SCOTT 24 hour 2010

frensham

Likes Dirt
the lock wasn't broken, mullet opened the back gate after the sweeps finished the course and officially closed the race
You absolutely sure about that? I heard different and that when the 'vollie' arrived to open the gate after 2:00pm he was surprised to see it already open and traffic coming and going. We are talking about the gate at the car park near the main entrance and not the one they wanted us to use on the other side exiting onto Cotter Rd?

Last edited:

ronster44

Likes Dirt
I managed to do 95% of the race with out a flat then on my last lap I managed to get three:mad: and road the last 1.5 km on a flat back tyre and to my surprise my xt wheel will live to fight another day:)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
You absolutely sure about that? I heard different and that when the 'vollie' arrived to open the gate after 2:00pm he was surprised to see it already open and traffic coming and going. We are talking about the gate at the car park near the main entrance and not the one they wanted us to use on the other side exiting onto Cotter Rd?
Unless it officially got opened with an angle grinder... I saw the lock being cut not 'opened'

lincolnsydney

Likes Dirt
Had a great time! I love Stromlo and it was hard, but it was a good challenge. I came down a few times, but if you didn't go down, you weren't trying hard enough!

Organisation was a bit lax... no drop offs, no clear organisation at the end, debrief being a bit insufficient, and a lack of food options to name a few. However, it was still bloody good fun!

Favourite quote whilst on the course after being let through by a slower female rider... "and you're not even one of the Elite riders!"... gee that gave me a laugh for the entire lap! Sorry for being too quick for you and not covering myself in advertisements! lol

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
This is a perennial gripe (sorry, I really feel aweful griping at all.. maybe I should use a different word.. ) - the podium prizes at most MTB events are pretty woeful. 2nd place receives a tyre and a saddlebag???? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Scott 24hr

I think it is quite obvious that the regular Scott 24 Hour came well behind the Solo World Champs in priority. I agree with your comments on organisation. I arrived for the team briefing at 10:55 only to find the briefing at an end. No-one had a clue as to why it was changed and when I asked how we were supposed to know, the answer was "we announced it over the PA". When I said that 80% of the camping area cannot hear the PA, I simply got a shrug of the shoulders..... The camping area signage bore little resemblance to the maps, we set up camp in a 4 to 6 person teams area according to the map only to then see a sign stating Solo Riders Only, that someone had to break the lock on the gate to let us out, the ridiculous cut-off time of 2:00pm on Friday (why???) to get your gear into the campsite, the portaloos that lasted 30 minutes before becoming unusable etc etc, I could go on. None of this really matters though because we all had a great time riding our bikes.
The main reason we enter the Scott 24hr is to ride the Mt Stromlo tracks. Efficient organisation makes things easier, and will bring people back for more.

It was obvious that the solo riders got the best deal- good camping sites, transition, and of course the most difficult tracks (or the best, depending on your viewpoint).

When I arrived at the transition area at 11am I was told (by the announcer) that I should have been listening to earlier announcements that there was to be an earlier briefing- like we should hear this from the campsite?

I agree that the parking/ camping access did not make sense. Marshalls were patrolling on Friday and were tired of being asked the question "when can we drive our cars out?" A larger car park outside the gates with shuttle utes running continuously Sat & Sunday would be a solution, or allowing cars to park at the campsites with continuous access would be an easier option. With an event of this size, parking is always a huge issue.

While doing my laps I saw a few crash, especially when trying to overtake on single track! Most riders know of their limits but there will always be those who end up on the gravel, or unintentionally fly though the air because of misjudging corners (and their abilities) etc.

The (Pink) first aiders were busy on the weekend but were not able to deal with the serious crashes about 2k from the end of the lap. Ambulances had to access the track, treat and evacuate the riders- this slowed the race for at least 45 minutes. I hope Tony is OK.

In the end we had a great time, happy to participate without expecting to be treated like soloists. Like other big races we would like better organisation, especially when we pay about $135 pp. Yes we got a drink bottle and T shirt, and yes the showers ran all night.

With the growth of MTB, there are more and more races every year- and more choices for us.

ponyrider

Likes Bikes
from the course director mullet.
for stromlo 36psi is the best pressure to run.
...I never run less than 40. Well, we podium-ed so as far as I'm concerned it was the greatest-mountain-biking-race-in-history :) Hit that triple-jump (unintentionally) on my first lap, far out glad I held on. For me it's all about tyres at Stromlo ...that is, the ongoing search for a front tyre that works! Lots of nervy moments, but no complaints at all.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
The main reason we enter the Scott 24hr is to ride the Mt Stromlo tracks. Efficient organisation makes things easier, and will bring people back for more.

It was obvious that the solo riders got the best deal- good camping sites, transition, and of course the most difficult tracks (or the best, depending on your viewpoint).

