School me on BMX Clubs/Tracks

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Looking into BMX Clubs/Tracks for the kids and don't know much about the scene at all.

We're located in Nth Beaches Sydney and our local BMX track is Terry Hills. The last time we were there the track was in dyer need of some maintenance and looked like it hadn't been used for a long time. Is there a club attached to this track? Was it getting used?

Other questions I have is what are the others BMX tracks/clubs round the area and what's involved when you are a member? Are there clinics/maintenance days? or just race days? Is there a minimum age limit in joining these clubs? what are the more active clubs? etc etc.

Sorry for the random questions, but I really got no idea and google has just turned up some limited info and/or missing links. Any info would be much appreciated.... thanks

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
Terrey Hills always used to be good, but I had heard it was getting some major work done to it? Not really sure. For a list of clubs go here:

http://www.bmxnsw.com.au

4th tab from the left at the top of the page. Not from Sydney so I don't know which clubs are the best sorry. I do know lots of people love Castle Hill though.

I can only speak from experience of the 2 clubs I am involved with (Lake Macquarie and Maitland Tenambit) in regards to what they put on. Racing is usually once per week, with a gate practise night during the week. (think of it as "official practise")

Additional to this our clubs have access to coaching as well. Sometimes this is an additional cost, sometimes it is free. Depends on the club but generally it will be one of the clubs elite level riders charging a few per head for coaching of younger riders. Maintenance days/working bees are a regular occurrence and can be simply doing repairs or making changes to the tracks.

Not sure that there is a minimum age as such. The youngest class is called "Sprockets" and they have a couple of age groups within that depending on numbers. We often have kids so young that mum or dad needs to follow them around the track to help them over jumps. Whether other clubs are ok with that I don't know. Personally I would wait until they can ride over everything on the track before putting them into racing.

Hope that helps

redbruce

Eats Squid
Looking into BMX Clubs/Tracks for the kids and don't know much about the scene at all.

We're located in Nth Beaches Sydney and our local BMX track is Terry Hills. The last time we were there the track was in dyer need of some maintenance and looked like it hadn't been used for a long time. Is there a club attached to this track? Was it getting used?

Other questions I have is what are the others BMX tracks/clubs round the area and what's involved when you are a member? Are there clinics/maintenance days? or just race days? Is there a minimum age limit in joining these clubs? what are the more active clubs? etc etc.

Sorry for the random questions, but I really got no idea and google has just turned up some limited info and/or missing links. Any info would be much appreciated.... thanks
http://www.bmxaustralia.com.au/

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Terrey Hills always used to be good, but I had heard it was getting some major work done to it? Not really sure. For a list of clubs go here:

http://www.bmxnsw.com.au

4th tab from the left at the top of the page. Not from Sydney so I don't know which clubs are the best sorry. I do know lots of people love Castle Hill though.

I can only speak from experience of the 2 clubs I am involved with (Lake Macquarie and Maitland Tenambit) in regards to what they put on. Racing is usually once per week, with a gate practise night during the week. (think of it as "official practise")

Additional to this our clubs have access to coaching as well. Sometimes this is an additional cost, sometimes it is free. Depends on the club but generally it will be one of the clubs elite level riders charging a few per head for coaching of younger riders. Maintenance days/working bees are a regular occurrence and can be simply doing repairs or making changes to the tracks.

Not sure that there is a minimum age as such. The youngest class is called "Sprockets" and they have a couple of age groups within that depending on numbers. We often have kids so young that mum or dad needs to follow them around the track to help them over jumps. Whether other clubs are ok with that I don't know. Personally I would wait until they can ride over everything on the track before putting them into racing.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info. I'm not so keen on getting the kids racing ATM, more just getting them out there and exposing them to the scene. Also, I didn't want to be just showing up, riding the track and pissing off without putting anything back.

We ended up checking out the track over the weekend and ran into I'm assuming one of the clubs elites gauging by the way he was murdering the track :) gave us some info on the club and ride days etc.