Seeking advice on sponsorship

moorey

call me Mia
Afternoon brains trust, captains of industry, and cycling experts.
Felix has really stepped up his racing game of late, and I think it’s time I looked at trying to get him a bit more support than I can offer (or afford).
He raced Shimano Bike Buller Festival on the weekend, and convincingly won the DH, Enduro, SuperD and Gravity God titles. Racing u15’s, he’s 13, with another year in that class.
He’s really only ever ridden cheaper SH bikes or my hand me downs. He raced all events on the weekend on his 155mm Transition suppressor (technically a 26, but set up 27.5).
People regularly ask me if he’s getting any sponsorship. He isn’t, and I have no idea about how to look into this. Not talking factory rides, just some support with his gear and parts.
Anyone got any experience or tips on how to go about looking into this?
Or do you just wait for a guy in a suit with a briefcase full of money to tap you on the shoulder?

scblack

Leucocholic
When I was a teenager racing BMX I just went into my local bike shop and asked for sponsorship. They provided free tyres, very cheap parts, free service for wearing their name etc on my jersey.

Maybe try that.

moorey

call me Mia
LBS (Dynamite Cycles) helps out a lot of locals, and they’re friends. They’re a small grass roots shop. I wouldn’t want to ask them to stretch any further.
Cheers.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Shop support is a lot easier to get, brand support is hard.
Think of it like a job interview, put a CV together along with an accompanying letter of what Felix will be able to offer the shop/ brand in terms of publicity/ exposure then go press the flesh. (Have been previously shop sponsored)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Can your friends down at LBS put some good words at some distro’s? “Oi lusty give this bloke a bike ayoooooo” or somethin like that.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Maybe check with the local shop/s to see if they’ll promote his worth to their bike suppliers ie he could have support from Giant or Focus rather than from the LBS as such.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Have you tried to get his profile in some mtb magazines or online? I have some mates that are sponsored for fishing and they write articles and take photos and the companies contacted them after seeing their articles. Maybe you could try and get some articles about Felix and you might not get contacted initially but you could use the articles as part of the CV @bear the bear mentioned.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
What little I know about this stuff is that you have to sell Felix to the brand.
The owners of the brand/distro/shop etc want their return-on-investment. It's not enough to just enter races with their stickers & apparel showing and hope for the best.
You will need various social media channels (with slick production) with regular updates for the masses to feed on.
If you're gonna go down the sponsorship road, you might as well have a red hot crack at it now, while he's young & improving at such a rapid rate.
(and don't die wondering...and all that...)
It sounds like he really has the talent to have a proper go at this(?) If you get him noticed now, by the time he turns 16 or 17 and the physical development is really making him stronger & faster, he'll be on his way ;)

I think a small shop sponsorship might be a starting point, but I'd aim higher, sooner, and market him aggressively to the brands you want to target.

In the old days this kind of stuff was all word-of-mouth and "someone knew someone who hooked me up with a meeting etc"
....in 2019 it is ALL about social media. That is THE only game for getting noticed.

(just my 2 cents)

Brow

Big Block
Def put together a CV and recent results are good. You need to let sponsors know what you/Felix can do to promote them too. A name on a Jersey is one thing but media exposure is what they want and need. Social media seems to be the go these days.
Not bikes but I had some sponsorship in Drag Racing a car a long time ago in Darwin. Branding on me and the car, exposure to crowd numbers and what media coverage I could propose such as newspaper reports, TV coverage, displays leading up to race meetings. I got fees paid (receipts to sponsor) big discounts on parts, free air freight for parts (good for sending heads etc south for machining and repairs) from various sponsors.

Maybe look at approaching Pushys or MTB Direct?

Good luck with it.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
my mate was a bike rep [worked for most of the big guys at some stage ina state capacity, eg vic/tas] he had the ability to give frames to young riders with a signed contract locking them in for extra success, but he was giant,scott,spec, cannons etc, don’t know if transition or others would have the same features, maybe ask dynamite if any of their reps can help out with their visiting reps, this not costing dynamite, ask them which wholesaler they get tyres etc from also, i know the couple of melb guys get all their schwalbe tyres for free, come from some warehouse in bentliegh

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
What little I know about this stuff is that you have to sell Felix to the brand.
The owners of the brand/distro/shop etc want their return-on-investment. It's not enough to just enter races with their stickers & apparel showing and hope for the best.
You will need various social media channels (with slick production) with regular updates for the masses to feed on.
If you're gonna go down the sponsorship road, you might as well have a red hot crack at it now, while he's young & improving at such a rapid rate.
(and don't die wondering...and all that...)
It sounds like he really has the talent to have a proper go at this(?) If you get him noticed now, by the time he turns 16 or 17 and the physical development is really making him stronger & faster, he'll be on his way ;)

I think a small shop sponsorship might be a starting point, but I'd aim higher, sooner, and market him aggressively to the brands you want to target.

In the old days this kind of stuff was all word-of-mouth and "someone knew someone who hooked me up with a meeting etc"
....in 2019 it is ALL about social media. That is THE only game for getting noticed.

(just my 2 cents)
Yeah, that's my understanding (such as it is) about how to get noticed by sponsors these days. He definitely has a good head on his shoulders, and that can only help.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Are there any local photographers you can hook up with? Get out and get some rad shots of the boy shredding the gnar. Gotta get them hashtags out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk