Santa Cruz Blur 4x. Yes/No?

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys.
Im pretty new to the whole XC/Enduro/Trail aspect of riding, but i've been riding DH for about two years.

Im planning on getting a new 4-5.5" trail bike soon, and have a pretty good offer for a Santa Cruz Blur 4x. The basic spec is:
- Blur 4x frame. 115mm travel
- Rock Shox Lyriks Coil. 115-160mm u-turn.
- RP23
- X9 shifters/X7 deralliers
- Single Track rims on Shimano (of some sort) hubs.

So my real question is, do you experienced guys out there think that this would be suitable for the applications intended?. I would plan to ride things like the Oaks, Andersons, Manly Dam, hopefully get down to Majura pines and Stromlo on the odd occasion.

The spec isn't so much of a worry for me, mostly the frame and its geometry.
Its a bit of a slacker and burlier bike, with a 68.5 head angle and the ability to take up to use a fork anywhere from 100-160mm travel. While this suits my style a bit better, as i generally ride pretty hard and with minimal style but lots of plow. I would most probably run this fork at approx 130mm travel making the head angle in the 67.5-68 degree range. Would the bike still be able to climb well enough with such geometry?

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
are you expecting to be competing with others that will be on dedicated XC rigs ... and expect to be teaching them lessons ?? if yes, then no.

are you super fit and could push a mack truck with just your left big toe ... if yes then yes.

are you more downhiller then xc'er ... if yes then yes

There are better options ... uhmmm like the Blur XC, or LT, but it depends on how good is good when you say "pretty good offer"

I'd happily ride the 4x thru those tracks you listed and I know people that do :) ... good luck

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Thanks Nerf.

Sorry, I should have mentioned at this stage im entirely non-competitive and riding just for fun. So no lycra bandits are in my sights...yet.

When you ask if I am super fit, is there any reason behind it? Are the Blur 4x's known to be considerably harder to pedal, with bob and a lack of power to wheel effeciency?

Also, probably should throw it out there that I have ridden my Glory DH0 (and Sunday before that) on Manly Dam without too much trouble, just didnt have the gear ratio's to get up most hills, but all the flat pedals and slight uphills i was fine with. The hill up from the hydro station to the school was quite easy I found, if that puts things in perspective.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
When you ask if I am super fit, is there any reason behind it? Are the Blur 4x's known to be considerably harder to pedal, with bob and a lack of power to wheel effeciency?
heee heee ... nah, its more a matter of ease thru design. ... given your DH exploits around MD ... you'll be right.

If you lash out and get it, drop me a PM and we can go for a spin ... I know a number of SC fans who'd love to give it a bounce :)

have a chat with steel-o ... he is currently living in Manly and rides a 4x from memory or it could be an LT :eek:

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
All right, thanks heaps Nerf.

Any more opinionated people out there feel free to drop your $0.02.

Also Nerf, if things go ahead i'll deffs be dropping in on your offer.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
always fancied a blur 4x myself
wouldn't go with lyriks though, would go with a pike/revo/etc

there should be more low/slack/long xc bikes for people like us!!!

Gripo

Eats Squid
Yes

Hey Guys.
Im pretty new to the whole XC/Enduro/Trail aspect of riding, but i've been riding DH for about two years.

Im planning on getting a new 4-5.5" trail bike soon, and have a pretty good offer for a Santa Cruz Blur 4x. The basic spec is:
- Blur 4x frame. 115mm travel
- Rock Shox Lyriks Coil. 115-160mm u-turn.
- RP23
- X9 shifters/X7 deralliers
- Single Track rims on Shimano (of some sort) hubs.

So my real question is, do you experienced guys out there think that this would be suitable for the applications intended?. I would plan to ride things like the Oaks, Andersons, Manly Dam, hopefully get down to Majura pines and Stromlo on the odd occasion.
Yes absolutely, plenty of people have done the 4x XC-trailbike thing > http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=127226

I've had a 4x from day one (dec 2005) set up as a trail/xc machine.

Haven't riden any of those trails you've mentioned but have logged plenty of Kms and raced one, so I know from my experience that set up with the right components that it's a beautiful singletrack machine.

The spec isn't so much of a worry for me, mostly the frame and its geometry.
Its a bit of a slacker and burlier bike, with a 68.5 head angle and the ability to take up to use a fork anywhere from 100-160mm travel.
Most "trailbikes" are now getting slacker angles like the 4x so you could say it was ahead of it's time. Yes the bike is burlier like the downtube being VPFree? size and it has lot's of gussetting but that doesn't mean you are required to plug in a heavy adjustable fork.

While this suits my style a bit better, as i generally ride pretty hard and with minimal style but lots of plow. I would most probably run this fork at approx 130mm travel making the head angle in the 67.5-68 degree range. Would the bike still be able to climb well enough with such geometry?
I ran my 4x with a couple different forks over the time 130 Marz/130 Vanillas/140 Floats and finally Fox F120's.

As general trailbike the 130mm travel forks were great and even though 140's were 10mm longer the bike always felt awkward when it tight twisty trails. Finally I ran the F120 and would have to say this was the best fork I've had on it for overall handling, lower front end for climbing, turn in sharpness and they always felt more than their indicated travel.

Back in 2008 I rebuilt the 4x lighter and raced in C grade in the Qld series and in the pic below is that bike ie. 27.8lbs/12.6kg with it getting down below 27lbs later on with pedal/grips/seatpost/wheelset change.

Anyway what were my results.....well mid pack finishes (highest 14th) in fields of 30+ riders. To be honest those finishes are probably more a reflection on the rider than the bike. I hadn't ridden competitive XC before and didn't know what to expect.

Finally, 2 things that will be critical in making the 4X a top trailbike
*Fork - 130mm or less of travel
*Weight - build weight needs to be under 30lbs/13.6Kg

PS. my 4x frame is now hanging on the wall for old times sake, sorry peoples it's not for sale.....too good to part with...

Last edited:

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Thanks alot Gripper that was a super helpful post.
Really cleared alot of things up for me. I suppose i had better go and have a good hard think.

P.S. Gripper your bike is/was schweet :D

BT180

Max Pfaff
Not because I'm biased, but it sounds like to me a Heckler would be ideal. Can give you some of that DH action you're used to (with the right build) but can easily handle the sort of trail riding you're talking about.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds perfect to me

thats pretty much what im looking for in a trail/xc bike especially coming from a DH background.

I currently do those trails on a Yeti DJ,