Shimano Bleeding

mitch_dmr

Likes Dirt
Hey all, i did a search but came up with an error. I want to bleed my Shimano Deore M525 my self. I have searched on google and through the site but did not come up with any relevant information.

What i want to know is, 1) What do i need to bleed my brake? and 2) How do i do it?

Cheers in advance, Only post if you know what you're talking about.

jungle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you can buy a shimano bleed kit that comes with
a small bottle of mineral oil, a short length of plastic hose
and a plastic bag to drain the bleed oil into to dispose of it
also comes with instructions
i think it normally retails around $30.00
last time i bought one

instructions should be on shimano europes website
not sure if it's on shimano australias website

it's really simple otherwise

hope this helps

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fit a small length of aquariam tubing to the bleed nipple ion the caliper. Put the loose end of the aquariam tubing into an empty bottle. undo the bleed nipple with the aquariam tubing attatched a half turn, or until you see a small amount of oil enter the tube. With fresh oil, undo the reservoir topcap (on the lever) take off the internal rubber diaphram, and begin pumping the lever. To prvent air bubles getting into the system, keep topping up the reservoir with fressh fluid as it is pumped out of the caliper and through the tubing, into the empty bottle. continue to do this until it is evident that all the old fluid has left the system. Dispose of the old oil thoughtfully. If you do happen to get air bubles in the system, merely keep pumping the lever (whilst filling up the reservoir with fresh fluid) until they are all pumped out of the aquariam tubring. Finally, close the bleed nipple until tight, fill the reservoir with oil until level, replace diaphram and reservoir cap and make sure everything is tight.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not quite Red Rocket, its a good way to introduce air into your system.

Firstly, rotate your lever so the resivour cap is horizontal.

Attach a length of hose to the bleed nipple, ensure it is a good fit, so you dont get leakage onto your pads. Clear is best also

Get a small open ended spanner the right size for the bleed nipple.

Open up the resivour cap using a small phillips head screw driver, make sure you dont loose the small washers, or damage the diapragm.

Open the bleed nipple with your open ended spanner and squeeze the brake lever.

While you still have the brake lever squeezed, close the bleed nipple.

Release the brake lever.

Repeat the last 3 steps whilst adding fresh oil to your resivour untill no air and no old fluid is comming out.

Once you are done with the bleed process, top your resivour up to the brim, and while holding a rag under the lever to catch any spillage, place the diagram on.

Put the resivour cap back on and remove the hose, being carefull about any spillage from that.

Things to note:

Dont over tighten the bleed nipple ever, its a pretty delicate threded cone, if you over tighten it, you can munt the thread or even worse snap the head off.

Motul mineral oil is a hell of a lot cheaper than shimano fluid, and its recomended by Motul for shimano and magura brakes.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
shmity said:
Not quite Red Rocket, its a good way to introduce air into your system.

While you still have the brake lever squeezed, close the bleed nipple.

Wow you learn something everyday. Its strange, I have bled brakes (Dice, Hope, BR-M525's etc etc) more times than I can remember with the method I described and never had a problem. Always ended up with a nice firm lever feel, and no problems in the long run. However now that you mention it, it makes sense to do so.

mitch_dmr

Likes Dirt
Just had a go at bleeding my brakes. I obviously didnt do it properly and now they are worse than they were before. :( I did exactly as wat shimty said. Any tips for next time?

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mitch_dmr said:
Just had a go at bleeding my brakes. I obviously didnt do it properly and now they are worse than they were before. :( I did exactly as wat shimty said. Any tips for next time?
Try taking the brake off the bike and putting a spacer in the caliper in place of the rotor and two pads. Then orientate it so that the lever is the highest point and the caliper is the lowest point. Make sure there are no kinks in the hose. This will make sure there is no where air can get trapped. Every few full lever depressions stop and flick the brake line with your finger to make sure any small air bubbles are disloged.
Also did you make sure there was always oil in the resivour not just adding it when the last little bit got sucked out? It is important you make sure there is no way air can get sucked into the line through the lever.

tu plang

knob
i bleed shimano brakes up. if you can source a bit syringe and some tubing, connect syring to tubing, fill with fluid, connect to bleed nipple.

undo the screws on the lever cap but you can leave the cap on, as long as it can unseal. now you need to a) make sure the resevoir is parralel to the ground and b) have some sort of apparatus to catch the fluid. open the nipple and pump the fluid up the system watching for bubbles at the resevoir. once you see a constant flow of fluid with no bubbles close the nipple and test the brake.

if it feels good tighten the lever cap bolts and clean up the lever. to adjust the lever throw open the nipple and force additional fluid into the system, being careful as this is a good way to spill fluid (if the hose pops off the nipple).

sounds messy but once you've done it a few times it gives a good bleed.