SCOTT 24 hour 2010

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Does anybody look back and see where people hurt themselves in past events? From my very clouded memory from various events most injuries seem to happen on the easier fast parts of tracks rather than the challenging parts.
waterbars at ...cough cough ... wingello 3 ring circus, cough cough..fireroads on cobbled together half cocked races such as the ill conceived Angry Doctor alternative.... :rolleyes:

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Does anybody look back and see where people hurt themselves in past events? From my very clouded memory from various events most injuries seem to happen on the easier fast parts of tracks rather than the challenging parts.
Yeah but nah but yeah. Injuries tend not to happen because people chicken out and walk. From that you get an awful lot of angst from riders who do have the skills but get held up. It really is a case of you can't please anyone, and the Scott is an event promoted and open to all levels of rider. Though I did have to rescue someone last year for an injured ankle, that they rolled while dismounting to walk a section.

It is much easier to use technical trails when you have good B lines to use; but Pork Barrel is the only proper B line at Stromlo IMNSHO. So whaddayado?

apo

Cannon Fodder
Yes, let's design a course that suits you. Bugger everyone else.
So what course do you like Frensham? have you done last years Scott? Pork Barrel was more challenging than this years course even they run A & B lines still a lot of people walking have you heard of big crashes? none. I think your a bit softy matey....:)

krisko

Likes Dirt
Plenty of respect to those with the tough decisions! Give them credit, some smoothed out sections will help keep the balance. Im happy if less experienced riders don't bork in front as some of these areas have no or little hoofing space and would annoy the faster riders, having to brake hard on a decent.

I also get that the drop offs in question are gutter height but to the less experienced could cause big concern, some people freak with rocks about. The area is pretty fast and a newbie would fear holding everyone back and find no room to get back on track.

A resolve may be to fill the drop offs in for the race, then reinstate the track afterwards.
Finding an alternate route in this area without conflicting with soloists would be difficult. This would be far better than doing the climb just to descend on fire trail.
Cutting in a B line would be a big task and Im guessing TVE wouldn't approve?

my 2 cents

frensham

Likes Dirt
So what course do you like Frensham? have you done last years Scott? Pork Barrel was more challenging than this years course even they run A & B lines still a lot of people walking have you heard of big crashes? none. I think your a bit softy matey....:)
Yes I am soft. However, last year on the Pork Barrel B-line the rider in front of me had a huge stack (broken helmet, wrecked wheels) and was motionless for quite a few minutes. Lots of (not so soft?) riders just kept going. I at least waited and went to get him some first aid - he was convinced he had broken his collar bone. That big enough for you?

nskz

Likes Dirt
Personally I think last years Scott course was awesome, both night and day laps, it included what I think are all of the best parts of Stromlo. I understand that this is the 24hr 'world championships' but it's a bit of a pity that the rest of us are seemingly relegated to 'what's left' of the mountain, we don't even summit it and it's not a very big hill! Looking at the map it looks like a constant watt-age Mont style track which as a downhiller I find pretty boring; the solo lap has the last 5km as pure descending...devo :(

That said I have never ridden a large percentage of this course so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but missing out on skyline, berm, Pork B and DD is fairly heartbreaking :(

rideabike

Likes Bikes
Yes I am soft. However, last year on the Pork Barrel B-line the rider in front of me had a huge stack (broken helmet, wrecked wheels) and was motionless for quite a few minutes. Lots of (not so soft?) riders just kept going. I at least waited and went to get him some first aid - he was convinced he had broken his collar bone. That big enough for you?
Thats a shame about the rider, I hope he recovered alright, but honestly isn't that a risk you take when riding a mountain bike? The course is pretty tame (technical wise) as it is, (although great) taking much more from it, may just may ruin it. The climb up Heartbreaker should seed out a few of the newer riders, in the hope of less trouble for the decent.

The earlier suggestion of packing in some of the rock drops(rollovers) with dirt, to me is a great idea. Removing it, will kill the course as it really is a great reward after climbing Heartbraker.

Note there are MUCH worse sections that those in question, such as Terminal Velocity, deep creek has some hairy sections and the run down from wombat junction towards the finish, towards the end there is an s bend in the course before you cross the creek with a small tree smack bang in the middle. I reckon they are the trouble points.

All in all, a great course, and much credit to the builders & designers for all their hard work. And for those who have those decisions on their hands. Thanks guys.

chica

Likes Dirt
i rode the course yesterday (missed party line somehow) with some girlfriends and there were some sections out back that i have never ridden before but i found it all within my ability and i would say my skills are intermediate, i'm not a massive fan of lots of rock rollovers but they were doable. There was one though that had a tight hairpin leading into it that i had to get off and practice my line a few times. There is not a lot of overtaking opportunity on the single track, so don't tailgate too much on those people that look less confident than you as this is only going to cause them and you grief.

If you can get down there before Saturday to have a test run, i recommend it.

if you're not happy with a planned course, than maybe plan on being there another weekend when you can create your own course. It's hard pleasing the masses.

have a great Scott everyone :)

chica

Likes Dirt
Car to Camp Site

Any news on logistics of getting camping/bike equipment from car to camp site? i saw a few postings the other day asking of we can drive our car up and drop off our gear or if we had to lug our gear from the car to the site??

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Just returned from a quick hitout, anyone else get swooped at white gums? I thought I heard something flying around my head, it sounded like a magpie but I never saw it.

Track is riding well, some soft corners here and there. We will have a bit of rain during the week which should keep the dust at bay, but hopefully not enough to create a mud bath.

Someone mentioned about the lack of climbing... yeah there aren't any major hills, but for pretty much the first half of the course you are going up hill. It gets the legs burning on the single speed thats for sure.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Just returned from a quick hitout, anyone else get swooped at white gums? I thought I heard something flying around my head, it sounded like a magpie but I never saw it.

Track is riding well, some soft corners here and there. We will have a bit of rain during the week which should keep the dust at bay, but hopefully not enough to create a mud bath.

Someone mentioned about the lack of climbing... yeah there aren't any major hills, but for pretty much the first half of the course you are going up hill. It gets the legs burning on the single speed thats for sure.
The solo WC course goes up the hill twice per lap...

- Joel

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Personally I think last years Scott course was awesome, both night and day laps, it included what I think are all of the best parts of Stromlo. I understand that this is the 24hr 'world championships' but it's a bit of a pity that the rest of us are seemingly relegated to 'what's left' of the mountain, we don't even summit it and it's not a very big hill! Looking at the map it looks like a constant watt-age Mont style track which as a downhiller I find pretty boring; the solo lap has the last 5km as pure descending...devo :(

That said I have never ridden a large percentage of this course so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but missing out on skyline, berm, Pork B and DD is fairly heartbreaking :(
Y'know, I don't think you are getting 'what's left' and I really did take a while to figure out how to share the love (in fact Darren from Makin' Trax found the best solution). But yes, you don't get to cash in hard earned gravity credits. But give it a lap or two before you write it off...

chokolatrush

Likes Bikes
Y'know, I don't think you are getting 'what's left' and I really did take a while to figure out how to share the love (in fact Darren from Makin' Trax found the best solution). But yes, you don't get to cash in hard earned gravity credits. But give it a lap or two before you write it off...
I reckon it's a great track. We get (i hope) Double Dissolution, Little Seymore, Deep Creek and Party Line all to play with...each one has their own style and challenge. Great track...looking forward to racing it.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
The worst injury last year was a young bloke who took on the drain at the entry to Slant 6, he was on a fire road, how do I set a track to avoid that? Every track, regardless off the care put into it has risks. So whaddayagunnado?

I spent quite a lot of time on Little Seymore this morning and watched a number of riders go through the various steps and it really isn't as vicious as many people are making it sound. It also has heaps of overtaking spots.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Any news on logistics of getting camping/bike equipment from car to camp site? i saw a few postings the other day asking of we can drive our car up and drop off our gear or if we had to lug our gear from the car to the site??
You will be allowed to drive your gear in, prior to 2pm Friday arvo. All cars must be removed after that time. We'd like to keep it open longer but there will be so much happening around the village that we can't risk it.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
I spent quite a lot of time on Little Seymore this morning and watched a number of riders go through the various steps and it really isn't as vicious as many people are making it sound. It also has heaps of overtaking spots.
To those who dont know it, how would you describe that section? Whats hard about it? Not really worried, just more interested really.