Serrata track bantry bay

jrewing

Eats Squid
Can't wait to do both. Glad I work 10 mins away

Edit- serrata is so much fun, plus all the sneaky runs around the two trails

Last edited:

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Anyone got a report on the status of the trails since the rain over the weekend?

Be interested to know with all the rock guarding how well they hold up to what was a pretty solid day of rain.

Chris

Bantry Bay Trails Update

Rode both late this arvo and both are in top shape didn't seem any different to when I rode them on Saturday morning.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Got to ride Gahnia again this afternoon without the +2 I had last time, wayyy more fun when your not stopping and starting. Ran a 12min flat time for the segment so pretty happy with that. Had a close look again and am still left wondering where everyone is having troubles with wider bars, serrata on the flat section seems tighter than Gahnia.
Trail looks to be bedding in well and no noticeable problems from the recent rain.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Yeah had more probs with serrata. You go fast and these thin trees are invisible then whack on the front lever.

Ghania needs a couple of the tiny rocky berms built up, so you can carry some more speed to flow through some sections.
Rode a slow lap today and there are some trees being barked at bar height..

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Yeah had more probs with serrata. You go fast and these thin trees are invisible then whack on the front lever.

Good trail builders take a walk through and notice these things and adjust accordingly. Not saying they are gonna happen.

I gotta get up there for a ride.

Honzo15

Likes Dirt
You guys are not complaining about trees are you? We ride mountain bikes not road bikes, bikes that are intented to be ridden in natural environments. Gahnia doesnt have any trees ON the track so to speak and its the nature of mountain biking that you have to ride around and over natural obstacles. It's really a shame that people are screaming for manicured trails these days. Flow is created by the way YOU ride your bike and not just by trail builders. The builders give you the canvas to paint on but its up to you what picture you paint. Both of these trails have a huge amount of flow built in for your convenience but you have to find it first. It doesnt come delivered to your door stop and thats exactly what a good trail is about.

jrewing

Eats Squid
You guys are not complaining about trees are you? We ride mountain bikes not road bikes, bikes that are intented to be ridden in natural environments. Gahnia doesnt have any trees ON the track so to speak and its the nature of mountain biking that you have to ride around and over natural obstacles. It's really a shame that people are screaming for manicured trails these days. Flow is created by the way YOU ride your bike and not just by trail builders. The builders give you the canvas to paint on but its up to you what picture you paint. Both of these trails have a huge amount of flow built in for your convenience but you have to find it first. It doesnt come delivered to your door stop and thats exactly what a good trail is about.
What a load of shit the last few paragraphs are...

mtb1611

Seymour
Few mates and I were discussing these trails post-ride today. Given that we all live in the Camden area we're looking to sort a Bantry/Serrata/Manly Dam ride so as to make the trip worthwhile. Any local knowledge suggestions as to where we could park, commence the ride, order of venues, yada yada?

stickso

Likes Dirt
Few mates and I were discussing these trails post-ride today. Given that we all live in the Camden area we're looking to sort a Bantry/Serrata/Manly Dam ride so as to make the trip worthwhile. Any local knowledge suggestions as to where we could park, commence the ride, order of venues, yada yada?
If you park at the Manly Dam entrance on the Wakehurst Parkway you'll be fairly central to all 3. Pedal over to Serrata first (you can work out how with google maps and info from this thread), then Gahnia, then the Dam.

Gahnia doesn't give you much chance to recover so best to not leave that till last - it's much better with fresher legs.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone picked up a Lezyne Alloy pump on the weekend either on Gahnia or Serrata (had a stack on both :/ ) let me know.

mtb1611

Seymour
If you park at the Manly Dam entrance on the Wakehurst Parkway you'll be fairly central to all 3. Pedal over to Serrata first (you can work out how with google maps and info from this thread), then Gahnia, then the Dam.

Gahnia doesn't give you much chance to recover so best to not leave that till last - it's much better with fresher legs.
Thanks stickso, much appreciated.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Where is the best place to park ? Is it Wakehurst Parkway that I need to get to ? I`m coming up from the gong and would like to do both Ghania and Serrata and Manly dam as well .

Oh I should have read the above !

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
First ride of Serrata / Ghania / Manly Dam and other trails up that way for me . Didn`t mind Serrata kinda reminded me of a lot of runs at Appin . Absolutely loved Ghania . I followed my riding buddy down but he slowed down too much at the first drop so had to unclip go back and run it again . I guess I just loved its technicality . Daisy Duke climb was good . Manly Dam was OK great in a few sections but otherwise not real impressed . The tracks back really impressed me The Bewildered Possum , The mistress Run the Gauntlet and others . Overall 35 km of riding .