servicing monster t fork

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Hi guys, have a monster t fork from 1998 that I wish to change the oil in. My phone fails to download pdf's so if anyone could tell me the method and oil levels that would be pretty cool, thanks guys

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Undo fork and drain into container...measure how much comes out. Put that much back in, adding a little extra for oil lost in transfers. Do fork back up. If your real fussy have something warm the forks to increase fluidity of the oil and thus retrieve more...

will2

Likes Dirt
Undo fork and drain into container...measure how much comes out. Put that much back in, adding a little extra for oil lost in transfers. Do fork back up. If your real fussy have something warm the forks to increase fluidity of the oil and thus retrieve more...
Were you looking for viscosity? You're welcome.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Fuck , it's been a while

Hi guys, have a monster t fork from 1998 that I wish to change the oil in. My phone fails to download pdf's so if anyone could tell me the method and oil levels that would be pretty cool, thanks guys
For some reason Ive got 125 and 150 in my head.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-5742.html bit of stuff there, fairly basic though.

Is it a resto/vintage bike, or you going to use the old jalopies?
Going to build an old style but fully usable downhiller to ride on a regular basis once I get a frame that takes 150mm rear wheel, total budget build. I'm a shit rider so I don't notice much difference in old or new bikes, old bikes look much cooler though

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
To easy, I assume from the top.

will2

Likes Dirt
This build sounds cool. Are you looking at an old frame as well? Or just going with the best deal, do a PYR if you want; should get some reception.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
I haven't had Monster Ts for years but that's how I always did it, I've still got some 2002 Marzocchi Z1s on my old hard tail that I service using (almost)the same method.

BTW I've still got a stanchion for a monster t if you ever need it.
Thanks mate, what sort of money would you be looking at for the stanchion, I presume I should build a stash of parts for the future.

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
This build sounds cool. Are you looking at an old frame as well? Or just going with the best deal, do a PYR if you want; should get some reception.
Working on a tight budget but couldn't bring myself to stick it on a modern frame, neither would do each other justice. Had a couple of offers but seemed to lose communication. Hopefully I will find something pre 2000 maybe bit newer at a sensible price. This would be perfect but about 300 to dear for me ( sad ) $_20.JPGp3pb7828052.jpg this would be super cool

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Were you looking for viscosity? You're welcome.
Ummmm...no, no I wasn't.

Going to build an old style but fully usable downhiller to ride on a regular basis once I get a frame that takes 150mm rear wheel, total budget build. I'm a shit rider so I don't notice much difference in old or new bikes, old bikes look much cooler though
What's the budget if the $300 khs is too much?

Straight from marzocchi: http://www.marzocchi.com/system2/18166/MonsterT_900493.pdf

100mm from the top. Stock oil always used to be 7.5wt
I had monsters a long time ago. I upped the oil weight to get a better range of dampening out of them. Can't remember what to though. 9 comes to mind but its just a guess. You can also put quite a bit of additional preload on top of the springs.

omac

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, what sort of money would you be looking at for the stanchion, I presume I should build a stash of parts for the future.
I think it has a very small minor scratch but I was new to the sport (in 1999) & paranoid about it. I remember the new stanchion cost $400. When I get the chance I'll take a pic of the scratch to see if you still want it, I'd probably only want $50 plus post, its been sitting in the shed for 15 years.

My 99 Norco VPS with Monster Ts
matts phone 2 577.jpg

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
Ummmm...no, no I wasn't.

What's the budget if the $300 khs is too much?
The Khs is 400 but I don't need the fork and wheels, I would love the frame seperate though. Realistically I am hoping to find a frame pre 2003 with shock for round 150, nothing flash as I am going to repaint and such.
Does anyone know what kind of cannondale that picture is of, I presume it has some age to it, big price to I suppose

limeyfingers

Likes Dirt
I think it has a very small minor scratch but I was new to the sport (in 1999) & paranoid about it. I remember the new stanchion cost $400. When I get the chance I'll take a pic of the scratch to see if you still want it, I'd probably only want $50 plus post, its been sitting in the shed for 15 years.

My 99 Norco VPS with Monster Ts
View attachment 313972
Sweet as mate, nice old norco by the way

tomac204airshift

Likes Bikes
downhill rideing for oil i use 20 wight around 600 m try get anti buble oil , it help alot for monster t fork and for super monster t fork 1.1 L of oil you want buy a super monster t fork or other monster t fork i have 4 sets .
or need any ti spring for them i have alots,
get https://www.diymtb.com.au/ seals . they wriper seal alot better then stock. able lucky to have alot stock seal kits. so i mix them with Enduro Fork Seals - Marzocchi 40mm kit .

all the best