Seriously, GET OFF THE F*CKING TRAILS, you idiots.......

stirk

Burner
I did some fire trail yesterday and flying down a hill at 50kph I got some scatter bomb action even though these people should be able to hear me coming from a fair distance. I think people are half deaf. I always slow down and thank them for getting out of the way but it does ruin the bombing of the hill and warp speed.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Interesting point that about people being half deaf, but I've started wondering if it's something slightly different from that. Most people spend so much time indoors these days, and receiving most information/entertainment from a single point (ie: through a screen, with everything there for our own individual entertainment), are we (in a societal sense) becoming more adapted to that? Spatial awareness seems to have gone down the gurgler with a lot of folk compared to what I remember from riding around the burbs as a young fella - even the half-deaf oldies had no trouble hearing you coming back in the day. Presumably a lot of them growing up pre-automobile and having to walk & ride most places they were pretty tuned in to listen to their surroundings. Dunno, just peoples obliviousness seems more than just deafness these days...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Stromlo bridges blocked up as per usual today. Fuckwits.

Ebikes being dicks about passing on the climbs and holding us up on the descents...

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Was out at some trails near red hill on Friday. Trails are less than legal so I tend not to piss and moan too much about what goes on there (yet here I am about to get a little pissy). Was riding some narrow single track that zig zags through the bush. Came to a short section with a double in it. You have to commit and put in a few peddles before you hit the double and you don’t sight the lander until the last second - not ideal but has never been an issue. Until Friday when a couple were walking their dog and stopped right in front of the lander. I yelled as I hit the lip, they scattered into the bushes and all ended ok but could have been nasty for all of us../

stirk

Burner
Interesting point that about people being half deaf, but I've started wondering if it's something slightly different from that. Most people spend so much time indoors these days, and receiving most information/entertainment from a single point (ie: through a screen, with everything there for our own individual entertainment), are we (in a societal sense) becoming more adapted to that? Spatial awareness seems to have gone down the gurgler with a lot of folk compared to what I remember from riding around the burbs as a young fella - even the half-deaf oldies had no trouble hearing you coming back in the day. Presumably a lot of them growing up pre-automobile and having to walk & ride most places they were pretty tuned in to listen to their surroundings. Dunno, just peoples obliviousness seems more than just deafness these days...
Spacial awareness is something actively engaged people have. If you are engaged when you ride a bike in a dangerous environment you see everything from insects and flowers and all the birds and you think every second stick is a snake and so your senses are amped to 11 ready to react. The amount of detail my brain takes in when I ride is huge because I'm fully engaged. But some people regardless of age just plod along either on foot or on a bike and just don't see or hear shit. I almost had a head on collision with another cyclist as he had his head down and was just plodding.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Spacial awareness is something actively engaged people have. If you are engaged when you ride a bike in a dangerous environment you see everything from insects and flowers and all the birds and you think every second stick is a snake and so your senses are amped to 11 ready to react. The amount of detail my brain takes in when I ride is huge because I'm fully engaged. But some people regardless of age just plod along either on foot or on a bike and just don't see or hear shit. I almost had a head on collision with another cyclist as he had his head down and was just plodding.
it’s also important to take in details when following a Lycra lass down skyline....

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
It's seems to be happening everywhere atm, I rode yesterday for the first time in about 3 months and was amazed by the amount of traffic on the trails. I deliberately rode pretty simple tracks because I thought I would be well rusty, on the downhill section of Serratta I came across 3 separate groups of walkers (2 walking up, and one down). They all jumped off the track smartly thankfully as there isn't much margin for detours or you'll be eating rock.

LTIL though, checked the fuel in the car and still had a 1/3 of a tank...I honestly cannot remember the last time I filled it (I think it was when the TP shortage happened and I thought fuel would be next).

LTIH, forgot how to set the cruise control, I had to fiddle for a minute to familiarise myself.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quick ride this arvo. Rode through the high traffic C-zombie zone so knew what to expect.
On a shared section of ST 2 guys walking towards me, one holding a phone talking on speaker. I pull over and signal to let them through. 4m away something interesting is said on the phone so they both stop dead, hold the phone up and have a natter, continuing to block the trail completely.
Being of lesser value than others’ phone conversations in the bush is really knocking my self esteem around.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Quick ride this arvo. Rode through the high traffic C-zombie zone so knew what to expect.
On a shared section of ST 2 guys walking towards me, one holding a phone talking on speaker. I pull over and signal to let them through. 4m away something interesting is said on the phone so they both stop dead, hold the phone up and have a natter, continuing to block the trail completely.
Being of lesser value than others’ phone conversations in the bush is really knocking my self esteem around.
At least you know where you stand now.

Attachments

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
That's not your issue, that's theirs!

safreek

Hope it was the latest iPhone.
But I reckon you need to just keep coming at them slowly. Still a pack of bastards though

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Are you allowed to trail run on the MTB trails at Stromlo? Had to call out to a runner on Old Duffy Descent that I was coming through and then told her loudly it was not for running as I went past.. Now I'm not so sure of the rules and a quick read of the stromlo etiquette doesn't say anything about running on mtb trails...

Even if shared, that's a stupid place to run when bikes are hitting that at speed.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Are you allowed to trail run on the MTB trails at Stromlo? Had to call out to a runner on Old Duffy Descent that I was coming through and then told her loudly it was not for running as I went past.. Now I'm not so sure of the rules and a quick read of the stromlo etiquette doesn't say anything about running on mtb trails...

Even if shared, that's a stupid place to run when bikes are hitting that at speed.
No fireroads only

MrLazy

Likes Bikes
Thanks, thought it was the case, but second-guessed after telling someone off :)
I hadnt even thought about it at stromlo either tbh - Ive never encountered one there. Pretty silly spot to be doing it

Every now and then theres some doing it at Bruce Ridge which doesnt phase me cause its a lot slower and pretty good visibility everywhere - as long as theyre paying attention

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

There has been plenty of stupid cunts on trails here again. I gave one guy a serve last week - fat man "running" with dog off leash on down hill bike specific trail in a park where dogs are prohibited. He just looked at me like I spoke a language he didn't understand, but he clearly did. What a fucking stupid arsehole! Lots of people doing it at the moment, and it is mostly women. Women walking in groups. For fuck's sake it dangerous.

Partly the park authority's fault. They have a huge sign at the fare with a bike trail map on it that could benefit from a nice clear "don't walk/run on bike tracks". It probably didn't seem necessary when making the sign because Australia is filled with fat lazy arseholes that fear walking from house to car. I might make a sign myself.

Instead the park is filled with stupid cunts that can't read a map anyway thinking they can have easy access to the beach...the map is pretty clear...no easy beach access available!!