Shed workbench designs

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
And some insulation - unless you like drinking warm red @Lazmo!
Ha ha... I agree, say no to warm red.

The sheds east wall gets 100% shade in the morning, and the roof gets good amounts of morning shade too. It has also got very snazzy roof insulation and one of those whirlybirds, and although the hottest day we've had since it was built, was only 34 degrees, it was really quite good in there.

But, yeah, if it turns out to be unbearable, I'll add wall insulation, but so far it seems better than I was expecting it to be.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Well, the racks and shadow boards are in... and one bench, with an offset vice.

The best thing is that while moving stuff in from the storage joint, I found my beloved NAD 3020 amp and my long passed Dad's AR18 speakers. Dug up a bluetooth interface to suit and voila... real music in the shed, and it sounds sweet. Just can't really crank it, as the the whole place rattles like a mofo, if I do.

Excellent.

Shed racks.jpeg

shed bench 1.jpeg

link1896

Mr Greenfield

The best thing is that while moving stuff in from the storage joint, I found my beloved NAD 3020 amp and my long passed Dad's AR18 speakers. Dug up a bluetooth interface to suit and voila... real music in the shed, and it sounds sweet. Just can't really crank it, as the the whole place rattles like a mofo, if I do.

Excellent.

View attachment 398329

View attachment 398330
That’s awesome.

Sealed floor makes the world of difference. I hate raw concrete and raw brickwork. Spaces end up so god damned dusty.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Excellent.

View attachment 398329

View attachment 398330
Have you checked the age of your bench grinder wheels lately??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Have you checked the age of your bench grinder wheels lately??????????????????????????????????????????????????
Ha ha... no need to check the age, the right wheel is as old as the grinder when I brought it new... 25 years maybe. I assume they explode then? I've never even thought about it, but I'm happy to replace it, if need be.

The left wheel is in fact a wire brush, which is the single most besterous thing ever.

Any particular brand of grinding wheel I should look out for?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Ha ha... no need to check the age, the right wheel is as old as the grinder when I brought it new... 25 years maybe. I assume they explode then? I've never even thought about it, but I'm happy to replace it, if need be.

The left wheel is in fact a wire brush, which is the single most besterous thing ever.

The wheel is likely fine. As long as it hasn't been damaged by misuse or accidental impact, it should be in a useable condition.
Depends on the type of bonding used when the wheel was manufactured:
https://uama.org/shelf-life/
Plenty of other online references saying the same thing.

The ~10 year shelf life (PFERD) on vitrified bonded wheels appears to be more of a regulatory requirement whereas the real world science says the shelf life is practically indefinite.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

The wheel is likely fine. As long as it hasn't been damaged by misuse or accidental impact, it should be in a useable condition.
Depends on the type of bonding used when the wheel was manufactured:
https://uama.org/shelf-life/
Plenty of other online references saying the same thing.

The ~10 year shelf life (PFERD) on vitrified bonded wheels appears to be more of a regulatory requirement whereas the real world science says the shelf life is practically indefinite.
While @dazz may be right plenty of suppliers list a usable life of 6 years. I had exactly the same situation a few months ago. Since buying the belt grinder I hadn't used the bench grinder so put a polishing pad on one side, the other was a fine wheel for touching up tooling. It was 20 years old maybe. Having seen the effects years ago on a fitter of a wheel exploding that and the coarse wheel went into the bin. Not worth the risk. Think of how your wife would clean the blood off that lovely shed!

dazz

Downhill Dazz
While @dazz may be right plenty of suppliers list a usable life of 6 years. I had exactly the same situation a few months ago. Since buying the belt grinder I hadn't used the bench grinder so put a polishing pad on one side, the other was a fine wheel for touching up tooling. It was 20 years old maybe. Having seen the effects years ago on a fitter of a wheel exploding that and the coarse wheel went into the bin. Not worth the risk. Think of how your wife would clean the blood off that lovely shed!
Fair enough. Either way, always try to avoid standing directly in front of spinning grinding wheel. I'm conscious of this, especially if grinding something heavy or awkward. Better for a piece of wheel to hit your arm/shoulder than chest/head. Even a brand new wheel can explode if shit goes bad, a moment of complacency can change your life if luck isn't on your side. Much like driving a car, really.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Hey @Lazmo, what's the floor size of your new shed? It looks great.
4.58m wide x 5.3m deep

I had to reduce the width, down from 5m, due to overshadowing.

And yep, I'm loving it.

So glad we did a skillion roof with eaves, and the horizontal Deep Ocean colorbond, it looks ace.

And it fits in the (quite small) area nicely. Doesn't overcrowd the deck / pool area. Not that there is a pool there now, though we still have the pool fence, but plans are afoot.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
… I hadn't used the bench grinder so put a polishing pad on one side, the other was a fine wheel for touching up tooling. It was 20 years old maybe. Having seen the effects years ago on a fitter of a wheel exploding that and the coarse wheel went into the bin.
Ha ha, in today’s load from elstoragespace… I found the original unused course wheel, which I’d removed and replaced with a wire brush.

I think time for a new wire brush and fine wheel.

Today I opened up all the plastic tubs which had random stuff thrown in from our old place… and sorted and labeled the tubs… Fasteners, Electronics, Music, MTB, General Tools, Welding, etc.

Nice…

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Great vices and Aussie made.

Record and Dawn are up there with the best available.

I wanted a small 100mm one for the side of my bench for small metal cutting jobs, would have liked a Dawn or Record, ended up with a Bunnings special :confused:
I have made to my late forties and never owned a vice. A terrible outcome, and feels like I can justify buying a nice one! Just wondering though if these tricky ones that have all the jaw options are good or just troublesome?

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Great vices and Aussie made.

Record and Dawn are up there with the best available.

I wanted a small 100mm one for the side of my bench for small metal cutting jobs, would have liked a Dawn or Record, ended up with a Bunnings special :confused:
I agree with ozzy but if supporting AU is of no concern to you, here's another option that comes with a set of brake jaws and has quick release for the movable jaw:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/k230

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I agree with ozzy but if supporting AU is of no concern to you, here's another option that comes with a set of brake jaws and has quick release for the movable jaw:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/k230
Thats a nifty idea. I think ill get the Dawn though as a "only one ill need to buy" purchase.

I'll give the multi jaw one a whirl, have only used the normal ones but i can see the value in these.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Garage sale - in Hobart there are lots of older gents who are ‘ moving on ‘ , scope out a sale on a Sat morning and pick up ‘shed treasure ‘
Sandy Bay has plenty of old boys being pushed out by hipsters .

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My old man loves a garage sale, I’ve carried a vice and bench grinder that he found for me between two houses and never installed or used them. Really should set them up

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My old man loves a garage sale, I’ve carried a vice and bench grinder that he found for me between two houses and never installed or used them. Really should set them up
Not trying to go one better but my old Porsche was inherited 3 houses ago and been moved each time, only added the Bunnings special a few weeks ago as old 911 turbo doesn't grip bolts too well. Haven't used new Bunnings yet apart from tapping shock hardware in on the flat surface. It was $39 vs $249 but you have to draw the line somewhere.

20230420_180243.jpg