Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
For weeks now I've been telling myself that I won't come on here and rant but today was the final straw. There is something very wrong with people who ride trails in Canberra.

PRO TIP: IF YOU'RE OUT RIDING THE TRAILS AND DECIDE TO STOP FOR WHATEVER REASON - GET THE FARK OFF THE TRAIL!!!!!

I have now lost count of the amount of times I've had to fully lock up, go bush or just stop and look at some one because they are just sitting there, dead still in the middle of the trail...., quite often right in the middle of a high-speed section. The guy today on the flow trail at Majura, I'm looking at you. The guy on Bruce Ridge two weeks back with his little girl that had me screaming towards them, brakes locked yelling "loooook oouutt", this thread is for you. The two guys who'd just come from Bruce Ridge that were taking up the whole bike path and look at me mystified as I said "guys, carnt of a place to stop", you're it. The guy also near Bruce Ridge who heard me say "Mate, people come barrelling down this hill any you're ona blind corner", this rant's for you. The two guys on Bruce Ridge that forced me to ride around them because you were too lazy and arrogant to to move one meter sideways when I rode up to you, I'm talking about you.

Honestly, don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, it's only really been happening for the last 3 months but the regularity with which it occurs has left me bewildered. How the fuck can anyone not think "this is a bad idea" when they sit in the middle of a really fast (or any) section of trail??!!

If any of the people in Canberra that have had a fairly chunky guy on a green Trek or silver Cannondale tell you you're in a stupid place to stop are reading this thread, you're doing something dangerous, frustrating and really, really fucking dumb. Take a step to the side and get out of people's way, please.

Pointless rant at the interweb done.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yup good call. I've been riding with the wife and boy more over the last couple of months and I swear my 8 year old has better trail manners than most users. He's been training to listen for faster riders and pull of at the first chance and when stopping to clear off the track. The number of knobs that just fucking stop in the middle of the trail is amazing especially on blind corners. How hard is it to pull left off the track???????

Haakon

Keeps on digging
There was a guy running down Pork Barrel today - luckily I saw him in time to make him jump off the track!

Once also came up behind a bunch of bloody walkers on Skyline - I was seriously getting on it and was flying, if they hadn't of jumped sideways as quick as they did it would have been ugly because there was no way I could have stopped in time...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Once mountain biking was for mountain bikers. Now its popular and the idiots have invaded...

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
There was a guy running down Pork Barrel today - luckily I saw him in time to make him jump off the track!

Once also came up behind a bunch of bloody walkers on Skyline - I was seriously getting on it and was flying, if they hadn't of jumped sideways as quick as they did it would have been ugly because there was no way I could have stopped in time...
Had a guy walking with his kids down skyline one day.

Yesterday encountered a bloke jogging down ABC switchbacks. Obviously not as dangerous or annoying as scenario 1, but still WTF??

Actually encountered a lot of fuckwittery at Stromlo yesterday but what do you expect on Easter saturday.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lots of traffic today for sure. Everyone was pretty cool and amiable though, even the idiot running down pork barrel. Big shout out to the couple of 8 (ish?) yo kids making their way up to the top.

Thankfully no knobs parked on the trail and everyone I called out "passing!" to were not dicks about it. Cracking weather for it too...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Had a guy walking with his kids down skyline one day.

Yesterday encountered a bloke jogging down ABC switchbacks. Obviously not as dangerous or annoying as scenario 1, but still WTF??

Actually encountered a lot of fuckwittery at Stromlo yesterday but what do you expect on Easter saturday.
Yup, there appears to be a lot more foot traffic recently. The issue is that the trails are not designed as multi-use and so most riders don't expect to fly around a corner and come across a walker.

jellylegs

Banned
Good thing that we can come on here and vent at these fools. I just pull up say hi, and carmly tell them what they are doing wrong and they relise their mistake apnd tend not to make the same mistake again. I found yelling and screaming as i go past results in then just ignoring me and just thinking, what a f wit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I should have said something to the two runners I saw today in hindsight. But I was in a good mood and everyone on the trails was being cool so I let it slide.

It is a problem at stromlo though. I don't mind them so much running on the climbs as we are all going slow as well, but runners really need to stay off the descents!

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Once mountain biking was for mountain bikers. Now its popular and the idiots have invaded...
Pretty much. The amount of people I see at the regular trails out on their first mtb excursion with their a flash new carbon 29'er with all the trimmings is staggering.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, sorry, not pulling up for a calm chat halfway through a down hill run when I've just had to lock up and go bush to avoid destroying myself and my bike.

Although, I am interested to know how you are sure that these folk you calmly talk to never do it again, and, that they are not thinking what an F-wit when you ride off.

placebo

Likes Dirt
For weeks now I've been telling myself that I won't come on here and rant but today was the final straw... I have now lost count of the amount of times I've had to fully lock up, go bush or just stop and look at some one because they are just sitting there, dead still in the middle of the trail...., quite often right in the middle of a high-speed section... The two guys who'd just come from Bruce Ridge that were taking up the whole bike path and look at me mystified as I said "guys, carnt of a place to stop", you're it. The guy also near Bruce Ridge who heard me say "Mate, people come barrelling down this hill any you're ona blind corner", this rant's for you... How the fuck can anyone not think "this is a bad idea" when they sit in the middle of a really fast (or any) section of trail??!!

Good thing that we can come on here and vent at these fools. I just pull up say hi, and carmly tell them what they are doing wrong and they relise their mistake apnd tend not to make the same mistake again.
*Pulls up calmly*

Way to miss the point of a thread, fool.

*rides off*

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Oh Johnny, wished you had witnessed the blokes riding up Double Dissolution backwards to 'look for their mates' a couple of weeks back instead of the fireroad which runs adjacent to the track!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Fools are everywhere

Not just an isolated case in Canberra, happens in Brissy too. Public and school holidays are the worst time for a quick pin down the local trails.

We have a predominantly down trail close to a car park, all the f@#wits decide to climb it and there are near misses all the time. There are heaps of other trails in the park to climb in peace but they must climb that one with the many blind corners.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pic from today...a considerate dog owner. Dog off leash, in a state conservation area (no dogs allowed), on a trail originally called No Domestic Pets (due to the large sign)...moron! As soon as that leash was off the dog gave zero fucks what the owner was saying.

sketch-1459076039509.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Good thing that we can come on here and vent at these fools. I just pull up say hi, and carmly tell them what they are doing wrong and they relise their mistake apnd tend not to make the same mistake again. I found yelling and screaming as i go past results in then just ignoring me and just thinking, what a f wit.
I don't mind being thought of as a fuckwit...as long as it is the kind of fuckwit people think it best to avoid, and thus cease their stupidity.

My local recently had some nefarious sleaze bags scaring/attacking/being within cooooeeeee of some woman. Understandably gave them and no doubt the wider community of female walkers and runners that use the area a bit of a fright. I've since noticed more foot traffic in the riding area...safety in numbers I guess.

Kind_cir

Likes Dirt
Done.

Had been waiting for a reason to ban you, thanks for ponying up.
Haha Jellylegs the mods bit you. I laugh at some of the shit here too. Shit shit everywhere.
Should ban that Moorey too, for breaking forum rules like most on here.
Don't have an opinion that goes against the flow, or you may get banned.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Haha Jellylegs the mods bit you. I laugh at some of the shit here too. Shit shit everywhere.
Should ban that Moorey too, for breaking forum rules like most on here.
Don't have an opinion that goes against the flow, or you may get banned.
And if I get a single inkling that you are jellylegs I'll ban this account too.