SCOTT 24 hour 2010

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Makin' Trax finished Willow's Trail yesterday arvo and we marked it as part of the course, hopefully some rain overnight has helped bed it in. You pop out of Little Seymore (the gutter will get filled in soon BTW) and have ~50m on fireroad before a short pinch up and into Willow's Trail. Unfortunately the really wet weather of September means we haven't been able to connect it to Wombat Junction. The trail will be dedicated on Thursday, time TBA.
Willo Track dedication

Dagget

Squid
So Little Seymour is definitley in ?

I may have to pop out there and ride it a few times tonight so I'm not so prissy about it.:D

Can't wait for Saturday ...

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Anyone know when you're allowed to go out and set up camp? Ie can I go out Thursday lunch and pop up my tent?

Plenty of camping spots already being set up/roped off. Finished riding around 8:30pm and the team track is looking awesome.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Apparently this is not actually a 24 hour race, the schedule only allows the teams 23.5 hours. We start at 12.15 and finished at 11.45 the next day to fit around the elite world solos (the only riders who actually get a 24 hour race).

Welcome to the Scott23.5 :(

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Camping

Anyone know when you're allowed to go out and set up camp? Ie can I go out Thursday lunch and pop up my tent?
You can set up now if you have arranged it (the camps already there are by prior arrangement/permission and the people are not staying on site). Officially you can drive in from 1500h Thursday.

rideabike

Likes Bikes
Apparently this is not actually a 24 hour race, the schedule only allows the teams 23.5 hours. We start at 12.15 and finished at 11.45 the next day to fit around the elite world solos (the only riders who actually get a 24 hour race).

But you can usually get another lap in just before 12pm, getting back anywhere up to an hour or so after the cut off time for laps - so it's about 25hrs! But would be good to still be able to go out for last laps at 1215 on the Sunday.

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt

yeah sounds like we come second to the soloist in more ways than one this time round...
Can't beleive we're not riding skyline!

I completely understand of course. I'm just a bit sore about the lack of the climb and descent - that's what makes the scott for me.

Neon

Likes Dirt
I'm just a bit sore about the lack of the climb and descent - that's what makes the scott for me.
i think it turned out last year that the lap around the side of the hill (similar to this years teams lap) had more climb than the lap which went to the top, maybe it was more spread out, but it does seem as though there was less climb.

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So it looks like my rear shock has developed a leak somewhere, it's 4 days away from race day, what are the odds of getting it rebuilt on sat morning?

it is a FoxFloat R AVA

Bring it down to us, preferably already off the bike, and we'll fix it up for you.

We plan to be down and set up by 2pm tomorrow.

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Sh!t

I went for a quick ride this afternoon, got to the top of the hill, started to go down and quickly realised that I had almost no front breaking power. (SLX /Shimano)

Finally got home, I have had a quick look ( I am not great with this stuff ) and I can pull the leaver all the way in and it still won't engage the pads ( well not much anyway). I can see and feel at the top that fluid has been leaking..... I have no idea what to do now, does this sound like a major problem? Is there anywhere I can get this fixed at the Scott ( I fully expect to pay ) as I don't like my chances of my LBS being able to help me tomorrow....

Any help would be great!

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
Sh!t

I went for a quick ride this afternoon, got to the top of the hill, started to go down and quickly realised that I had almost no front breaking power. (SLX /Shimano)

Finally got home, I have had a quick look ( I am not great with this stuff ) and I can pull the leaver all the way in and it still won't engage the pads ( well not much anyway). I can see and feel at the top that fluid has been leaking..... I have no idea what to do now, does this sound like a major problem? Is there anywhere I can get this fixed at the Scott ( I fully expect to pay ) as I don't like my chances of my LBS being able to help me tomorrow....

Any help would be great!
Since you omitted emoticons I'll assume you're being straight.

Without reading the competion rules I can't whether or not your bike as is contravenes the competion rules, however riding either of the courses this weekend without a front brake is nuts.

I think your best bet at this point is to see if you share one of your team mates bike or see if you can barrow one - make sure you take extra cable ties and the capacity to swap peddles if you're sharing with a team mate - either way paying for the bike's post race service should be a given.

Good Luck.

PS last time I did Scott we ended two bikes down and one point we were juggling demo bikes to make up numbers...

prklcd

Likes Dirt
Since you omitted emoticons I'll assume you're being straight.

Without reading the competion rules I can't whether or not your bike as is contravenes the competion rules, however riding either of the courses this weekend without a front brake is nuts.

I think your best bet at this point is to see if you share one of your team mates bike or see if you can barrow one - make sure you take extra cable ties and the capacity to swap peddles if you're sharing with a team mate - either way paying for the bike's post race service should be a given.

Good Luck.

PS last time I did Scott we ended two bikes down and one point we were juggling demo bikes to make up numbers...
I recently got a service which is very annoying. It's the leaver that is leaking. Just wondering if this is likely to be an easy fix for my LBS? (ie if I get there as soon as they open and beg them to look at it for me, is it something they will be able to do quickly). Unfortunaly I am not up to speed on these things as much as I would like.

I agree - doing a lap without a front brake isn't a good idea.

Last edited:

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, I'm just packing for the weekend.

I've got bike, helmet, beer, and my collection of MTB event t-shirts.

Anything else?

muvro

Likes Dirt
a new elbow ligament for me? mine snapped. I wonder if shimano have a pin for that.
I don't think Shimano do them, but Hope make an awesome one in the usual colours... ;)

re brakes leaking.

Can't be real hard to fix, Just put a new lever on. 10 min job. All the current ('09) line of brake levers are interchangable. SLX, XT, Saint and XTR.

Blingerific

Likes Dirt
Teams climbing

i think it turned out last year that the lap around the side of the hill (similar to this years teams lap) had more climb than the lap which went to the top, maybe it was more spread out, but it does seem as though there was less climb.
Quite true, and this year is much the same, remember that the solos climb the hill twice. If I tried that with the teams race I'd be lynched!

By the same token though I have had an awful lot of feedback about doing the Cockatoo Climbs "again". But hey, 2010 teams some of Stromlo's funerest tracks that have rarely or never been used in a race before.

And the Race Director assured me yesterday (between swearing at his tent ;-) that everyone will be doing 24 hours...

Time to head to Stromlo. C'yas there!

Cheers!
Mullet