Santa Cruz Highball c 29er

Scotty675

Cable thief
Thought I'd do a quick PYR on my highball as I've had time to complete another rebuild. I bought this bike second hand a few years ago. Was built originally with shimano 2x10 xtr group set, fox factory 100mm 32's, mavic slr wheelset. This very quickly became my favorite bike. I,m one of the few that feel more at home on a hardtail. My mates don't get it but I love them. Was quickly surprised by how well this will ride when you point it down hill.
2.jpg

As with all bikes I soon began to mod away. First went to 1x10 or threw a 34 on the front and removed the deralieur. Won't bore everyone with the ongoing changes. This is how bike sits now and happy for a while.

inside right.JPG

Frame- Santa Cruz Highball 29er

Fork- Fox 34 stepcast 120

Bars- Richey Superlogic rizer carbon

Bar ends- Hope

Bottom Bracket- Chris King

Stem- Richey Trail 70mm

Headset- Chris King

Grips- Richey ergo foam

Saddle- Selle Italia

Seat post- Richey trail carbon

Front Brake- Magura mt7 with hc3 lever

Rear Brake- Magura mt8 with hc3 lever

Cranks- Shimano xtr 9020 175mm

Chain- KMC x11 SL

Chainring- Garbaruk 34T

Pedals- Shimano xtr 9120

Rear Derailleur- xtr m9000 11 speed / Garbaruk cage

Rear Shifter- Xtr m9000 11 speed

Cassette- Garbaruk 11-50

Front Hub- Rotor Revolver

Rear Hub- True precision stealth

Rims- DT Swiss XM 421

Spokes- DT Swiss Comp

Nipples- DT Swiss Brass

Tyres- Schwalbe Nobbi Nic 2.35 / Tubeless

Weight- 10.65 Kg / old build was 9.55Kg

bar stem.JPG

cassete.JPG

chainring.JPG

chris king bb.JPG

front brake 2.JPG

front brake.JPG

hc3 lever.JPG

front hub.JPG

rear brake.JPG

rear hub.JPG

rims.JPG

seat post.JPG

inside left.JPG

rh out.JPG

Will get some better photos when I'm back on the bike. Not very exciting.

Scotty675

Cable thief
You’ve done a solid job of blinging every inch of that thing. Also, nice to hear you love your mates.:D
Ha ha I could of worded that better. It did end up with a lot more finishing bling than planed. Nearly to much, I’m not so sold on the chain already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ha ha I could of worded that better. It did end up with a lot more finishing bling than planed. Nearly to much, I’m not so sold on the chain already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon chain OR rings, to tone it down abit. Luckily they’re consumables so you can try it all.

It is a great build though mate! Very nice bike

Scotty675

Cable thief
I reckon chain OR rings, to tone it down abit. Luckily they’re consumables so you can try it all.

It is a great build though mate! Very nice bike
Thanks, I’m really happy with it. A few main things I wanted to try. First Magura brakes and after riding them I’m sold. At first I thought I’d made the wrong decision. The rear brake bedded in quickly and works a treat, the mt7 not so much luck. I spent what I though was enough time bedding pads in and was really disappointed so changed pads to there race spec. After spending a bit of time on these I found out they just take a long time to bed in. I’ve put it down to them running 4 individual pads and taking along time to bed in. The other thing I love are magura hc3 levers. These aren’t a cool looking lever and just for bling, they have put a lot of thought into them. Adjustment every were for the perfect 1 finger lever. Being able to adjust the leverage on the plunger pin is genius and works. They have great modulation and ample power. The other thing I wanted to try was a dinner plate cassette. I probably should of gone 11-48 but went with 11-50. I chose garbaruk for there light weight. The rear hub is really heavy so this was to try save a bit of weight. The front chainring didn’t need replacing but I threw on a garbaruk to try as they are a lot longer in the teeth. I don’t drop chains but this has to help not running a chain guide. Unfortunately I haven’t ridden this bike much yet due to injury but will keep this thread updated.

PJO

in me vL comy
Bike looks great Scotty especially in it's natural environment. I guessing that the collarbone is functional?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Bike looks great Scotty especially in it's natural environment. I guessing that the collarbone is functional?
Bike has come up well, really happy with it. Collarbone is all healed up now, unfortunately I’ve got a broken bone in my hand now. I’ve had some shit luck lately. You would no this trail well.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice rig. I too know what it’s like to feel at home on a hardtail. Dually this fully that give me my 29er hardtail any day

PJO

in me vL comy
Bike has come up well, really happy with it. Collarbone is all healed up now, unfortunately I’ve got a broken bone in my hand now. I’ve had some shit luck lately. You would no this trail well.
Ah bugger about the hand, sorry to hear that.
Yes do know that trail well, I have only ridden it twice since the big washout...