Training Log Schred's FTP builder for better w/kg

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick update on this,
I haven't been on the bike for 10days but thought I should try racing again before the training wears off completely.

Tried a 30km pursuit race tonight where the diff cats (A,B,C & D) start one after the other from D to A, so C catches D etc, and A has to catch them all. I lined up in B grade and somehow ended up winning that race by a measly second after 50mins of struggle street.

But it gets better, then after the final results came in that says that that time was faster than the cat As as well. Which means not only did I get my first cat B win, but 1st outright of 52 finishers (79 starters), woot! Avg power was 3.8w/kg @ 281w, that's enough to win a race, and return a few favours. Ha ha.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well done, that's awesome!

I built up to the ride Daylsford event (150km road) and felt the fittest I've been in years. I used Zwift and a tacx flux to do some structured training. Since then I've had pretty much 4 weeks without riding due to a heavy workload (harvest time baby).

Jumped back on the trainer at the start of this week and I was so disappointed with my fitness level. I couldn't believe how much it took a hit over that time period. I've just signed up to Trainer Road to try a more structured regime.

Last time I checked my FTP I was at 220w and I'm currently 74kg so near on 3w/kg.

Testing again tonight so I can start my training on the right foot. I've suspended my Zwift for the time being.

Any goals for next year?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks dudes. Yeah the trick for all will be maintaining fitness over xmas/holidays break. Not sure about 2018 goals, I did want to try a few crits and see if I could master D grade, not that I'm underestimating it. Otherwise getting weight down a bit more and power up to 4..25-.5w/kg would be great. Not sure I'm keen to work another 3mths for it. SP - maybe start a 2018 fitness goals thread?

pinnin

Likes Dirt
Started my "structured" training block last night. Trainer Road FTP test first up - 300w. Pretty good. Managed to have a fairly smooth power distribution which was nice. I had no idea where I would sit with this so I used the 5 min effort just prior to the test as a guide and cut 5 ish % off it to start.
Training for Geelong half Ironman and Port Mac Ironman. Should be interesting.
I am 83kg - so 3.6w/kg

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Started my "structured" training block last night. Trainer Road FTP test first up - 300w. Pretty good. Managed to have a fairly smooth power distribution which was nice. I had no idea where I would sit with this so I used the 5 min effort just prior to the test as a guide and cut 5 ish % off it to start.
Training for Geelong half Ironman and Port Mac Ironman. Should be interesting.
I am 83kg - so 3.6w/kg
3.6w/kg is a good starting point esp. with a semi-informal test with solid results, suggests you might have 10-25% optimising the test itself. Nice work. Down to 80kg and up to 320-330 puts it at 4.0-4.2w/kg notional, do you know what's competitive or have a target you are aiming for?

How long is the bike leg and what's the course like? Presumably it's aero aero aero, so a good bike result will be a bunch of things going well underpinned by solid power output. Are you allowed to draft or is it effectively a TT?

300 !!! thats a nice number

I ran an FTP test this afternoon, down from 190 to 174.

Sad face.
Come on dude! 2018 goals, put em up and knock em down.

I have the Bobbo (100 km road ride) in March. My best time was 4 hrs 55 mins on my steel frame 12 speed. Last year was 5 hrs 15 mins on my new bike but I was crook when I rode.

So immediate goal will be sub-4 hrs, I've started another training plan hence the FTP test yesterday.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I have the Bobbo (100 km road ride) in March. My best time was 4 hrs 55 mins on my steel frame 12 speed. Last year was 5 hrs 15 mins on my new bike but I was crook when I rode.

So immediate goal will be sub-4 hrs, I've started another training plan hence the FTP test yesterday.
Were you riding solo or in a group? Taking turns in a group will help a LOT.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pinnin

Likes Dirt
3.6w/kg is a good starting point esp. with a semi-informal test with solid results, suggests you might have 10-25% optimising the test itself. Nice work. Down to 80kg and up to 320-330 puts it at 4.0-4.2w/kg notional, do you know what's competitive or have a target you are aiming for?

How long is the bike leg and what's the course like? Presumably it's aero aero aero, so a good bike result will be a bunch of things going well underpinned by solid power output. Are you allowed to draft or is it effectively a TT?
I never had a target to be honest, this is the first time I have had a number staring back at me. I did the test 100% in aero position. 4w/kg is a nice number but I think my target should be more than that as I sort out my diet and I tested 1 ride back after a month off.

Bike leg is 180km. At Bussleton I had a 5:30 bike split (33km/h) which wasn't bad, but the second lap was heavily heat and wind affected (first lap was 2:30 - 36 km/h). I'm probably doing Geelong Half (90km) in 7 weeks, so I'll be looking for a 2:30 bike split. Bussleton and Geelong are both flat and Port is about 50% flat. Drafting not allowed in any Ironman.

So basically, I know I can achieve a 2:30 bike split in a half which is a great starting point. I believe I can get a 5 hour split for a full 180km, but unsure of my capability to run after that haha. The 36km/h provides some nice neat numbers that are competitive (to the level I'm looking at).

Were you riding solo or in a group? Taking turns in a group will help a LOT.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Indeed, but all the grown ups that I know are either too concerned about their precious metre of road space and or would be advised by a doctor to not ride.