Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

Flow-Rider

Burner
I've found the trailforks leaderboard to be even more inaccurate than Strava. Local Example - Check out gap between #1 and #2 compared to average speed.
It's no different to strava, you just got to know what to look for. There are a few Koms where I ride where people haven't even finished the segment or Strava picked up a ride from a fire road.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I've found the trailforks leaderboard to be even more inaccurate than Strava. Local Example - Check out gap between #1 and #2 compared to average speed.
Lol I know Ash Staff. He's certainly not usually at the pointy end of the leaderboard. I'm only 9th! :p
I take it with a grain of salt these days, it's good to see my personal progress but as for KOMz I'm not that fussed. There's a lot of Ebike rides disrupting the leaderboard now to so it is getting even more irrelevant.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol I know Ash Staff. He's certainly not usually at the pointy end of the leaderboard. I'm only 9th! :p
I take it with a grain of salt these days, it's good to see my personal progress but as for KOMz I'm not that fussed. There's a lot of Ebike rides disrupting the leaderboard now to so it is getting even more irrelevant.
Haha, yep on the ebikes - always a bit of an indicator when you click analyse and the speed graph on the climbs flatlines at 25km/h consistently. I gave up on comparing ages ago, just use it as personal progress tracking like you mentioned.

Speaking of Strava's analyse thingy, looks like they've made that unavailable to free members over the last day or two - can't view it anymore. :rolleyes:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the top ten people for the Great Circle Drive climb at the You Yangs just had their Strava going while being shuttled. A minute and a bit seems a little quick, even for an ebike. When Trav's gunning it, though...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Does it have amazing views?
Yeah, sort of (relatively speaking). Its why everyone stops there I assume. Its also right where the trails drops over onto a steepish drop into a couple of fast trail options that ideally shouldn't involve being distracted and annoyed whilst navigating gawkers...

Last edited:
The most common loop people follow is Loop 2 - up the main climb, then down Western Wedgetail, Skyline and Luge. About 25-30 minutes up, 10-15 down. All of that is pretty smooth. Not Wylde smooth though.

Have a break at the Handlebar and then go up for the bigger stuff - if you want chunk and tech or flowy jumps, it's all there. Lots of options.
Had a ball down there on Saturday. Light drizzle but nothing to worry about. My mate and I did the above suggestion 3 times and loved it. I bailed for laps 2 and 3 and just rode up the fire trail as I'm not as fit as my mate but in retrospect I think that was even harder. Did a fair amount of walking and pushing :-( Oh and it FOR SURE is smoother than Wylde.
Can't wait to get back there and do some different runs and also book a spot on the shuttle when it starts back up. Out of interest does anyone know the capacity of the shuttle and how early ahead you might need to book it?
Thanks all for your advice and suggestions.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Had a ball down there on Saturday. Light drizzle but nothing to worry about. My mate and I did the above suggestion 3 times and loved it. I bailed for laps 2 and 3 and just rode up the fire trail as I'm not as fit as my mate but in retrospect I think that was even harder. Did a fair amount of walking and pushing :-( Oh and it FOR SURE is smoother than Wylde.
Can't wait to get back there and do some different runs and also book a spot on the shuttle when it starts back up. Out of interest does anyone know the capacity of the shuttle and how early ahead you might need to book it?
I think the shuttle uses those bike racks that are a steel tube you drop a crank into... To be avoided if you like your bike without mangled cranks.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Nice one.

Wylde must've blown out a lot over the years then, but I have been down here four years now so it's been a long time since I was there.

When you return you'll definitely need to sample a few more trails; there's a lot more up there than the front of the hill!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Another lap of Stromlo, another set of idiots stopped on the bridge...
I snuck out for a quick lap on Sat arvo because I wanted to try out my winter gear and thought it would be dead given the rain.

Also came across people stopped on the bridge, and just asked loudly which trail they were taking - they let me through.. It is a bit annoying, but I get why it happens - you've got 4 trails meeting and then going into 3 - the bridge conjests it a bit, but anywhere else thats a normal place to stop, collect others in your group and do the next bit...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I snuck out for a quick lap on Sat arvo because I wanted to try out my winter gear and thought it would be dead given the rain.

Also came across people stopped on the bridge, and just asked loudly which trail they were taking - they let me through.. It is a bit annoying, but I get why it happens - you've got 4 trails meeting and then going into 3 - the bridge conjests it a bit, but anywhere else thats a normal place to stop, collect others in your group and do the next bit...
Yeah, but there is a nice big open space right in front of the bridge with stacks of room for congregating... Literally 10 metres away.

There is an ideal line for dropping onto the big left hander off the bridge, and even some opportunity for a bit of air if youre game - none of which is aided by having to edge past gawkers. And if you clip a bar on someone else's bike as you exit and drop down onto the trail it will get ugly fast...

Its always bugged me a bit, but its every single time i come through there now there is so much traffic.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
For those not familiar with Stromlo wondering what this is all about, in this video at around 45 seconds you can see why loitering around in front, inside (!) and on the other side of the container bridge is a really stupid place to do it:

Although I've never really understood the logic in having the DH and XC descents merging for the bridge there.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, but there is a nice big open space right in front of the bridge with stacks of room for congregating... Literally 10 metres away.
maybe they should put a map sign there, position it off to the side and it becomes an obvious gathering point. similar thing at queenstown,several trails into a clearing and a few out, sign is on a rise off to one side and thats where everyone regathers

Haakon

Keeps on digging
maybe they should put a map sign there, position it off to the side and it becomes an obvious gathering point. similar thing at queenstown,several trails into a clearing and a few out, sign is on a rise off to one side and thats where everyone regathers
Thats a good idea. I was thinking more like a big sign with half metre high bright red letters saying "DONT STOP ON THE BRIDGE YOU MUPPETS", but your idea is probably a better one :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
For those not familiar with Stromlo wondering what this is all about, in this video at around 45 seconds you can see why loitering around in front, inside (!) and on the other side of the container bridge is a really stupid place to do it:

Although I've never really understood the logic in having the DH and XC descents merging for the bridge there.
Or like this... Old mate sitting off to the right there is hidden and not where you want someone to be as you come through as proper speed.

Huh - there is a sign there saying dont stop there, ive never noticed that!! Wonder if its still there...

1.45 on this one. Muppet.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
lol wtf is going on on that first video.
I have no idea! Probably a lot of riders coming out slowly because these dip shits have clogged it up. Its not in a position ive ever looked coming through there, but ill have to check if that sign is still there. Not an ideal spot for it if it is..

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats a good idea. I was thinking more like a big sign with half metre high bright red letters saying "DONT STOP ON THE BRIDGE YOU MUPPETS", but your idea is probably a better one
we could put spikes like you use to stop pigeons gathering and crapping everywhere. or play neil diamond like they do to stop the kids hanging around

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was going to make a similar suggestion. Good idea!

The bridge is the shipping container? I remember there being a big crowd of kids with GoPros all over the place in the corners and jumps leading to the container...and douche bags congregating at the exit. Is that small rock ledge the drop you're talking about?

People are stupid!