AM SantaCruz Hightower

Brad Tull

Cannon Fodder
Picked up my new Hightower yesterday, gotta say I am very happy with it. The Ohlins forks are sweet. Actually its all sweet.

Frame - Hightower
Rear shock - Roscshox Monarch
Front shock/fork - Ohlins RXF 36 140 mm
Handlebars - Santa Cruz Carbon
Stem - Eastern Haven
Headset - Cane Creek 110
Grips - ODI Lockons
Saddle - Specialized Avatar gel Comp
Seatpost - Crank Brothers Highline
Front brake - SRAM Guide RSC
Rear brake - SRAM Guide RSC
Cranks - XX1
Chain - XX1 Eagle
Pedals - Crank Brothers Mallet Enduro
Rear derailleur - XX1 Eagle
Rear shifter - XX1 Eagle
Cassette - XX1 Eagle
Front hub - Hope Pro 4
Rear hub - Hope Pro 4
Front rim - Light Bicycle EN 733 Carbon
Rear rim - Light Bicycle EN 733 Carbon
Tyres - Maxxis Rekon 650b 27.5+ 2.8 wide
Tubes - Notubes
Total weight - 13.4 Kg

Attachments

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lovely looking ride. What else were you considering? That and its contemporaries are going to be difficult to choose from.

Looking forward to hearing the ride report...

Z

Zaf

The colour match on those LB rims worked a treat!!
Ohlins TTX to match the fork when?

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Nice bike. How do you find the 140mm fork with plus size wheels (ie. BB too low)? SC spec a 150mm fork on the HT with 27.5+ wheels don't they - does the Ohlins fork have a longer A2C length than the Pike?

Z

Zaf

thats basically my dream bike... very nice! :)
It's only money, you can make more!

Nice bike. How do you find the 140mm fork with plus size wheels (ie. BB too low)? SC spec a 150mm fork on the HT with 27.5+ wheels don't they - does the Ohlins fork have a longer A2C length than the Pike?
I believe the measurements are as follows:

The Ohlins RFX 36 150mm 27+/29er Boost is 529mm.
The Pike RCT3 150mm 27+/29er Boost is 531mm

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Cheers Zaf - You're obviously not as lazy as me late at night :)

So, the Ohlins at 140mm, as the OP stated, is about 12mm shorter than a 150mm Pike. Just wondering what the BB height ends up at and whether there are pedal strike issues, as the BB height is already relatively low on the frame - 337mm from the SC website. I've been doing a bit of reading on the Hightower recently as I'm considering building one up myself. There is a massive forum thread on MTBR about the bike, and how some people are long-shocking them for ~150mm rear travel. It's like SC nailed a 'do it all' frame with great geometry.

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
Cheers Zaf - You're obviously not as lazy as me late at night :)

So, the Ohlins at 140mm, as the OP stated, is about 12mm shorter than a 150mm Pike. Just wondering what the BB height ends up at and whether there are pedal strike issues, as the BB height is already relatively low on the frame - 337mm from the SC website. I've been doing a bit of reading on the Hightower recently as I'm considering building one up myself. There is a massive forum thread on MTBR about the bike, and how some people are long-shocking them for ~150mm rear travel. It's like SC nailed a 'do it all' frame with great geometry.
I have recently long shocked mine. It is now running a 150mm pike and a 200 x 57mm float x.

Inital ride was good. You have to run the chip in the high setting but there has been no noticeable ill effect from this yet.

Nice looking rig you've built there! What did the rims set you back amd what do the wheels weigh?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

I'm currently working the Renal unit, I can always ask around if you wanna sell a kidney?

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm currently working the Renal unit, I can always ask around if you wanna sell a kidney?
I dribbled over a few SC's on the weekend and the Hightower was one of them. Quite a nice steed in a 29"er kind of way.

So, it begs the question, what is the going rate for a kidney? I have kept mine in good condition and has only been grain fed and kept out of direct sunlight ready for difficult situations like these. Could also see it as a stealthy weight loss too.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
True, but to much overlap with current steed (Nomad CC with Push 11-6). When I break this though, HT beckons
Well if you break it tomorrow maybe hold off a day or two, rumours on mtbr of a new Nomad this weekend.

And nice bike BTW!

tunsis

Likes Bikes
Ride review for the 11-6?
In a word... Very nice.

Just waiting on a upgrade to fit then will put up a full Post Your Ride post and blurb. Hopefully happens before Nomad 4 is released and my bike becomes instantly redundant and rubbish

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
In a word... Very nice.

Just waiting on a upgrade to fit then will put up a full Post Your Ride post and blurb. Hopefully happens before Nomad 4 is released and my bike becomes instantly redundant and rubbish

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Nomad 4!?! fark.. why must they keep doing this to us!

Anyway.. Keen to see the review and thoughts, will keep an eye out. Cheers mate.