When I arrived at the transition area at 11am I was told (by the announcer) that I should have been listening to earlier announcements that there was to be an earlier briefing- like we should hear this from the campsite?

I agree that the parking/ camping access did not make sense. Marshalls were patrolling on Friday and were tired of being asked the question "when can we drive our cars out?" A larger car park outside the gates with shuttle utes running continuously Sat & Sunday would be a solution, or allowing cars to park at the campsites with continuous access would be an easier option. With an event of this size, parking is always a huge issue.

While doing my laps I saw a few crash, especially when trying to overtake on single track! Most riders know of their limits but there will always be those who end up on the gravel, or unintentionally fly though the air because of misjudging corners (and their abilities) etc.

The (Pink) first aiders were busy on the weekend but were not able to deal with the serious crashes about 2k from the end of the lap. Ambulances had to access the track, treat and evacuate the riders- this slowed the race for at least 45 minutes. I hope Tony is OK.

In the end we had a great time, happy to participate without expecting to be treated like soloists. Like other big races we would like better organisation, especially when we pay about $135 pp. Yes we got a drink bottle and T shirt, and yes the showers ran all night.

With the growth of MTB, there are more and more races every year- and more choices for us.
1. The Stromlo tracks can be ridden year round. Perhaps you meant - to race the Stromlo tracks.. ;)
2. Maybe the solos should get the attention - seeing as it was the 'worlds'.
3. Announcements? We arrived too late to comment..
4. Shuttle buses/trolleys/ATV with trailers - sounds like a jolly good idea. Had to make 3 trips from one end of the camping sites to carpark fully ladden...
5. I bet CORC will be reviewing the decision to include the triple jump....

Overall - a great race - well done CORC!

This was my second Scott - this time with half the number if team mates and one gear each...

Thought the whole thing was pretty much awesome - yup the course got somewhat rocky but that was always going to happen.

Well done to the organisers and massive thank you to the volunteers for another great event - bring on 2011!

muvro

Likes Dirt
Personally I didn't have a problem with the triple at the bottom. In fact I really enjoyed it. Though perhaps they should've had one of the double or even triple arrow warning on it with a sign for a B'line around it. Like the drop a little further on. The drop was one of many high-lights of the track. I gave out a good woo as I flew off it. lol

Techy tracks like this one absolutely rock!!! Though they are very novice unfriendly. I really hope they run the same course next year. I loved it!

As for flats, I checked over three of the bikes in my team and made sure we were running decent pressure in them. I ran in my bike 38 in the rear (LUST Crossmark) and 32 in the front with a UST Racing ralph. out of those three only one flat. The fourth bike I can't remember what he ran, but he only got one flat as well.

I felt really sorry for the guy waiting in transition who's tyre suddenly let go. It was quite amusing, all those around him heard was air escaping from a tyre... Must've sucked.

I must say though, that for a Scott 24 virgin, I was a bit lost, but after asking a couple of vollies at the rego tent a few Q's and asking a few competitors a few Q's I was almost in the loop. I probably should've read the instructions in the bag... lol

nskz

Likes Dirt
This was my second year at the Scott and as last year I had a ball. Sure we didn't get to ride arguably the best tracks at Stromlo as I've mentioned earlier in this thread but I was pleasantly surprised how fun the track actually was, props to the builders. Everyone in the two teams we had entered had a ball and I'm sure will be back next year.

Regarding tyres I run Maxxis LUST tyres and haven't had a flat in the time i've had them, that includes 2 Scotts, the mont, at least 2 100km races, the usual week/weekend rides and quite a few laps around Stromlo at other times to; they are also on tubeless rims (crossmark SLR). I originally had Maxxis non-LUST tyres and got 3 flats running those tubeless even with stans. Their issue is the side wall/casing is just not strong enough so it's very easy to rip them on rocks etc and the stans just can't seal those sort of cuts. So basically if you want to run tubeless reliably you must, imo, run proper UST tyres as they have much stronger casings, otherwise you're just rolling the dice. I should also add I weigh about 70kg and was running 32psi rear 30 front.

Finally I'll just put a bit of a point summary below of what I think were the highs/lows of the event. Keep in mind this is just off the top of my head :confused:

Pros:
-Great atmosphere, as always at the Scott
-Track density; after last years traffic fest this year was really good. Personally I think running with a single track (effectively) as last year with such a high density has to be avoided in the future at all costs.
-The showers running all night, legend however made that happen. Honestly though with the facilities they have there at Stromlo no excuse not to.
-The last 5km of the track, fast, flowing to the finish...awesome. Last year when you had to climb back up through the camp again after bascially arriving at the pits was cruel :p
-The high speed finish haha, I loved roosting down that 'fireroad' into the big right hand sweeper each lap, a few more pedals then a fast finish onto the crit track, epic fun.
-The big screens, timing and local wifi...awesome. Such a great luxury to be able to check your position up at camp without having to trudge down to the results tent and wait in a queue to check your times etc. Maximum respect for that!
-The extra porta-loo's, excellent for the first few hours, need to keep the service up to them though...holy bio-hazard. :eek:

Cons:
-The loading/unloading debacle. I clarified earlier in this thread whether any cars were able to be left within the camp site after 2pm Friday to a resounding no. I get there Saturday morning cars bloody everywhere in camp, so much for that. Still I carried 3 full loads of stuff down from the carpark; personally don't see the issue with leaving your car within your camp for the entirety of the event (you can't move it once in), i'd go as far to say it's more efficient in terms of traffic flow when it comes to leave. I certainly didn't see much of an issue last year. At least I didn't have to carry my stuff back to the carpark ;)
-The porta-loos. Top idea in theory and very welcomed but when you don't service them at all, in the space of about 4 hours they get utterly destroyed. Imo they are needed but they also need to be serviced regularly.
-The tambark across the track just after you exited the crit track at the start of the lap, holy momentum killer batman!
-The people driving down the up ramp of the main carpark, maybe some sign-age is required to protect the rest of us from idiots. I saw an utter clusterf@#* Saturday morning at about 830 because of this.
-The triple at the end of the lap, while personally I boosted it and loved it, it was an accident waiting to happen for the more inexperienced riders. Would have been ok if it had some serious sign-age both noting it's difficulty and the optional B-line (I didn't see any signage?).

That's about all I can think of for now, will add to it if more comes to mind. Many thanks again to the organisers and all those who participated making it such a great event.

Last edited:

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
?

7 broken ribs, a broken collarbone, a fracture to the C2 vertabrae, collapsed lung and contusions to his Thorax. He's not in great shape but from the two mates that visited him yesterday in intensive care, he's in good spirits. Gonna be spending a few more days in Canberra.

-iRideBikes-

Likes Bikes
7 broken ribs, a broken collarbone, a fracture to the C2 vertabrae, collapsed lung and contusions to his Thorax. He's not in great shape but from the two mates that visited him yesterday in intensive care, he's in good spirits. Gonna be spending a few more days in Canberra.
Jibbity jibbitz batman. Short of full on head and spine trauma thats the worst mtb crash injury list I've heard of. Must be made of bloody tough stuff if he's in good spirits!... or maybe thats the happy gas;)

Beechie

Banned
Everyone

Tony "is all of us" - it's what we do! Hope he is ok and back on a bike doing what we all love soon. (solo rider -so I don't know your track, ours was tough)

was that sunday mid morning over the back of the mtn where you go down a techy narrow part to a left hander over a wooden bridge at the bottom then hard climb up the rocks?? if so that was me :cool:
right spot but wrong time...maybe you also went past me at 3am in the morning?:confused:

orphic

Likes Bikes
That was my first 24hr, and I think I'm hooked! We had a bit of a tough race being a mixed three that turned up with only two riders, although we did manage to adopt a rider to complete one lap for us on Sunday morning. I was barely prepared to ride in a three let alone in a pair, and certainly wasn't prepared to go solo but that's kind of what happened over night when my team mate decided to get some sleep after one night lap. Unfortunately my battery and food situation meant that I had to muck around a bit between night laps and lost lots of time. Despite that, I think I enjoyed the night laps much more than the day laps and this was my first time ever riding in the dark. A friend described it to me as riding in the white tunnel, which is totally true. The course seemed a lot less daunting.

Massive respect to anyone who did that race in a pair, and all of the riders who did the solo worlds. You guys are machines. How you push through in the wee hours of the morning when your body/mind is saying 'no', I am afraid I might never get to understand!

tcurr

Squid
I thought CORC did a fantastic job with the organisation and the track was so much fun HOWEVER Please can we work out a way to let cars into the campsite again next year ...

It makes such a difference not having spend 2 or 3 hours before and after the race lugging gear to & from a campsite. I was with some mates riding a 24 for the 1st time and this definitely detracted from their experience

lordflog

Likes Dirt
Worth the wait!

At last year's race I crashed and separated my shoulder in my first lap - leading to two surgeries and almost 8 months off the bike. I have been pumped for this year's race ever since & I wasn't disappointed.

I am a very recent single speed convert and was really happy with my three race laps - especially given my limited preparation. Some of those rocky switchbacks were murder on momentum!

Our team had some relative beginners in it & parts of the course were soul destroying for them at night - but they all got out & at least did one lap in the dark.

Congrats to the organisers for a fabulous event - thanks to the patient riders who passed me with zero fuss - and props to all of the Newcastle riders who made the trip down. Seems I couldn't walk anywhere without knowing someone :)

Great times.:cool: