SCOTT 24 hour 2010

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
yup, that was me. stupidest stack ever - who crashes on straight, flat road, 50m from transition?

thanks for the attention, pinkbike, you and to the others. kept me chatting until the ambo's arrived.
I'm just impressed you still pulled a 1:10 for the lap once your brother walked your bike over the line - not bad when you'd been on the ground for a few minutes already :)

drew.d

Likes Bikes
I'm just impressed you still pulled a 1:10 for the lap once your brother walked your bike over the line - not bad when you'd been on the ground for a few minutes already :)
yeah, it was a good lap. i'd stopped twice to check my chain, too, but decided not to fix it (wish i could take that back!). i rode the second 10km in the big ring 'cause it skipped less...

Neon

Likes Dirt
How about his shoes? Do you reckon he did his first lap in them?
yeah the green volleys!
he sure did do the lap in them.
he doesnt have cleated shoes/pedals so we dicided that putting him out first to get a lead on the run would be a good idea.
turns out that he smashed himself way too hard on the run and pretty much ran out of steam on the ride.

drew.d

Likes Bikes
has anybody done some number crunching on the laps? ave lap time per category, fastest lap etc. i saw jongewaard busted out a 47... must have been flying!

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just curious for your guys thoughts... did you find that having the Solos and teams on different tracks was a good thing? I can't say I was dissapointed by it... no pressure to get out of the way of you flying teamsters

muvro

Likes Dirt
Being my first 24, I don't know any different. But I reckon there were just enough people on the course. Would've started getting pretty cramped if there were all the solo's too.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Just curious for your guys thoughts... did you find that having the Solos and teams on different tracks was a good thing? I can't say I was dissapointed by it... no pressure to get out of the way of you flying teamsters
I found it less friendly especially at night. I think the solos are often up for a chat and some company if you're roughly the same speed (so I've found in the past) and I missed that. I tired to call out encouragement to the solos on the spot where our tracks were close just before you started your firetrail climb.

Not saying that people weren't friendly or polite but I just found it a little less social at night than in past years. Last year I did almost the whole climb one night lap with a local solo guy - we chatted about the fact he was going to take a break soon to go and tuck the kids in to bed at home then come back. People would over take him and then me... then he'd come up behind me again and say "just me again now"... :) so i'd know it wasn't someone else trying to overtake.

On the other hand, another 400 riders on track wouldn't have been pretty but had it been a figure 8 style loop maybe it would have worked (although obviously not for the worlds but for future races which aren't the worlds).

frensham

Likes Dirt
This year it was noticeably quieter on the track. I usually have quite a few chats on the night laps, especially with solo riders. Didn't manage to say much at all this year. Having said that, I did appreciate the lack of traffic compared to last year. I think the smaller number of riders on the track was a major contributor to the really good vibe and politeness of those who were passing and those being passed. To do the same next year would mean a max of 450 riders on the track again (or a longer track). Given that solo numbers seem to increase each year it might mean less teams. I think a race the same size as this year including solos would me right on the mark.

nskz

Likes Dirt
Well I guess this isn't the case normally because there isn't anywhere near the number of solos racing as there were this year...I don't think anyway? I raced last year and this year in a team and i'll say straight up that last year the traffic was absolutely shocking. I'm not sure what track density they were running last year but it must have been fairly tight as there was just NEVER a break from the traffic. This year was awesome, the perfect track density in my opinion, plenty of breaks where you could just spin and pin :cool: With that in mind in think in future they need to try and stick to this density, not sure how they could achieve this if you combine the field; two tracks? alternating loops?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
A Bit Soggy at Stromlo ...

Just to make Matt and the Kiwis feel at home, and to let you know what a difference a week makes ...

I was out at Stromlo yesterday (Friday) doing the final cleanup and it was bucketing down. These happy snaps are of the area just outside the Dyna-Sys World Solo Pit Row on the northern (the solo camp area - and where the riders exited from the pits to the hairpin turn left) side.

Holden's creek was full to the brim, and Canberra's triathletes should now be happy with Stromlo because they finally have a place to do the swim leg :)

On the plus side, its good for the tracks, and it made cleaning up some of the rubbish a bit easier because the water has washed it all down to one place - the only problem is that place is probably 100Km downstream by now.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
This year it was noticeably quieter on the track. I usually have quite a few chats on the night laps, especially with solo riders. Didn't manage to say much at all this year. Having said that, I did appreciate the lack of traffic compared to last year. I think the smaller number of riders on the track was a major contributor to the really good vibe and politeness of those who were passing and those being passed. To do the same next year would mean a max of 450 riders on the track again (or a longer track). Given that solo numbers seem to increase each year it might mean less teams. I think a race the same size as this year including solos would me right on the mark.
... On the other hand, another 400 riders on track wouldn't have been pretty but had it been a figure 8 style loop maybe it would have worked (although obviously not for the worlds but for future races which aren't the worlds).
... I reckon there were just enough people on the course. Would've started getting pretty cramped if there were all the solo's too.
Here is the infamous Average Rider Track Spacing graph of CORC's 24 hour races over the years, updated with 2010's data.

If you look at 2006 and 2009, these were regarded as the "congested" events. We like to work on not going below an average spacing of 35 metres. You can also see that the spacing for 2010 returned to the same levels as the 2007 and 2008 Scott events when we had the red and blue laps with the hourglass course design. And, this is pretty much what we had in 2010 - with the Solos on the red and teams on the blue, although both courses were extended compared to those early years at Stromlo Forest Park.

Last edited:

Slezoj

Likes Dirt
Team start organisation

It was one of the greatest race I have ever done and I will be back for next year for sure. Weather was great and my night session from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. was also very exciting. Only what I would recommend for next year to organize team start bit differently. Something like every category (team 2,3,4,6,10) starting in 5 minutes intervals. It would help to avoid congestion at the entrance into single trail. We had to walk for almost 2 km and push the bike. Hopefully next year it will be different.