Serrata track bantry bay

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't reckon Gahnia is that much more technical than Serrata except for the initial rock chute. Gahnia has a few more technical climbs/step-ups but Serrata has tricky downhill switchbacks.

Both tracks are brilliant, though pretty much right on the limit of what I'll ride.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I don't reckon Gahnia is that much more technical than Serrata except for the initial rock chute. Gahnia has a few more technical climbs/step-ups but Serrata has tricky downhill switchbacks.

Both tracks are brilliant, though pretty much right on the limit of what I'll ride.
I found the serrata switchbacks fine, but the Ghania filter/chute and rock garden sections more of a challenge. I'm still getting used to clipless so maybe that's why.

moobs

Squid
Rode Gahnia for the first time today. Awesome trail with some really cool features. Super technical in places but not too bad - you can hit most sections with speed and confidence that there are no nasties on the other side. Love the big rock roll offs. No wonder it took so long to build!

If this trail and serrata are the result of co-operation and mutual trust between bikers and the NPWS then this has to be good justification for staying off the illegal trails in the NP. I personally have stopped riding them, and so have my mates. If we can stay on the good side of the NPWS then more official, professionally designed and constructed trails may be built in the future. If not then we won't see any more of this calibre of trail being built.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Is it a optical illusions of the go-pro or are the trees really close through there ?
A few of us are about to start consultation meetings with the royal national park ,
ably led by Crofty. ...... so this track will hopefully serve as a benchmark for us.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Trees are close and it's pretty tight in places. I clipped a tree with 720mm bars and face planted - was slow so more embarrassing than painful.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
OK. ... so I guess with 750's there's going to be. ...:Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry:
maybe a full face helmet for my first try. .....:pound:
or bubble wrap. .....

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Put the volume up, on his great video and the Go Pro takes a few whacks.

Looks like a top track.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Rode both 2 days ago... About 22km when included with a lap of the Dam...

Both are quite technical, I think Serrata is heaps easier, didn't ride the big drop on Ghania the first time, but rode the whole of Serrata... There are some tight sections on Ghania and only one rock with a drop surprised me (people are forming B lines off it already...). Well worth a ride, especially when included in a lap of the Dam...

stickso

Likes Dirt
Interested to know how everyone is getting from Serrata over to Gahnia? I think I found the "worst shortcut ever" mentioned earlier in the thread on the way to Serrata, but on the way back we tried finding another way and ended up around the backstreets of Forestville.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
Rode both 2 days ago... About 22km when included with a lap of the Dam...

Both are quite technical, I think Serrata is heaps easier, didn't ride the big drop on Ghania the first time, but rode the whole of Serrata... There are some tight sections on Ghania and only one rock with a drop surprised me (people are forming B lines off it already...). Well worth a ride, especially when included in a lap of the Dam...
Please dont ride the B line or chicken way as it rather should be called. The drop is a pretty easy roll down or a roll down with a drop or a drop or a walk down for some but its pretty clear that there is NO way around it. Its actually way easier than the initial rock chutes at the beginning so just give it a go.

Its an awesome track and I find it on the same scale as Seratta, difficulty wise. All is rideable, so take it easy, drop your posts and off you go. Its a pretty exhausting track I find but that makes it even more fun. Riding it multiple times is also very doable as the fireroad back to the trail head is pretty much flat and gives you the chance to refuel your energy levels.

I'll ride it again tomorrow morning, feel free to drop me a line if you want to have a go at stuff your are not comfortable with. I'm happy to ride with you and give tips on how to tackle some of the gnarly stuff. But really, just give it a go, its easier as it looks and all features can be rolled down.

Love this thing and it will get even better when the trail is ready that links the two. Both are built extremely well and I'm very grateful that we now have something like this in the neighbourhood.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I`m liking the looks of both of these . These day`s i only have cross country race bikes . Are these tracks rideable on them ?

stickso

Likes Dirt
I`m liking the looks of both of these . These day`s i only have cross country race bikes . Are these tracks rideable on them ?
If you mean a 29er hardtail it might be a bit awkward but should be rideable. I did both tracks on a 27.5 Anthem with 120mm fork and my mate has an old 4" Trance and he rode all of it.

The Dam would be more suitable for XC race bikes IMHO.