Shimano Brake Fittings Leaking

Litenbror

Eats Squid
the olive will distort the end of the hose enough to give a nice firm feeling that the hose is snug in its home, but without the barbed insert it is unlikely to seal up correctly for any length of time..
for the sake of the exercise, just whip it out of both the caliper and lever and redo it, that way you can be sure it has been done correctly
90% of LBS mechanics are either muppets or teenagers or both
Adding teenager was superfluous I think we all assume it from Muppet.

T-Rex

Template denier
Scary shit. You could imagine the hose blowing out of the nut in a panic stop. I retract my suggestion that @AaronM takes it for a spin. Best to get it looked at by someone other than a resident of Sesame Street. I recommend @Litenbror ‘s services. He works for beer.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If there was a major problem the hose would be still leaking, no amount of re tightening is going to fix an over crushed olive with no barb in it.

_______

Is an alien from 2007
fwiw old (rim) magura hoses were sealed with olives and no barbs, the olive cuts into the hose more than enough to fix it in place, and the hose is plenty stiff for rim brake pressure: it totally "works" (i.e. looks like it does) in shimano calipers/levers too.

as a possibly irrelevant aside there are actually two shimano barbs, one is much less ridgy for the posh hose (which is stiffer): these sometimes get squeezed out the end of the hose by the compressing olive in the BH-59 normo-tube. I think the barbs you want are gold, the other ones silver (but check the docs, they change over time).

also: seen plenty of non-shimano barbs (that are 1-2mm fatter and cause the olive to munt itsself on metal), which leak plenty.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's actually two ID sizes in shimano barbs and possibly even more these days but there's many applications on nylon hose where an olive is used without a barb, I'll doubt it will release the hose in one go, not a bad idea to check what's been done in there if the leak persists, The possibilities of the types of fuck ups are huge like crossed thread, barb not hit in properly, incorrect parts, foreign material on the clamping seats and Etc...

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Scary shit. You could imagine the hose blowing out of the nut in a panic stop. I retract my suggestion that @AaronM takes it for a spin. Best to get it looked at by someone other than a resident of Sesame Street. I recommend @Litenbror ‘s services. He works for beer.
Thankfully not my bike, my wife’s and because she’s not riding much waiting a few days for the bleed kit and new fittings to turn up won’t hurt.

If it was mine I’d be further working on overcapitalising my entry level frame with some 4-piston upgrade because ... um ... they exist and therefore I can and therefore why not? I mean removing the leak by removing the offending part is clearly the way to go?

I wouldn’t have thought One Less than 100 LBS did anything much during “assembly” given it’s an off-the-rack Merida Crossway not anything special built. Still my expectation after reading the Shimano manual was that if I took it back a muppet would crank up the fitting, push some fluid back up the system and send it out rather than try to work out why it leaked from day one.

If I get stuck it’s great to know that I can reach out here, @Litenbror I’ll have a go and if I end up a proving to be a fuckwit muppet I’ll make sure the beer is cold ....

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Thankfully not my bike, my wife’s and because she’s not riding much waiting a few days for the bleed kit and new fittings to turn up won’t hurt.
Be careful mate - there's nothing stopping the Life Insurance companies from checking your browser history after you put the claim in....

_______

Is an alien from 2007
I wouldn’t have thought One Less than 100 LBS did anything much during “assembly” given it’s an off-the-rack Merida Crossway not anything special built. Still my expectation after reading the Shimano manual was that if I took it back a muppet would crank up the fitting, push some fluid back up the system and send it out rather than try to work out why it leaked from day one.
all bikes come in boxes and are assembled in the shop to some extent, and some cheaper bikes require quite a bit of work (since smaller boxes=less freight cost eating your already slim margin). "off the rack" implies "display bike" to me, which sometimes means it was a saleschild, not a mechanic, who built it up. should still be checked in the workshop etc. of course, but it's sounding a bit "here we go..." oh and some brands/models only leave the factory in one format, guess which way round the brakes are and who has to swap them then...

In The Past (where I'm from) the merida hybrid production line in china was where the QC retards who specialized wanted sacked got sent, as far as I could tell.

I won't put it on here, but I'm happy to pass on your LBS's boss's email via PM if you want to vent/chase the various issues you've had (she does actually give a shit). Sounds like the shop is newish and going through the usual early years BS they all seem to have. Bondi Jn was like that until the original workshop manager left to be a dickhead elsewhere...

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the insight.
This was a fresh 2020 bike, ordered prior to release so was unboxed and assembled/prepped directly by the LBS. the store we used was the one on the North end of Canberra and the Sales experience was good, the team on the floor were good etc. my experience with the workshop on mine was average (but helpful) and the assembly of my Wife’s bike obviously not so great.

When I met with the bush full of bees the store in the center of Canberra from the same chain workshop helped me out quickly and I haven’t had an issue with their work on my bike. As I’ve said elsewhere though I’m also realising that if I didn’t step up my bike mechanic skills I’d go broke or end up having two bikes to deal with the downtime to get minor work done.

I do consider this issue minor, it’s an annoyance but also an opportunity for me to learn. We will be using the center of Canberra store for a basic checkup service once we are through Christmas, if I haven’t got the brake sorted 100% I’m more than happy to have them address it then.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
. I think the barbs you want are gold, the other ones silver (but
gold for xt,slx usually with banjo fittings, silver for deore & lower with no banjo..silver is slightly smaller,2.1mm as opposed to 2.3 for gold both go in 5mm hose—so olives are identical

Last edited:

_______

Is an alien from 2007
in some fields "intention to treat" is considered as good a metric as "obtained treatment" for long term outcomes. Even if it stays in the packet it speaks highly of his understanding of the task and considerations ;)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
there is alot of shit bike shops in Canberra, most just targeting cashed up public servants with NFI!
find a good one, get to know the mechanic, and learn most of what you need so you can DIY..

AaronM

Likes Dirt
Jimmy sounds like he’s a barista not a bike mechanic?

Yeah the silly little spacer block is $2 or something. I was tempted to make my own, or completely ignore for the moment and just get fluid in and see if I can get some pressure first before getting down to “proper”.

That way I can screw up the pads and post in the fuckwit thread again for having the right tool but ignoring it and definitely contaminating probably contaminated pads because I didn’t use the tool.

Sounds like a plan ;)