AM Santa Cruz Nomad CC V3

Markee

Likes Dirt
Frame - Nomad CC V3 matte black, size large with premium gloss Frameskin and extra SC decal added
Rear shock - Rockshox Vivid Air 216x63
Front fork - Rockshox Dual Position 180/150mm
Handlebars - Renthal Carbon DH 780mm
Stem - Renthal Apex 40mm
Headset - Hope
Grips - ODI Ruffian
Saddle - SDG Bel Air
Seatpost - Reverb Stealth 125mm
Seat post clamp - Hope
Front brake - Zee 203mm rotor
Rear brake - Zee 203mm rotor
Cranks - Race Face Next SL 170
BB - Race Face Cinch BSA30
Chainring - Race Face 34t Cinch
Chainguide - Blackspire Trail X
Chain - XT M8000 11spd
Pedals - Crank Bros Mallet Enduro or Race Face Aeffect
Rear derailleur - XT M8000 11 spd
Rear shifter - XT M8000 11 spd
Cassette - XT M8000 11 spd with OneUp Components 45t
Front hub - Onyx Racing 32h
Rear hub - Onyx Racing 32h
Front rim - Zelvy Carbon 35mm Enduro spec
Rear rim - Zelvy Carbon 35mm DH spec
Spokes - DT Competition
Nipples - brass
Tyres - DHF 2.5/DHR 2.35 or Magic Mary 2.35 F/R both tubeless
Total weight - 13.2 kgs

First impressions, this thing is going to be awesome! One easy ride in around some very flat trail at the You Yangs to introduce my wife to the joys of MTB, as she now has my old Remedy, and it's easy to pedal around while in the 150mm setting on the fork. Am yet to throw it down a hill and into some rough stuff but the Barjarg Enduro coming up will give me a chance.
I've gone this path being that I'm new to the sport as a whole and wanted a "do-it-all" bike as I can not justify buying a DH bike as well and like I've said to many before if I really wanna neck myself I'd get out on the MX bike I own more!
I have also read with interest about 'long-shocking' the Nomad to match the rear to the fronts 180mm by using the next size up shock. Going back to using a Fox Float X2 would not be hard at all and I'd definitely like to pair that with a Fox 36 @ 180mm but for now I'd like to try out Rock Shox offerings to see how they compare to what I've been riding.
The ability to drop the front and lock it out for climbs really appeals to me and basically allows me to ride everything I can get to under my own steam.

Loads more photos here

Last edited:

acads

Likes Dirt
Noooo Marky, come back to the XC side!!.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in person, are you getting brad to set it up at the new shop?

Adam

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome build!

I've been looking at long shocking too (only came across it this week), not sure I'd really want to make the BB higher, but the using offset bushings would maybe help keep the BB lower, but then I think there would be issues with tire rub under full compression on the back of the seat tube.
I've started a thread over on mtbr about long shocking as there doesn't seem to be much info out there on it at the moment.
Also, not sure how it would effect pedalling efficiency.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Noooo Marky, come back to the XC side!!.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in person, are you getting brad to set it up at the new shop?

Adam
I was never on any XC side! My other middle name is gravity!
I'm going to just have a play with the suspension myself this time.

Nice Mark. How does it pedal/climb with the Vivid?
It pedals ok but I haven't really pointed it at any hills yet so will report back once I have.

I approve....
PHEW!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Pretty hard toake these things look bad, but by crikey, you've made this look sexual. Suddenly got a hankering for something big and black under me bum :thumb:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Pretty hard toake these things look bad, but by crikey, you've made this look sexual. Suddenly got a hankering for something big and black under me bum :thumb:
The bigger and blacker, the better. My bum has never felt the same since.

What's it like with 180 up front? I've struggled to find many places a modern 160mm bike can't handle.

Markee

Likes Dirt
Oh my Knuckles! Please yell out if you catch up to me on a trail so I can high tail it outta there or let you past!

Sweet Rig!
Cheers

The bigger and blacker, the better. My bum has never felt the same since.

What's it like with 180 up front? I've struggled to find many places a modern 160mm bike can't handle.
Haven't had the opportunity to ride it like I stole it yet! Will report back after this weekend.

NoFilter

Likes Dirt
Bitchin' rig you have built there Markee, blue highlights look mad! Very interested to see how it rides with 180mm travel up front, my calculations will give it about 64 deg h/a and 10mm higher bb. I'm running stock travel on mine like most others and am super keen to hear how this goes.. Keep us posted!

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Nomad Build

Mad 'Mad mate, looks mint. +1000 for a report on the 180 fork. Have 160 Pikes on mine and wanting to go Fox 36, unsure on 160 or 180 as yet

Enjoy the ride.