Scott Voltage v Giant STP

dh 4life

Likes Dirt
So I'm choosing a new and i have narrowed it down to a possible two bike (this is what my local bike shops have in store). I just would like your views on both bikes.
Like pros and cons about them?

Okay so we have:

Scott Voltage yz Ltd

or

Giant STP 0
thanks for your help :)

kozlik9

Likes Dirt
mmmmm scott
i cant see the picture to well
It looks like the scott has better running gear and wheels
But the STP has nicer forks (imo)
they have the same brakes and the same level cranks
The scott has i nice guide but no bash plate (no biggie)

Id go the scott cause i like scotts

good luck
Todd

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Put up a spec list for both. Makes it easier to compare.

I have a scott voltage ltd but a 2007 model and it is awesome. Rides really nice and can't really flaw anything.

Hard to tell from the pictures as can't really see what a lot of parts are, and also depends on price, but they look fairly similarly specced. The scott has interchangeable dropouts and a through axle rear which would be quite a bit stronger and stiffer than the stp's qr but its easy enough to put a bolt up axle on the stp anyway.
Ride both and see what feels better?

For the same price I reckon I'd go the scott just cos I prefer the look and there is quite a number of stp's around. :p

dh 4life

Likes Dirt
here is the spec list this should help alot more. silly of me not to put it up in the first place:(

scott spec list

Frame Construction TIG-welded
Frame Tubing Material 6061 Alloy
Fork: Brand & Model Marzocchi DJ 1 SL, 100mm travel
Fork: Material Single
Rear: Shock Not applicable
Brakeset: Avid Juicy 3.5 hydraulic w/160mm rotor brakes, Avid Juicy 3.5 hydraulic levers
Shift Levers: SRAM X.7
Front Derailleur: E Thirteen LG1, ICSG05
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9
Crankset: TruVativ Holzfeller DH 1.1, 36 teeth
Pedals: TruVativ Hussefelt
Bottom Bracket: TruVativ Howitzer
Rear Cogs: 9-speed, 12 - 26 teeth
Chain: SRAM PG-971
Seatpost: Scott Pivotal zero offset, 31.6mm diameter
Saddle: Scott Pivotal ATMOSF AIR
Handlebar: Scott Pilot FR 2.0
Handlebar Stem: TruVativ Hussefelt
Headset: 1 1/8" threadless FSA Mallet
Hubs Front: Scott Pro, 20mm, Rear: Sun Ringle Lawwill 12mm Axle
Rims: Sun MTX 33, 32-hole
Tires: 26 x 2.25" Schwalbe Table Top Sport
Spoke: Brand DT Swiss Champion stainless, 15ga. (1.8mm) straight gauge

giant spec list

size: regular:13.5, large:14.5
colours: White
frame: ALUXX alloy: double butted, integrated gusset w/CNC BB yoke
fork: Rockshox Argyle 409 Air w/maxle 4"/100mm
rear derailleur: SRAM X-7 9 speed medium cage
front derailleur: N/A
shifters: SRAM X-5 trigger shift 9 speed
crankset: Raceface Diablous X-Type 36T
bottom bracket: Raceface Diablous X-Type integrated, outboard
shift/chain guide: E-13 STS Chain Guide
chain: Shimano HG73 9speed
cassette: SRAM PG950 11-32T
brakes: Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic w/6" rotors
brake: levers Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic
hubs Fr: Formula 20mm | Rr: Shimano Deore 9sp cassette disc
rims: Sun Rhyno Lite XL 26 x 36H w/eyelets
spokes: DT Swiss 14G stainless
tyres: Maxxis Holly Roller 2.4"
pedals: Truvativ Holzfeller
h.bar/stem: Truvativ Holzfeller
seat post: SDG I Beam 30.9 freestyle
saddle: SDG I Sky freestyle
grips: Giant lock-on

this should help alot more;)

jimmy irwin

Likes Dirt
I would have to go with the voltage, i think overall it has better spec and it looks way sicker, Go the Scott:D

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
Each bike has its pros and cons, but the Scott doesn't get you bad looks when you ride it near bike groms. the stp does have nice forks...

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok if you are planning on going for the STP it would be almost stupid to buy a brand new one when 2nd hand ones come so cheap~
So if you are buying new I'd go for the Scott.

Depends on the price too.

And this is coming from a person who owns a now custom STP 0, so if anything I should be biased towards the STP, but from experience all I can say is that I wouldn't be buying brand new, value lost is far greater than benefits gained!

krusty66

Likes Dirt
Scott voltage for sure I just bought one it's an 09 and it's crazy can't get off it. Balance point for manuals is amazing! Super fast on the track

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I could have one (09)for sale within a few weeks!!! Basically brand new, I bought one a couple of weeks ago whilst waiting for insurance to come thru on my stolen bikes. They are awesome and much better than a STP (I should know I have owned 2 STP's in the past) PM me if you are interested, looks identical to the firts one Fat Ride has posted above minus the forks

Last edited:

mitchy-b

Likes Dirt
man cant go past the that voltage, tough as nails, and im sure you would get better looks from other people :) we know thats what its all about !

dh 4life

Likes Dirt
thanks everyone for the input but across all of your votes to ward the voltage i'm going to be getting the STP most because i can get it for an insanely low price of $1350. Compared to the voltage at $2000 but i'm not a very serious rider i'm only 15yrs.

But thanks for all your input. :D

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks everyone for the input but across all of your votes to ward the voltage i'm going to be getting the STP most because i can get it for an insanely low price of $1350. Compared to the voltage at $2000 but i'm not a very serious rider i'm only 15yrs.

But thanks for all your input. :D

Ask your store about the Voltage 0.5 LTD. It's the Lance McDermott sig bike. Same frame as the 0 but a bit lower spec.

I would say you could probably get it at the same or cheaper than the STP.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's a good choice because with the money you save you can customize the STP to your liking, change the forks, pedals, grips or whatever!

Although keeping that in mind I would give consideration if the Scott is worth extra providing you would be completely happy with the spec and not want to change anything vs paying less for the STP and having flexibility to spend the extra to change some parts that might not be to your liking. Of course if you were to purchase the Scott and then still wanted to change the pedals, grips, saddle or whatever to your personal preference it would be even more exxy.

In the end the bike is only as good as the rider, my poor STP must be pretty shithouse then!