AM Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon CC

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After quitting DH racing I punted around on a hardtail for about 4 years, did a lot of trail riding and entered the odd enduro XC then gave up riding all together for almost a year. I had a lot going on but started to really miss riding bikes, I've been a MTB rider for almost 20 years now. Come 2015 I decided it was time to splash out and purchase a new bike, things had changed a lot, bigger wheels, dropper posts, none of which existed the last time I bought a bike, in fact I have not had the funds to purchase a complete bike since around 1998, only ever enough cash for upgraded parts or a new frame.

So this is what I decided to buy, its all custom built through Summit Cycles in Sydney, the guys there know me well enough to recommend something I would like. The first ride on this thing I was just chuckling to myself, its like a magic carpet ride, it just silently glides over everything, there ain't much worth slowing down for. I could not be more happy with the bike and besides setting up the sag I have not even played with the damper settings yet.

Here she is in all her orangeness!

Frame - Santa Cruz 5010 cc
Rear shock - Fox Float X2 Factory Kashima
Front shock/fork - RS Pike RCT3 140mm
Handlebars - Easton Carbon Haven
Stem - Thomson 70mm
Headset - Cane Creek Forty
Grips - Deity lock-on
Saddle - WTB Volt Pro
Seatpost - BikeYoke Revive Dropper
Brakes - Shimano XT
Cranks - Sram XO1 Carbon 34t 1x11
Chain - Sram XX1
Pedals - Nukeproof Electron Evo
Rear derailleur - Sram GX
Rear shifter - Sram XO1
Cassette - Sram X01 10 - 42
Hubs - DT Swiss 350
Front rim - Nextie AM 35mm Carbon (Custom Decals)
Rear rim - Nextie AM 40mm Carbon (Custom Decals)
Front tyre - Maxxis Ardent 2.4 Tubeless
Rear tyre - Maxxis Ikon 3C 2.3 Tubeless
Total weight - 12.4kg

Last edited:

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Loud, but I like it loud.

Let us know how you get on with the Ikon & 35mm rim. I was assured they would not play nicely together.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Let us know how you get on with the Ikon & 35mm rim. I was assured they would not play nicely together.
I'm not having any issues with it and I've clocked up almost 200km on the bike now. What issues should I be expecting?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just hit 300km's on the bike and loving it. My mate invited up to the northern beaches to ride some of his local trails 2 weeks ago, I think it was called bunnings, Bernies and Ya Mum. Anyway I had no trouble with any of it and then crashed on the very last drop on Ya Mum, not a big drop but as it turns out I had zero rebound damping on the rear shock which is pretty stupid as I used to be one of those guys who obsessed over their suspension settings :D

EMF

Eats Squid
High end

Just hit 300km's on the bike and loving it. My mate invited up to the northern beaches to ride some of his local trails 2 weeks ago, I think it was called bunnings, Bernies and Ya Mum. Anyway I had no trouble with any of it and then crashed on the very last drop on Ya Mum, not a big drop but as it turns out I had zero rebound damping on the rear shock which is pretty stupid as I used to be one of those guys who obsessed over their suspension settings :D
No damage to the mind blowing high end frame I hope

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No damage to the mind blowing high end frame I hope
The bike is fine but my forearm hit a big rock, it hit the bone hard enough that it swelled up instantly like a golf ball and made me so dizzy I had to lie down for about 15 minutes. Good to ride again this weekend though.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been getting way too many pinch flats with the Ikon rear tyre, I think it may be the tyre profile created with the wide rim and skinny tyre. I'm going to put a 2.3 rear on, probably Ardent and see how it goes, I know it will hurt the rolling speed but pinch flats really ruin your day.

shanno89

Likes Dirt
I've been getting way too many pinch flats with the Ikon rear tyre, I think it may be the tyre profile created with the wide rim and skinny tyre. I'm going to put a 2.3 rear on, probably Ardent and see how it goes, I know it will hurt the rolling speed but pinch flats really ruin your day.
I thought you were running tubeless?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought you were running tubeless?
I am running tubeless yes. It seems they can be pinch flatted too and it usually involves a 1cm slice in the sidewall where the tyre meets the rim but my feeling is the tyre is too narrow for this wide rim. I've had 3 pinch flats now on the back tyre, 2 of them when tubeless and one today with a tube in, the front has not been a problem at all.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ended up with another Ardent 2.4 on the rear, so far it has been good as the extra volume gives a bit of protection.

I made this little video riding out at Menai, its not the best quality but i did try to remove some of the shake in post.

https://youtu.be/Bq_lSv2dlSo

I've also entered my first gravity enduro at Kempsey.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ended up 1st in class at the state gravity enduro yesterday, 9th position outright. My first time racing one of these and I was pretty surprised to do so well, the bike was perfect for this kind of event, a little sketchy on some of the steep sections and bigger gaps but still capable.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ended up 1st in class at the state gravity enduro yesterday, 9th position outright. My first time racing one of these and I was pretty surprised to do so well, the bike was perfect for this kind of event, a little sketchy on some of the steep sections and bigger gaps but still capable.
Thought I recognized the bike. Well done on the Cat win mate!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Well done jda. Purchase has now been justified!

I ride a carbon blur xc 100mm travel woth 650b wheels and am continually surprised at how stiff and capable short travel Santa Cruz bikes are.