Setting your bike up for SuperD?

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm just interested in what you guys do when setting up for a SuperD event, if any at all?

I mainly just go: Bigger bag tires, lower the seat, pro-pedal off, shorter stem and wider bars (from the 4X bike)

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
I'm just interested in what you guys do when setting up for a SuperD event, if any at all?

I mainly just go: Bigger bag tires, lower the seat, pro-pedal off, shorter stem and wider bars (from the 4X bike)
not done any Super D racing but i imagine a dropper post would be a good idea

Adam

...G...

Likes Bikes
In the ones that I've been to in Canberra, the riders that have tended to do well have been the XC riders and the races seem to be won on the climbs.

So, while it will depend on the course, it seems to me that a XC or trail bike with clipless pedals would generally be best. Fast rolling tyres and a dropper seat post would also help.

big dan

Likes Dirt
We just had a gravity enduro up here. Most guys ran mid travel bikes with drop posts and bigger bag tyres. There was still a lot of pedalling so xc bikes were still pretty good, especially with wide bar/short stem and good tryes.

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not done any Super D racing but i imagine a dropper post would be a good idea

Adam
Would love one! Alas, I'm too poor for one right now :p Would be great for all my riding, as I go quite hard onthe downhils, having come to AM from DH, not XC like others.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
for the bike buller brakeburner, I ran fatter tyres [2.35 nevegals up from 2.25 ardents] but either would have done fine. Also dropped the seat about 3/4 inch from normal and left it there. A little more descending room but also enough to sit on and pedal if need be. Found myself out of the saddle for most climbs anyway.

I guess look at the trails, decide how you'd 'normally' ride them and work out if any little changes would help you go faster :)

as ...G... said, climbs are key. It takes a lot of speed and usually sketchy lines to overtake using downhill speed if you've lost a lot of time climbing...

end ramble, have fun!

floody

Wheel size expert
Dual ply tyres the major one for our races, but then the local Super-D here isn't an XC race like Buller.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
i wanst really going to do much...just running 2.35s already and have a dropper post..was just going to armour up with knees and elbows. Would armouring up be worth it?

cluster

Likes Dirt
i wanst really going to do much...just running 2.35s already and have a dropper post..was just going to armour up with knees and elbows. Would armouring up be worth it?
only if you plan on crashing. =P
PS: full on 8" DH rig with the seat all the way up, it's the only way to go:pirate: