Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yes, I agree and and the other side line usually is the best and safest way to get around the peds.

I do usually stop to walking pace for any little kids though since I don't want to freak them or their parents and and they can be unpredictable. I'd hope that the littlies would get to like riding and continue doing it when they get older. If turn into an elitist Strava-arse at that time then it can't make them think biking is a nice thing to do.

Seeing Strava primed XC arseholes gunning it on the kids loop section which they also share with 4 year old girls on their 12" pink department store bike with a fluffy unicorn in the basket is a bit shit. I feel for the kids and not the entitled XC butthead.
Little kids on the trail giving it a red hot go is absolutely to be encouraged :) I always give them space and encouragement, and a big thanks when they pull off to let me past. Half a dozen of the little buggers stopped in the middle of the trail gets a comment to the responsible adult, or a gentle encouragement to the kids to pull off if stopped.

No need to buzz the kids, its usually the fault of an adult somewhere...

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, I agree and and the other side line usually is the best and safest way to get around the peds.

I do usually stop to walking pace for any little kids though since I don't want to freak them or their parents and and they can be unpredictable. I'd hope that the littlies would get to like riding and continue doing it when they get older. If turn into an elitist Strava-arse at that time then it can't make them think biking is a nice thing to do.

Seeing Strava primed XC arseholes gunning it on the kids loop section which they also share with 4 year old girls on their 12" pink department store bike with a fluffy unicorn in the basket is a bit shit. I feel for the kids and not the entitled XC butthead.
Yup , the kids are generally , just " riding their Bike " - and are in a Happy Place
i came down a trail yesterday and on a blind corner in the middle of a muddy mess - and there was poor little fella about 10 lying on the ground in the mud .......he was okay just muddy and some pride damage .
- 'are you okay ? , where's your trail buddy ? '
a voice in the distance ..... 'where are you mate ? '

He was fine , and too be expected on a day when everyone just wanted to get out !

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A few times on dig days I've tried to get the local trail crew and parks clones on board for more kids' trails.including 2 times where beginner and low skill jumps/trails wee being altered to suit me. There is a completely suitable space at the entry to the reserve that would make an awesome spot for trails to suit micro riders, a pump track, skills obstacles...and not a single bit of native bushland needs be risked, it's just invasive grass, lantana, and black berry. Various responses of why not exist, my favourite being there might one day be a carpark there. Inside the locked gate...across the road from a sizeable carpark. The safety gains that could be made would be immense.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah

I do usually stop to walking pace for any little kids though since I don't want to freak them or their parents and and they can be unpredictable.
Usually the kids are doing just fine riding in a predictable, straight line...

...until their cusswit parents shout, "Look out!" to them from behind, causing them to try and look behind them, and we all know what happens when you do that on a bike.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
...until their cusswit parents shout, "Look out!" to them from behind, causing them to try and look behind them, and we all know what happens when you do that on a bike.
That's true, I have asked a few parents 'where is your bike' that walking while the kids having a great time. It is sadly the culture of bikes are for kids only and older cyclists are just weirdos, well not totally false, but you get the idea :)

I guess non-riders just have that feeling that anyone on a bicycle is an unguided missile hurtling down a path with only luck on their side than good management and you will get hit if you don't run for your life.

Jpez

Down on the left!
That's true, I have asked a few parents 'where is your bike' that walking while the kids having a great time. It is sadly the culture of bikes are for kids only and older cyclists are just weirdos, well not totally false, but you get the idea :)

I guess non-riders just have that feeling that anyone on a bicycle is an unguided missile hurtling down a path with only luck on their side than good management and you will get hit if you don't run for your life.
When you get say a roadie on a shared path hurtling past within inches at 30plus km with no bell or warning it’s not hard to see how people form that opinion.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Will the new updates and death knell of Strava result in fewer arse holes on the trails?
What is this about the death knell of Strava? got a Link to share?

@Jpez I have seen many roadie commuters who seem to treat the regular ride home from work as a race, with large groups team-timetrialing along, playing chicken with bikes and people going the opposite direction, including cutting blind corners, barely scrubbing any speed.

Last edited:

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Usually the kids are doing just fine riding in a predictable, straight line...

I get that occasionally when about to pass a pedestrian and call out "Hi, just passing on you right" and they jump out of their skin and, of course, jump sideways, to their right :rolleyes:
I don't condone buzzing walkers at high speed but the argument of "a cyclist nearly hit me" doesn't really fly. For starters the bike rider will come of just as bad or worse in most cases if they did hit them and I know you can't see me, but I can definitely see you and I'm not deliberately going to hit you, to my own detriment.
Also if you are wearing ear buds walking/jogging you don't deserve any warning:p,

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Because he's not our hero; he's a silent guardian, a watchful protecter, a Strava Knight.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05...xUs9x2atpbAu3SmKcusQxf2iGkPJ-JZvOe1c0RCm1OvgQ
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stravas-latest-update-makes-leaderboards-a-paid-for-feature/
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/a32567204/strava-free-subscriber/
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/strava-subscriber-update/

Essentially hiding everything behind a pay wall and cutting features in general.
Also saying they will likely go under without more subs.
Might be a boon for using Trailforks. There are leaderboards and you can create routes all for free.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
When you get say a roadie on a shared path hurtling past within inches at 30plus km with no bell or warning it’s not hard to see how people form that opinion.
Agreed, not saying it isn't a good thing to gun it past pedestrians. We all have to get along together.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Because he's not our hero; he's a silent guardian, a watchful protecter, a Strava Knight.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05...xUs9x2atpbAu3SmKcusQxf2iGkPJ-JZvOe1c0RCm1OvgQ
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stravas-latest-update-makes-leaderboards-a-paid-for-feature/
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/a32567204/strava-free-subscriber/
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/strava-subscriber-update/

Essentially hiding everything behind a pay wall and cutting features in general.
Also saying they will likely go under without more subs.
Wow, the Strava company turn out to be the biggest #stravaholes .... who knew!?!?! :p