SCHWALBE TYRES MEGATHREAD: read this thread before posting new ones

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've got one but haven't tried it. Slightly different tread pattern and labelled TLE (tubeless easy). I've got a 2014 on the front that just keeps going - great tyre!
i'd be interested in it's weight. schwalbe are not too reliable with their claimed weights

teK--

Eats Squid
My magic mary trail stars are tearing, but I heard vert stars resist tearing a lot more despite being softer. Can anyone confirm this?
I heard the same thing too, but I don't think I would be happy to carry the extra weight of Vertstar just so my tyres don't tear.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
My magic mary trail stars are tearing, but I heard vert stars resist tearing a lot more despite being softer. Can anyone confirm this?
I've got a Vertstar Super Gravity on the front of the DH bike, only been ridden for three days but no signs of tearing yet.

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
How many here have tried the 2015 Nobby Nic?

Curious to hear what they're like.
i'd be interested in it's weight. schwalbe are not too reliable with their claimed weights
I have the 26x2.25 Snakeskin Pacestar compound. Schwalbe claim it should weigh 580g but it comes in at 628g. 48g difference is not too bad I suppose.

I have it on the rear and two rides in its a great tyre. Masses of climbing grip on steep loose technical climbs. Downhill the cornering knobs really dig in and it holds a line really well. They roll surprisingly well too. Not as quick as a (worn) Racing Ralph but I'm happy with the slight trade off for the aggressiveness of tread the new Nobby Nic has. The knobs look much more robust than any other Schwalbe I've tried so far.

acads

Likes Dirt
I've got the 15 Nobby Nic on the front of my Anthem (27.5) , lite skin , triple compound. Came in bang on advertised weight.

Im running tubeless and around 20-22psi ( front is the NN ), I've been pretty happy with it, very good side grip compared to my RaRa which exactly what I was chasing at th expense of some rolling speed. I do find though I have to really weight the front of the bike to get the most out of the tyre otherwise if I'm lazy it can wash the front before hooking in .

Acads

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
I heard the same thing too, but I don't think I would be happy to carry the extra weight of Vertstar just so my tyres don't tear.
I've had a vert star Mary on the front a while now and it's not tearing. A little feathering but that's expected when the rubber is that sticky, my drag tyres do the same haha. The trail star Hans Dampf I had on the rear however tore almost every lug and has been replaced with a Maxxis Griffin.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
keep us updated please mate :)
Five full days of riding and my Magic Mary Vertstar looks like this... near perfect.

While my Rock Razor Pacestar side knobs look like shit, haha.
\

Granted, the Razor is on the rear so it probably takes more of a beating.
When the rains start becoming more frequent I'll be chucking another Mary Vertstar on the rear... hopefully it holds up as well as my front has.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
I've had a vert star Mary on the front a while now and it's not tearing. A little feathering but that's expected when the rubber is that sticky, my drag tyres do the same haha. The trail star Hans Dampf I had on the rear however tore almost every lug and has been replaced with a Maxxis Griffin.
Five full days of riding and my Magic Mary Vertstar looks like this... near perfect.

While my Rock Razor Pacestar side knobs look like shit, haha.
\

Granted, the Razor is on the rear so it probably takes more of a beating.
When the rains start becoming more frequent I'll be chucking another Mary Vertstar on the rear... hopefully it holds up as well as my front has.

looks like vertstar is the way to go. cheers guys

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Has anybody here run a Dirty Dan?

I was originally going to chuck a Magic Mary on my rear to replace the Rock Razor now that things are starting to get wetter, but now I'm toying with the idea of a Dirty Dan on the front and moving my current Magic Mary to the rear.
Just concerned about their dry weather performance.

I have read only one review (so far) which mentions dry conditions, and they still felt it was a pretty confidence inspiring tyre choice, but keen to hear first-hand user impressions if possible.

It looks like a super-aggressive tyre, very 'moto'.

riderseventy7

Likes Dirt
On that note I'm getting a refund from Torpedo7 for my Magic Mary vert star due to this. Going to buy another though and give it a try because it's the best tyre I've used to date.
The last 5 or so schwalbe tyres, muddy and magic Mary's, I've used have had that happen in multiple spots. I just kept riding on them until the tread fell apart. It's a pain in the arse that they fall apart like they do because there is always plenty of wear left in the knobs, they just have the outer rubber seperate from the carcass. I still buy the bloody things though because they perform so bloody well.

GRPABT1

Likes Dirt
The last 5 or so schwalbe tyres, muddy and magic Mary's, I've used have had that happen in multiple spots. I just kept riding on them until the tread fell apart. It's a pain in the arse that they fall apart like they do because there is always plenty of wear left in the knobs, they just have the outer rubber seperate from the carcass. I still buy the bloody things though because they perform so bloody well.
Oh crud, that's not what I wanted to hear. Don't think I'd be confident riding on bubbles like that, they were pretty pronounced. I'll give it one more go though and if it does it again I'll have to look at other options. Nothing seems to be as soft and sticky as the Vert star rubber though and all other brands seem smaller volume which annoys me. I've been toying with the idea of a Michelin Wild RockR 2 after buying one to suss out for my missus' bike, looks like they'll roll well and have very pronounced side lugs.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Schwalbe doesn't get much fatter than these.

Big Schwalbe fan on all my bikes but couldn't wait to get my hands on a set of these 4.8" Jumbo Jims.

<Steven>

Likes Dirt
Oh crud, that's not what I wanted to hear. Don't think I'd be confident riding on bubbles like that, they were pretty pronounced. I'll give it one more go though and if it does it again I'll have to look at other options. Nothing seems to be as soft and sticky as the Vert star rubber though and all other brands seem smaller volume which annoys me. I've been toying with the idea of a Michelin Wild RockR 2 after buying one to suss out for my missus' bike, looks like they'll roll well and have very pronounced side lugs.
I've also had bubbling on 2 Muddy Mary Vertstars (FR version) and also a Magic Mary Vertstar (super gravity version). My Trailstar Magic Mary has been fine though.

Do you guys run Stans in them? I do and I'm wondering if the Vertstar compound doesn't agree with Stans?.... otherwise, perhaps it's because the rubber compound is so soft?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I've also had bubbling on 2 Muddy Mary Vertstars (FR version) and also a Magic Mary Vertstar (super gravity version). My Trailstar Magic Mary has been fine though.

Do you guys run Stans in them? I do and I'm wondering if the Vertstar compound doesn't agree with Stans?.... otherwise, perhaps it's because the rubber compound is so soft?
Got two Vertstar SG Magic Mary on the DH bike with Stans, no dramas.
One Trailstar SG Magic Mary on the trail bike with Stans, no dramas.

frank_n

Likes Dirt
I d had similar bubbling issues with several Maxxis tyres but not with Schwalbe. Schwalbe do weep though. I prefer Schwalbe for grip over Maxxis