Shimano 12sp chain length

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have tried and the shifting was off (slow downshifts due to not enough b-screw).
Others on here have tried and claim it is acceptable (@DMan?)
Basically, the quality depends on chainstay length and dropout design.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Haha, no. The picture was mega-confusing given the context of his post. The idea is to align the guide mark with the very tips of the teeth. They generally shift pretty poorly if this is wrong (in my limited experience).
Lol. Mine is aligned as you've said. I was a bit worried after his piccie :D. No offense @ozzybmx !

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have tried and the shifting was off (slow downshifts due to not enough b-screw).
Others on here have tried and claim it is acceptable (@DMan?)
Basically, the quality depends on chainstay length and dropout design.
I can't say unfortunately. I had a 45T as a spare, but I never fitted it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Lol. Mine is aligned as you've said. I was a bit worried after his piccie :D. No offense @ozzybmx !
None taken, it was the only clear picture I could find online that showed the line with the 2 pointers.

I actually took it for granted you would have know it was meant to touch the line ;)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Dont worry about it. A few years ago, the bloke that won the UK's National Hill Climb title lived 50 miles away from anything considered a hill. All his training was commuting at megawatt pace.
So far, so good. Real test is at the end of April.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Hence all the noob questions. The race is on to get this bike sorted and settled.
Yoinker is doing either 12 solo or 6 solo. He'll tell me his issues the day before.

#2 son and I will either do 12 duo or 6hr duo... I'll be up Saturday regardless for a poke around and chat.

You'll not be feeling like talking too much on Sunday morning :p

moorey

call me Mia
Just an idea, If you were to go 10-46t 12spd XT cassette with a 34t for local duties where you didnt need the big 51t, you might get away with running the 28t and 10-51t for events and keep the chains the same length. It would mean changing cassette and chainring :rolleyes:

Also adjust the b-screw and line up with the derailleur gap adjustment mark, I find it really helps to keep your shifting crisp. This cant be achieved with a chain thats too long or too short, you will run out of screw adjustment.

View attachment 387724
This was also my thought.
Though changing chains is easier.
Or, complete spare wheel wheel is more my MO.
Or, even better, complete spare bike.