Schoolies 2011 - The MTB Way

Jake K

Likes Dirt
So it seems that every year 11 person in high schools around Australia is organising their schoolies trips already. So that got me thinking - Where to go? How about New Zealand? Rotorua to be precise, as they have some of the sickest trails, without travelling 20000km to go to Whistler.

$1000 will get you a pretty good week of riding over there, including flights and some pretty good accommodation, as well as car hire too I believe, but you must have someone with an Open license to hire a car.

This is just an idea at this stage, but with enough people interested we could make something happen.

So whose keen?

And also if anyone else has been to Rotorua post up how you went about everything, like where you stayed, how you got around, suggestions etc. :D

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If i complete my VCE with a satisfactory pass, im off to Whislter for there Summer :D

Other than that, im chilling either at Surfers Paradise or down in Lorne.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, Rotorua would probably be the place to go if you come over...I'd recommend bringing more than $1000 over - that won't get you any sort of trip if you expect to hire a car.

And you don't need to be on your full license, each business has it's own rules however some allow you to hire if you're on your restricted license but over 18. Either way, expect to pay a fairly decent amount.

ozz

Likes Bikes
I think your missing the point. Your going on a mountain biking holiday, you can do that anytime.
You only get one schoolies

Jake K

Likes Dirt
Yeah, Rotorua would probably be the place to go if you come over...I'd recommend bringing more than $1000 over - that won't get you any sort of trip if you expect to hire a car.

And you don't need to be on your full license, each business has it's own rules however some allow you to hire if you're on your restricted license but over 18. Either way, expect to pay a fairly decent amount.
Ok, well I was just going off what other people who went over there a few years ago told me. So how much for car hire are we talking? Would it be even worth it?

I think your missing the point. Your going on a mountain biking holiday, you can do that anytime.
You only get one schoolies
So your saying that you can only go and get wasted every night for a week during Schoolies Week? All Schoolies is, is a massive party every night where everyone gets smashed and then wakes up the next morning feeling like shit, in hospital or in the watch house...

Ever heard of doing something different for a change?

ozz

Likes Bikes
It sounds a bit like the typical idea of schoolies would be something different for you.

You dont have to take my advice, i'm just sayin, its a once in a lifetime thing. Your bike isn't going anywhere

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, well I was just going off what other people who went over there a few years ago told me. So how much for car hire are we talking? Would it be even worth it?
Didn't do a lot of research into it, but it was a few hundred dollars for me to hire a sedan from Dunedin for a few days. Wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Seriously in my opinion, unless you're a passionate XC'er that is very bored with Australian trails - skip NZ for a while. Come over here for a longer time, in a few years, and do a road trip with your bike. If you don't want to do the Gold Coast schoolies thing (and if you do, DON'T book with schoolies.com - book it privately and save yourself $$$!), take a trip to somewhere new in Aussie with your bike. You'll appreciate it just as much.

Edit: Also, GC schoolies is a lot of fun and can be surprisingly cheap. Beach all day, clubs all night - all pretty easy going. Give it a go - you'll be surprised I think.

Last edited:
Ok,

So your saying that you can only go and get wasted every night for a week during Schoolies Week? All Schoolies is, is a massive party every night where everyone gets smashed and then wakes up the next morning feeling like shit, in hospital or in the watch house...

Ever heard of doing something different for a change?
Are you really still at school???
Did your mum hack into your account???
Thats the sort of response Id expect from someone a bit more worldly.
You can get on the piss any night you want and pick up skirt, a trip O.S is what It's all about.
Besides you can still drink and pick up, You just have to put up with a funny accent.

Jake K

Likes Dirt
Are you really still at school???
Did your mum hack into your account???
Thats the sort of response Id expect from someone a bit more worldly.
You can get on the piss any night you want and pick up skirt, a trip O.S is what It's all about.
Besides you can still drink and pick up, You just have to put up with a funny accent.
Yer I'm still at school, just never really go out to parties and drink heaps and stuff. What good does it do for you anyway, apart from the obvious buzz at the time...
Exactly my thinking, and once you leave the country they'll have a hard time finding you again.

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey you can go to schoolies and stay out of the poo?
My friends and I got a sub penthouse 6bedder for only 400 each in Burleigh, bus ticket for the week was only ten bucks. Far enough away from the bullshit, our own spa as well as sauna two pools and bang on the beach!

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My friends and I got a sub penthouse 6bedder for only 400 each in Burleigh, bus ticket for the week was only ten bucks. Far enough away from the bullshit, our own spa as well as sauna two pools and bang on the beach!
Pun intended?

;)

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I would seriously advocate going somewhere coastal and partying. My entire year group descended on a town on the south coast, it was an amazing week. There is absolutely no obligation to get wrecked every night, the only people who had issues with the police were being exceptionally dumb and had police issues previously, and the one hospital case was put in because a rash resembled the plague. The tone of the week was set by individuals-some were drinking with a purpose and barely saw daylight hours, others went fishing and watched the sunrise-both were completely acceptable. Most found the halfway point-50% nocternal, 50% daylight and had an amazing time because of it.

A trip to NZ would be sweet, but you can do that anytime. Trying to get that many young people together to celebrate isn't going to happen again unless you make a spring break in USA, and even that isn't the same.

ben_rides_a_bike

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My idea of schoolies is to go down to the beach, Get absolutely fucking wasted and screw as many chicks as you possibly can, every night.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My idea of schoolies is to go down to the beach, Get absolutely fucking wasted and screw as many chicks as you possibly can, every night.
Did you even read the thread? Particularly Wespelarno's post?

Go partying, and DONT get yourself completely fucked up. Use the money you save to go towards bike parts/NZ

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
- Let me qualify my statement by mentioning I was a massive geek at high school (still am) and by the time I left I was pretty anti establishment, 95% of the people I went to school with pissed me off and so did the whole broader in crowd and the shitty bars and parties playing rubbish music and full of assholes they frequented.

I went backpacking with a school friend in Asia 3 days after the HSC finished. I came back a week before uni started. It was back in 2001, but including flights it cost me about $3000. I don't regret doing that instead of schoolies one bit - but as I mentioned before I would have hated schoolies.

Last edited: