AM SC Bronson CC 2015

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Random observations after conducting the first major service on the bike.

Hope hubs are pretty nice to take apart once you know how. The bearing seals and setup on all the bits I pulled apart (main pivot, wheels, headset) work well, with little dirt making its way in. The roller bearing in the shock is still smooth and tight and not very dirty.

The front wheel bearings were pretty clean, and Enduro bearings so had been replaced at some stage. Pivots were also all Enduro. Rears were still Hope, and dirtier which makes sense from all the skids. I specualte either the guy was ripped off because the rear Hope ones were fine and SC bearings are lifetime replacement, or he'd run the bike with loose bolts damaging them. Considering the pivot bolts quickly loosened when I got the bike damage wouldn't surprise me if that happened and he didn't notice in time, he seemed like a guy who'd go to the shop for anything bigger than chain cleaning.

All bearings were in good enough condition to clean and grease and keep riding, but the left side ones were a bit more worn than right, so I need to work out how to flick my back wheel out to the right in order to keep the wear even.

I was also riding with my fork over inflated, that's made a nice difference dialing that in along with playing with rebound to work well with the softer fork. Everything else just keeps on trucking, bike went together with no COTFW and is stealthy quiet as per normal.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
3134km and still running like clockwork. Pumped grease in the bottom bearings a couple of times, new chain cassette and chainring about 500km ago, fork got serviced about 1000km ago, haven't even had to put air in. Shock must be 1550 ago, air every now and then. Works angle set can creak, needs a tighten now and then. Been insanely reliable. I hose it down every few rides if there's no mud and wipe it with a clean rag. If only it was more modern sizing and geometry, the only criticism I have and it can't be fixed except with another bike.