Santa Cruz 5010

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
I guess its been quite a few years since i posted a new bike. Haven't ridden much for a few years and technology keeps changing. New to me are 27.5" wheels, 11 speed drivetrain, tubeless ready tyres, wide bars and bloody boost hubs.

Done a bit over 200kms on it now all at the Yarra and this bike is awesome. I've been on Santa Cruz Blurs since 2004 and I can't recall ever being so impressed with a new bikes.

Build basics are:

Santa Cruz 5010 CC large frame with Fox Shock
Rockshox Pike RCT3 130
Shimano XTR 1x11 Drivetrain
Shimano XTR M9020 Trail Brakes
Chris King inset headset
Arc 24's on centrelock DT Swiss 350 hubs with DT Revolution Spokes, 36 point engagement hub mod
Candy 3 Pedals
Fizik Gobi Saddle
Reverb Stealth 125 seatpost
Thomson 70mm Stem
Easton carbon lo riser bars 740 wide
Nobby Nics up front, Racing Ralphs on back with Stans

Attachments

bh78

Likes Dirt
Very tidy; I went from a Blur XC to a Rocky 970 Element. Blur was fast, however, things have moved on. Enjoy!

teK--

Eats Squid
sweet lookin ride

if i can make a suggestion is to position the bike carrier arm closer to the bottom bracket since your cables are out of the way there anyway. less chance of slipping and the bike won't sit so far forward on the rail.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Such a nice ride , Is it more like the blur XC or LT or 4x . Did it blow you away how easy it is to drop 10k+ on the bikes these days .

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bloody crazy isn't it. Base factory builds on this and the Bronson is around $7.5k, with a pretty average spec.
I know , I just dropped on a new bronson Xo1 . It was cheaper than building it . But that SOLO build were looking at is well up there , just the post , wheelset , bars and stem was probably the trade off . Killer ride though .

Last edited:

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
Yeah I was away and the wife rang me saying someone had hacked our PayPal account and had taken thousands. I said it's the bike and now I'm still trying to live it down.

I did a custom and it pretty much come out a similar cost to the SC XTR build. I still have an old classic blur, an early blur LT and a blur Ltc. Never ridden a XC or 4X. All my old bikes were set up for XC with light components and long stem and narrow bar arrangement. The biggest difference I'm noticing is that this bike just rockets around corners.

It's worth every dollar and whilst I'll probably keep the LTc I doubt it's going to get much use in the future.

It may be of interest to others that I searched everywhere for boost centrelock hubs. I eventually found the Dt Swiss 350s in the US which I then had built locally on Easton arc rims. Total cost for the wheelset about $1200. The other week I come across a German site and purchased a complete DT Swiss 240 centrelock hubs, rev spokes and XM401 rims wheelset for about 800 AUD delivered. As this is less than the purchase cost of the hubs alone, if they were available, I may at some stage strip this wheelset and build up a mid range carbon wheelset.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
I know , I just dropped on a new bronson Xo1 . It was cheaper than building it . But that SOLO build were looking at is well up there , just the post , wheelset , bars and stem was probably the trade off . Killer ride though .
Nice one, I'll look out for the PYR thread. I had my heart set on a Bronson v2 and was getting quotes on a custom CC frame as I didn't like the spec on the factory C. Couldn't really get anything decent for under $8,200 and even then it had crappy Roam 30 wheels. I've had to part ways with my dream and go a different brand, will killer spec that would've cost $10k on a Bronson.

PS: Sorry for hijack, OP!

D/\M0

Likes Bikes
Awesome looking ride! It's my planned replacement for the Blur too, but those prices are a bit prohibitive.

I guess its been quite a few years since i posted a new bike. Haven't ridden much for a few years and technology keeps changing. New to me are 27.5" wheels, 11 speed drivetrain, tubeless ready tyres, wide bars and bloody boost hubs.
\
It's crazy how far things have changed in the last 5+yrs. Pulled my Blur out of storage the other day knowing the fork needed attention before it's good to ride again. Try buying a 1.1/8th" steerered fork these days...:israel:

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet ride mate.

I am building something similar ATM, just wondering how you tackled the rear brake line? My only gripe so far is how the routing is so skewed towards RH rear brake. I would rather the brake line followed the dropper cable around the headtube, but not sure this is going to come up clean.

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
Sweet ride mate.

I am building something similar ATM, just wondering how you tackled the rear brake line? My only gripe so far is how the routing is so skewed towards RH rear brake. I would rather the brake line followed the dropper cable around the headtube, but not sure this is going to come up clean.

I just used the guides provided and a few rubber frame protectors on the areas where the cable was likely to rub againist the frame. Its not the best but works fine.