Servicing a Monarch

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Oooh eeerr mrs No im not talking about give the queen a large portion but taking my Rock Shox Monarch 4.1 to pieces and replacing all the seals. Ive studied the video on youtube and it looks pretty easy. Ive also got all the tools i need...except...they mention an adaptor that you need to screw in so you can pump up the nitrogen chamber again.

Now the thing is the thing they have on the video looks alot like an adapter i have to pump up a 2002 marzoch marathon. Does anybody know if this will fit? Is it a standard size and pitch?

If not where the hell do i get this bit as ill probably be servicing this shock alot..... its a tad unreliable and leaks air all the time. Even after shop servicing.

Anybody else have monarch problems?

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You planning on doing an air sleeve service or full damper service?

If damper service, yeah, you can get monarch air valves from the supplier. i tried all the old adaptors i had lying around that looked like they would work, but they didnt.

If air service, you wont need one.

That said, if its a 4.x monarch, all you;ll need to do to fix an air leak is most likely change the swivel valve to a new one.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hey all,

About to do an air sleeve service for my Monarch High volume.

I have all the tools and the kit but apparently I need to use Parker O-ring lube for the seals?? Would motor oil work in a similar fashion?

Cheers.
Is it O lube or super O lube that's required. Former is a straight petro based, later silicone based.

Both however are a) greases and b) formulated to be compatible with the chemistry of the rubber used in the o ring. Unlike motor oil (and even then "oils aint oils Sol").

Last edited:

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Is it O lube or super O lube that's required. Former is a straight petro based, later silicone based.

Both however are a) greases and b) formulated to be compatible with the chemistry of the rubber used in the o ring. Unlike motor oil (and even then "oils aint oils Sol").
Hey, O lube apparently according to SRAM. I contacted a LBS and they said they would give me some of what they use.

Cheers mate.