think you need to stop living under your rock, Hill rides a Demo and runs something like 738 wide Renthals with some pretty solid rise!:rolleyes:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your most definitely un-Australian! Steve Peat is a stereotypical pom, he's always whining about something... (fitting that he won the world champs on the track he slagged on video just hours prior to his win) :p Interesting how you're 'all for mainstream' but then piss on what essentially 'mainstream' would be defined as in DH. I think you need to stop living under your rock, Hill rides a Demo and runs something like 738 wide Renthals with some pretty solid rise!:rolleyes:
Un-Australian? haha what a joke., I'd also put Jared Graves up there too.. with a few other Aussie riders. Just saying, Sam Hill is a machine and has put together some killer runs (like champery) but he's beatable.

I never bagged "mainstream" I was having a go at people that run that gear for NO other reason then "Sam Hill does". Again, Not his fault.. He's a fast rider.

felts bend

Likes Bikes
I forget which mag it is and its out in the car so i can't be bothered checking, but inside was a WC feature and had an interview with Hill,Minnaar and Gee Atherton and i always beleived (Having met none of those involved) that Minnaar and Atherton would be uptight and up themselves and Sam to be quite cool and laid back but after reading the interviews i believe I had it completely backwards

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sam Hill is the Ryan Vilipotto of downhill!
How so?
Ryan Villopoto is american, Sam hill is Australian.
Sam hill doesn't have red hair either.
A more likely comparison would be Chad Reed and Sam Hill and even then its not a good one.
Why are you using motocross riders to explain who downhill riders are on a mountain bike forum anyway...?

Last edited:

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Un-Australian? haha what a joke., I'd also put Jared Graves up there too.. with a few other Aussie riders. Just saying, Sam Hill is a machine and has put together some killer runs (like champery) but he's beatable.
I never insinuated that Hill was unbeatable...

I never bagged "mainstream" I was having a go at people that run that gear for NO other reason then "Sam Hill does". Again, Not his fault.. He's a fast rider.
I don't think too many people run stuff just cause "Sam Hill does," and if they were they'd be making a pretty decent choice...:rolleyes:
People run similar stuff to him because it makes sense to - wider bars, more aggressive geometry and pants all have their place in racing. All these things would now be considered mainstream in DH. I know that hating on Hill makes you feel badass, but really you need to pull your head in...

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't think too many people run stuff just cause "Sam Hill does," and if they were they'd be making a pretty decent choice...:rolleyes:
People run similar stuff to him because it makes sense to - wider bars, more aggressive geometry and pants all have their place in racing. All these things would now be considered mainstream in DH. I know that hating on Hill makes you feel badass, but really you need to pull your head in...
I'm not hating on him, I just don't see him as the "god" you do. You seem to get your panties in a knot the second someone doesn't aggree that Sam is the best thing since sliced bread. The reason I say all this is because this thread is titled "Sam who?"

There's plenty of people out there running his gear only because he runs it. While it's still decent gear, most of the stuff I've seen, doesn't suit the rider. Wider bars have improved the sport but people should buy there equipment based on there own fit. Not what someone else is running.

Also, Sam seems to comes off as abit arrogant in his interviews and videos. Where as most other riders couldn't care less that there winning because they love riding.

You need to read what I'm actually saying and not just jump down my throat for not praising your legend.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
I'm not hating on him, I just don't see him as the "god" you do. You seem to get your panties in a knot the second someone doesn't aggree that Sam is the best thing since sliced bread. The reason I say all this is because this thread is titled "Sam who?"
Could you please point out where I insinuated that he's my god? I seem to have missed it...:rolleyes: Personally, I admire all the top riders in the sport and think that they are a testament to hard work and self belief. I don't believe title of this thread has no relevance to your arguments, more that you want to bash Hill, whether it be because people look up to him or because you don't like how he sounds on camera.
Could you please explain the logic in "oooooooooo, that guy wears similar stuff to Sam Hill, therefore I hate Hill" as this is the argument that your posts are promoting.

Wider bars have improved the sport but people should buy there equipment based on there own fit. Not what someone else is running.
Have you ever considered the fact that people might be buying wider bars based on their fit? I know thats what I did, along with the rest of my riding buddies.

Also, Sam seems to comes off as abit arrogant in his interviews and videos. Where as most other riders couldn't care less that there winning because they love riding.
Your bagging someone because they want to be the best? Seems to me that you have a case of tall poppy syndrome. The top riders in the world are at the pointy end because they want to win/be the best. This includes Greg, Gee, Aaron, Fabien and your beloved Steve Peat. I don't think you get the idea that determination is what gets you to the top, passion is what keeps you there.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't believe title of this thread has no relevance to your arguments, more that you want to bash Hill, whether it be because people look up to him or because you don't like how he sounds on camera.
Could you please explain the logic in "oooooooooo, that guy wears similar stuff to Sam Hill, therefore I hate Hill" as this is the argument that your posts are promoting.

It has lots of relevance. The world of DH doesn't revolve around Sam Hill. Maybe I phrased my first post wrong, I hate what Sam has (accidentally) created. I don't hate the rider. I just don't think he's the best.

Have you ever considered the fact that people might be buying wider bars based on their fit? I know thats what I did, along with the rest of my riding buddies.

I did consider that, I said it in my last post, you and your buddies are sensible. But I see many short fellas riding around like monkeys because they can't reach the ends of their bars.

Your bagging someone because they want to be the best? Seems to me that you have a case of tall poppy syndrome. The top riders in the world are at the pointy end because they want to win/be the best. This includes Greg, Gee, Aaron, Fabien and your beloved Steve Peat. I don't think you get the idea that determination is what gets you to the top, passion is what keeps you there.

You know every Australian has abit of Tall poppy syndrome in them? here you are calling me "UnAustralian". But no, As i said in previous posts, I'm not hating on Sam because he's fast, quite the opposite!

Also You can have determination and passion and not be a cock. "Beloved Steve peat"? I'm just saying He's got 17 world cup wins under his belt and I consider him a far better rider.
You need to calm down a little. I'm not bashing Sam Hill as a rider, I'm hateing on what he's done to the DH scene unintentionally. You may not see it, but I see many young guys riding around looking like fools because they idolize Sam and copy his every move. There's nothing really wrong with doing that, Everyone has there hero, but hating on everything else at the same time grinds my gears.

I have the same hate for Apple, because everyone jumps on Apple and hates everything else without any consideration. It's close minded and stupid.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This thread, went from a lame troll, to just plain lame. shut it you two!
Haha My bad :eek: I have a thing for stupid arguments.

World Cup round 2 tomorrow! Gee Atherton for the win, I don't see any of our Aussies getting up at fort william unfortunately.

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
Last one guys, Harmonix and the like can resume pretending that they are hill after this. :cool:

To the in quote replies:
-Sam hasn't created anything, there will always be a culture of blind favoritism, especially among the younger demographic. :p
-You have to remember that Peaty has been racing WC for 8 years more than Hill. In the time that Hill and Peaty have been riding against each other, Hill has 11 wins to Peaty's 9, Peaty has one more WC overall, but Hill has 2 more Senior World Champs to his name. I'd argue that Peaty is not a far better rider than Hill.

You need to calm down a little. I'm not bashing Sam Hill as a rider, I'm hateing on what he's done to the DH scene unintentionally. You may not see it, but I see many young guys riding around looking like fools because they idolize Sam and copy his every move. There's nothing really wrong with doing that, Everyone has there hero, but hating on everything else at the same time grinds my gears.
Perfectly calm here. :) I don't think you can judge someone's frame of mind off your own level of butt hurt.:rolleyes:
The thing is you have it all wrong, you're hating on the wrong people. Hill hasn't done anything to the riding scene other than pull out some amazing runs popularise an alternative way of setting up your bike. And you cant let people like the young riders you are referring to grind your gears, they are teenagers, of course they are right in THEIR opinions!

I have the same hate for Apple, because everyone jumps on Apple and hates everything else without any consideration. It's close minded and stupid.
The problem is you only see one perspective. On the other hand, the number of Apple users is far less than the number of Windows users, and I know more than a few guys who love to blindly bash Apple for the sake of doing so.

EDIT:
Regarding Fort William tomorrow, I just want Athy to do well :)

Last edited: