SCOTT 24 hour 2010

frensham

Likes Dirt
where's the flow?

Rode the published course yesterday. Can't say I enjoyed it at all. There is an awful lot of 'going up' despite no major climbs. The track is rocky and rough and has absolutely no 'flow' except for about 800 metres on the way back to the start - not much out of 18 km. There are so many rocky corners that keeping up momentum is almost impossible. If I was a beginner I would say there is no 'enjoyment' on this track. I believe pinch flats and torn sidewalls will be very common over the weekend. The night lap will be a struggle.

apo

Cannon Fodder
Rode the published course yesterday. Can't say I enjoyed it at all. There is an awful lot of 'going up' despite no major climbs. The track is rocky and rough and has absolutely no 'flow' except for about 800 metres on the way back to the start - not much out of 18 km. There are so many rocky corners that keeping up momentum is almost impossible. If I was a beginner I would say there is no 'enjoyment' on this track. I believe pinch flats and torn sidewalls will be very common over the weekend. The night lap will be a struggle.

This is Stromlo not Sparrow Hill:confused:

-iRideBikes-

Likes Bikes
Well in that case you should stay home. One less grumpy rider at a race is always a good thing.

rideabike

Likes Bikes

As entitled to your opinion as you are, From my perspective I'm not sure what you mean. I've ridden the published course three times now, and think it's great, esp in terms of flow. I don't see where the flow is interrupted, you can easily keep a decent average up the whole lap.

If I'm not mistaken, these are the Australian 24 hour championships? (According to the website). People who don't like to ride technical sections should maybe get their skills up in a few club races or mini enduros first before entering a race with a few parts like that in it. Yes it is good to see new people to the sport enter, but what does that mean for people who enjoying a technical challenge while riding?

As for the climbing, I think it's great - lots of climbing without even feeling it. No steep pinchers, It's all gradual, and the climb up to "Little Seymore" is a blast. Once your out the back the deep creek section flows for what seems eternity, you can keep riding at a reasonable average speed with some nice fast bermy sections, terminal velocity and a (mildly) technical climb up to double dissolution a nice way to finish it off. It does have some tricky bits in it, but thats just a matter of stopping on a practice lap to 'suss it out' pick a line, and bingo.

For me, the only trouble I can see would be in the 'blackberry' section and 'slant six' with traffic, as even in club races these sections can bottle neck badly - Oh and I do agree on the flats, but thats racing, and where picking smooth lines comes in.

Can anyone confirm if the Little Seymore section is going to be removed? (Love this section would be sad to see it go)

Cheers

Last edited:

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Has anyone seen or can link to, the new course map?

A little birdy told me that little seymour is being removed?
It is on the cards, the descent remains the most challenging part on the course and we are worried that less experienced riders will face a very real possibility of hurting themselves. But that is a decision for tomorrow...

Cheers!
Mullet

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
<snip>

Can anyone confirm if the Stormy Hollow section is going to be removed? (Love this section would be sad to see it go)

Cheers
Stormy Hollow? Which/where's that? We are looking at removing Heartbreaker/Little Seymore but I am not aware of a 'Stormy Hollow' track/trail/location?

Cheers!
Mullet

Yup its a challenging course but do a few more practice laps and it will become more 'do-able'. Just cruise around a few times and the smiles will come!

apo

Cannon Fodder
Stormy Hollow? Which/where's that? We are looking at removing Heartbreaker/Little Seymore but I am not aware of a 'Stormy Hollow' track/trail/location?

Cheers!
Mullet
Little Seymore is fun and rideable for all beginners and experienced why removing it :mad: common dont' change the course.

72Fury

Likes Dirt
It is on the cards, the descent remains the most challenging part on the course and we are worried that less experienced riders will face a very real possibility of hurting themselves. But that is a decision for tomorrow...
Even after it has already been sanitised with the removal of the rock rollover. I noticed Blackberry has also been 'muppet proofed' with the removal of some rocks. We may as well lay down some tar and ride road bikes.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Even after it has already been sanitised with the removal of the rock rollover. I noticed Blackberry has also been 'muppet proofed' with the removal of some rocks. We may as well lay down some tar and ride road bikes.
Yes, there si still a lot of concern from some people about the rock drops on Little Seymore, we did consider keeping Heartbraker in there but you'd then be descending on the fire road which is no fun at all. There is also the concern that what happens to a good riders line when the less experienced rider behind them balks, from experience it is the rider following that gets the raw end of that deal.

A number of changes are simply for water proofing, there are also wear issues in a lot of places, or anticipated wear as we know what the trail is going to be doing after its 1000th set of wheels for the day etc. Ultimately the decision to maintain/change the trails rests with TVE and we advise as we go.

You'll still get plenty of challenges out the back in Slant 6, Blue Tongue, Deep Creek and Shady's :)

apo

Cannon Fodder
Yes, there si still a lot of concern from some people about the rock drops on Little Seymore, we did consider keeping Heartbraker in there but you'd then be descending on the fire road which is no fun at all. There is also the concern that what happens to a good riders line when the less experienced rider behind them balks, from experience it is the rider following that gets the raw end of that deal.

A number of changes are simply for water proofing, there are also wear issues in a lot of places, or anticipated wear as we know what the trail is going to be doing after its 1000th set of wheels for the day etc. Ultimately the decision to maintain/change the trails rests with TVE and we advise as we go.

You'll still get plenty of challenges out the back in Slant 6, Blue Tongue, Deep Creek and Shady's :)
This is mountain biking of course plenty of rocks, roots and other challenging obstacles which is why i ride mountain bike......we are not roadies here common!

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
can someone point me to a map of stromlo that indicates all of the "localities"???

fwiw, i quite like the blue loop. i've always been quicker around there than the red because there's no real climbing and it's very rewarding if you can maintain good flow...

frensham

Likes Dirt
This is mountain biking of course plenty of rocks, roots and other challenging obstacles which is why i ride mountain bike......we are not roadies here common!
Yes, let's design a course that suits you. Bugger everyone else.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Chill out guys - it will all work out on the day. And yes it is a mtb course and it is stromlo - a great mtb venue, so don;t soften it too much... :D

Just as a matter of interest, what;'s the course like with water on it? The choc foot course incorpoarted some of this route and was very very sloppy in some places. Was intending to ride it tomorrow if the rain holds off for a while... Any suggestions or comments?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I am terribly unfit, this is going to hurt. First 24hr event in about 4 years though so I'm looking forward to that.

chokolatrush

Likes Bikes

Cheers!
Mullet
Took a mate down "little seymore" the other day...it was his first ever ride at stromlo on a $750 piece of...bike - He loved it. It is rideable - of course race day always changes things. It would be a shame to take a trail out that many riders haven't even seen before...might help bed it in a bit more??

Doing a great job Mullet - i'm sure you'll talk to the "officials" and let them see the mountain biker perspective

ps...love the whole track - challenging and rewarding

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
the descent remains the most challenging part on the course and we are worried that less experienced riders will face a very real possibility of hurting themselves.
Does anybody look back and see where people hurt themselves in past events? From my very clouded memory from various events most injuries seem to happen on the easier fast parts of tracks rather than the challenging parts.