Scotch Drinkers

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thanks mate ... I think I just found all I want here ... I shoulda searched.
nah, all good mate. sometimes the search function isn't awesome. :llama:

In any case , the discussion in this thread has been pretty good.

Last edited:

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The oak barrel (Elizabeth st) runs regular tastings (including specific introductions to Whisky). Usually cost around $60.

It's most likely your best bet to understand the naunces of whisky (I.e the differences in casks that whiskies are matured in, which flavours to look for and how to recognise whether you are tasting spirit influence or cask influence).

If your going it alone it's probably best avoiding blends as they will always aim for a specific flavour profile that is (in my opinion) not a true reflection of what whisky has to offer.

Best of luck in your journey

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Is that what Aqua Vitae is ... cheers, interesting read^^

Got myself some Glenmorgangie ... Shop guy was suitably impressed with the selection ... will try an Islay variety next

EyeMacHunt

Likes Bikes
I will cop some well deserved abuse for this but....

Woke up Thursday morning and found I had poured myself about 3 fingers of Macallan Whisky Maker's Edition when I came home blind from the pub. The full glass was sitting on my living room table. Oh the shame.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I will cop some well deserved abuse for this but....

Woke up Thursday morning and found I had poured myself about 3 fingers of Macallan Whisky Maker's Edition when I came home blind from the pub. The full glass was sitting on my living room table. Oh the shame.
So long as you drank it when you found it, all is forgiven.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Ardbeg 10year and Laphroaig quarter cask should be on your short list.
I would suggest caol ila if you are easing your way into the the Isle of Islay. Then probably Lagavulin and Laphroaig once you get a feel for it. I personally don't really like Laphroaig as a drink, but it's a great experiment in the contrast of scotch flavours among regions etc.

Caol ila has a similar profile, it's just a lot more reserved and balanced in its flavour, while still maintaining the Isle of Islay character.

0psi

Eats Squid
any recommendations Sydney area ? although I dont think I'm ready
Come around to my place one evening Al and I'll teach you all you need to know, plus I've got a large and varied collection for you to try. Mainly Olorosso sherry cask finishes and a couple of PX casks, not a lot of peated stuff but enough for you to taste to get the idea.

Copper and Oak do some good samples for quite cheap, I'd recommend the Glenmorangie Signet, Ardberg Perpetuum (or Bowmore darkest if in stock), Glendronach 18 (Anything Glendronach is great and is probably one of the most collectable whiskys around at the moment. I've taken to buying 2 bottles of everything, one to drink and one to sell in 10 years time) and the Hibiki Harmony. Those 4 bottles will give you a great introduction into the different styles of whisky and being 100ml bottles won't break the bank.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I would suggest caol ila if you are easing your way into the the Isle of Islay. Then probably Lagavulin and Laphroaig once you get a feel for it. I personally don't really like Laphroaig as a drink, but it's a great experiment in the contrast of scotch flavours among regions etc.

Caol ila has a similar profile, it's just a lot more reserved and balanced in its flavour, while still maintaining the Isle of Islay character.
I hear and you have indulged in Caol Ila too. This is the class of December 2015 and I have a Talisker Skye and a backup Ardbeg. I can't resist picking one one or two duty free.

I'm not big on the standard Laphroaig either and probably won't invest in another - too smoky / peaty for me. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask is the best pick and the PX cask if you like it a bit stronger but less peaty.

Jura Superstition is bit like Talisker Dark Storm. They are stronger in taste but not as peaty.

It is great to try them all - it's a hobbie. Still give it to Ardbeg as a fine drop overall :happy:

MyFriendsInTheCupboard2.jpg

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Just picked up a bottle of Talisker as a gift last week, haven't tried it yet, how does it go?
The Skye is quite nice and a lot lighter in taste for me but not as smoky or peaty. It is still there though.
I probably won't get another Dark Storm but that it just my preference.

I rather the regular 10yr old Talisker though. I think sometimes there Whisky guys try too hard and like the original Milo Bars - you shouldn't dick around too much with a winning formula just because you can.

I just love the taste of whisky and not practicing the gentle art of shitfacery although that is another noble cause :nerd:

davehirst

Likes Dirt
Tried the ardbeg last night, might as well smack me around the face with a lump of smoked peat, am I not man enough ?

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Dave
I was the same the first time that I tried Ardbeg, by the time I had finished the bottle I came to enjoy it. Not sure if I will buy another bottle though. I found if you breath out slowly through your nose you can taste more of its flavour.
The first morning after my first Ardbeg I could still taste the charcoal though, tasted a bit like I'd been in a bushfire

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don't taste as much smoky and peaty stuff in Ardbeg as the standard Laphroaig.

All of the peaty Islay whisky takes a bit of getting used to. Fear not and push on with Ardbeg.