Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

binner

Hath shat hymself
what suburb

They've build a few new trials in my area and one trail in particular they T off from another that already had an entry point from the road. Every son a gun decides to stop right on this intersection and chat. Before you get to the intersection there's a descent that leads to a longish wooden plank that crosses a small gully and it's hard to see where the knobs are positioned until you're at the start of the plank. All of a sudden people scramble left or right and you're on this plank locking up brakes doing a track stand. :rant:
where r u talking?

mtb1611

Seymour
people who ride the wrong way on one way trails (stromlo) bolting down greens, or another time when there was a fire road on one side or a trail in the direction they were riding to the other
Agreed; on fire trails, stick to the left!!!!! How f%$#ing hard is it?!

stirk

Burner
was with a mate who's new to mtnbiking...but a capable rider, he asked the same......to my knowledge it was UP that has RoW....

but the trail to my liking is the new type flowy down trail which carries speed....and hence its easier for those going up to clear way.....but really, either way common sense should prevail....but common sense is limited to an individuals care factor....
You can leave it with common sense!

Some sections of steep local firetrail common sense says you need to ride on the outside of a corner off the cleaner line or risk a fast rider heading down having to change direction quickly and creating greater risk for all. You have more visibility on the outside going slow uphill than a fast rider heading down.

Every situation needs to be assessed before making a decision and sadly lots of people have no commonsense hence this thread!

Calling track or trail when not in a race indicates the person is a stravahole. Shame your newbie mate had to come across that kind of attitude.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Scooting up Line 2 of Stromlo yesterday came across a dog walker on the trail - a very scrubby and tight, fast section with low visibility. Some advice was given, especially since there are fire roads all over that place, which are far, far more suitable for dog walking.

In regards to who gets right of way, the rule generally has been up has RoW. However I reckon that's a pretty dumbarse rule. As mentioned above, the person coming down has to make a greater effort to shift direction or pull up quickly where as the rider going up can do this much easier. The logic of it is so simple and the added bonus is that not all trails are on hills! The rule doesn't cover basic single track on flat/undulating ground.

The best rule is, as again, mentioned above; everyone pulls to their left to best avoid a collision. Over and above that, if some one is clearly pinning and you're not, get out of their way!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
was with a mate who's new to mtnbiking...but a capable rider, he asked the same......to my knowledge it was UP that has RoW....

but the trail to my liking is the new type flowy down trail which carries speed....and hence its easier for those going up to clear way.....but really, either way common sense should prevail....but common sense is limited to an individuals care factor....
This book should be of great assistance:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9510155-john-law-s-book-of-uncommon-sense

An excellent variation of the "Piss off" theme!
Piss right off!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Common sense is a term coined by Thomas Paine in regard to the likelihood of the vast majority of Americans seeing their country as independent of Great Britain. It actually has nothing to do with 'basic grasp of sound and rational concepts".

I prefer to call that 'common dog fuck' instead.

Anyone who has been in the defence forces will understand......

stirk

Burner
Common sense is a term coined by Thomas Paine in regard to the likelihood of the vast majority of Americans seeing their country as independent of Great Britain. It actually has nothing to do with 'basic grasp of sound and rational concepts".

I prefer to call that 'common dog fuck' instead.

Anyone who has been in the defence forces will understand......
Ha, had to search, so many acronyms and slang here!

Good read, although will take a while! You military folk are inventive.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Australian_English_military_slang

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
"Common sense" when used in an argument/discussion, is because the person saying it, can't comprehend that there is another point of view, and/or they have no evidence or rational argument to back up their view.

The other one "common sense is entirely uncommon" is a quip but used again to say I am right, and everyone else is an idiot.

These are probably only on the last 20 years - so maybe shows just how fast language and it's use changes over time.

On trails, whoever is moving slowest (walker or rider) has the best chance of hearing someone coming, so the best chance of avoiding a crash earliest. LTIH walkers on single track with earphones in

Gripo

Eats Squid
what would a REASONABLE person do?

"Common sense" when used in an argument/discussion, is because the person saying it, can't comprehend that there is another point of view, and/or they have no evidence or rational argument to back up their view.

The other one "common sense is entirely uncommon" is a quip but used again to say I am right, and everyone else is an idiot.

These are probably only on the last 20 years - so maybe shows just how fast language and it's use changes over time.

On trails, whoever is moving slowest (walker or rider) has the best chance of hearing someone coming, so the best chance of avoiding a crash earliest. LTIH walkers on single track with earphones in
I noticed the term "common sense" started to lose its known meaning back in the 90s with such phrase as "there's no such thing as common sense when it comes to safety" particular as workplaces had to embrace WH&S laws.....

Nowadays a new phrase has slipped in to a managers toolkit of manipulating a conversation especially where the companies code of conduct is involved, that phrase being "what would a REASONABLE person do in this....."......now a reasonable person is probably someone who has common sense....or maybe not lol

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

That John laws book is more than 20 years old.

stirk

Burner

mtb1611

Seymour
What an absolute load of nonsense. The ability to comprehend the existence of a perspective other than one's own, or a lack/presence of rational evidence has nothing to do with it. The term "common sense" refers to rational judgement and sound perspective; analyse and evaluate a situation then act appropriately in the given context. The vast majority of trail behaviour portrayed in this thread provides more than enough rational evidence to support that.

Last edited:

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Group of middle-aged budding Spielbergs with a video camera standing around half way down Luge making weird bigfoot noises at Stromlo today.

Odd.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Group of middle-aged budding Spielbergs with a video camera standing around half way down Luge making weird bigfoot noises at Stromlo today.

Odd.
Hahahaha! Thats awesome, I would have stopped and watched or even joined in. Were you tempted to sneak back up in the bushes and frighten the fuck out of them?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Hahahaha! Thats awesome, I would have stopped and watched or even joined in. Were you tempted to sneak back up in the bushes and frighten the fuck out of them?
I was going too quickly to be sure of what kind of movie it was.

Didn't want to end up in some sort of Deliverance situation.