Shimano 12sp chain length

moorey

call me Mia
I've just had a NBD. Mrs George will file for divorce if I have another so soon
New wife time. You don’t need that sort of negativity in your life.
Seriously though, the 36t is mainly for these flat gravel rides? You don’t have (or can’t smash together) a beater bike for that instead of wearing out the new Uberbike?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
New wife time. You don’t need that sort of negativity in your life.
Seriously though, the 36t is mainly for these flat gravel rides? You don’t have (or can’t smash together) a beater bike for that instead of wearing out the new Uberbike?
Geez man, now you're sounding like my wife.

I can, but time/family/finances have conspired against me. I wasn't planning on spending $3.5k to get said Uberbike, and the boys have collectively cost me $2k in new bikes because they refuse to stop growing. That's half my annual bike budget gone since December, and that's before we start going to away races, which also comes out of the bike budget.

#firstworldproblems

moorey

call me Mia
Geez man, now you're sounding like my wife.

I can, but time/family/finances have conspired against me. I wasn't planning on spending $3.5k to get said Uberbike, and the boys have collectively cost me $2k in new bikes because they refuse to stop growing. That's half my annual bike budget gone since December, and that's before we start going to away races, which also comes out of the bike budget.

#firstworldproblems
We share bike budgets.....though I think yours appears healthier than mine. Can relate with the kids, but fortunately the wife supports their passion, i have to fend for myself. Surely you can capitalise on the growing kids and pick up the scraps? That's how i survive mainly. Point out to her that you're actually SAVING her money using a second bike with cheaper replacement parts, rather than wearing out your weight weenie race parts.

Cardy George

We share bike budgets.....though I think yours appears healthier than mine. Can relate with the kids, but fortunately the wife supports their passion, i have to fend for myself. Surely you can capitalise on the growing kids and pick up the scraps? That's how i survive mainly. Point out to her that you're actually SAVING her money using a second bike with cheaper replacement parts, rather than wearing out your weight weenie race parts.
I bought the Turner for exactly that purpose when I cracked the first Procaliber, then life happened. Mrs George did point out that when we picked up the blue one.

I'm in the fortunate position of having my main job pay the weekly expenses and a side hustle that solely supplies the funds for wheel related expenses, either bike or car, and other unexpected disasters like water pumps dying. While it chips in for some stuff, it's not relied upon to prop up our weekly house budget. It is a bit seasonal, so I won't have as much to spare over the next couple of months. Mrs George 100% supports their passion, and 100% supports me paying for them :rolleyes:. So the saving her money doesn't come into it. And both the boys only have one Bank of Dad bike owing to them. If they want anything fancier they'll be old enough to pay for it themselves.

Definitely helps that I was riding wanky road bikes when I met Mrs George so she doesn't really expect anything less with the MTBs, and she sees value in buying the best we can reasonably justify for the boys.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Yup. Our house needs restumping before we can do anything to it. Last quote 3 years ago was $18k :oops:

Makes a $100 XTR chain look cheap
We're looking at getting our place underpinned on 2 corners, we were quoted $12k. Add to that needing the sewer replaced from house to main line as the old clay pipes are cracked and probably contributing to the movement of the foundations. We're hoping it'll cost less than $5k for that but who knows. We're waiting on a plumber to come and look to give us a quote.
I don't really want to look at the storm water, but it's clay pipe too.

I was hoping for NBD soon but that's not happening. Long story short - I feel your pain @Cardy George!

Cardy George

I've used Durace/XTR. They wore as quick and saved me grams I couldn't GAF about, so I'll never spend more than $50 on a 12x or $40 on 11x.
Especially on a bike I'm grinding out km's wearing out drivetrains.
Come back in 12 months and I'm highly likely to be running XT consumables with the XTR kept for the big events.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've used Durace/XTR. They wore as quick and saved me grams I couldn't GAF about, so I'll never spend more than $50 on a 12x or $40 on 11x.
Especially on a bike I'm grinding out km's wearing out drivetrains.
Look, I'm not a chain expert and have paid nearly zero attention to chain wear kilometres in the past.

Its a unanimous fact across all the 'many hours' of chain technology I have watched lately that X01 and XX1 chains are the longest lasting and best wearing chains available on the planet. They don't agree on much but they do agree on the top end SRAM MTB chain longevity.

The only downside if you were a pro or even cared is they are a quite slow chain.

The factory chain on my Spur was a SLX level, I got 1520km out of it at 0.75mm wear, which was quite low IMO.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Rookie numbers. We're on tank water, our 20yo one just rusted out and starting to leak. $23k to replace. Take THAT, mortgage that was looking reasonable!
$23K? Is this new tank 100,000L in size and made of unobtanium?