shimano brake/shifter incompatability

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Hoping someone can help me out with something. I'm building up a new bike and have bought a XT M8000 shifter (band clamp) and SLX M7100 brakes. In putting it all together I've found that the brakes have a but that protrudes and rests against the bars. This is preventing me getting the shifter anywhere near where it needs to be. Some research on the net seems to indicate that I need to use an I spec shifter. Is this right? Are these brakes I spec only?

If so, it appears that the M7100 brakes are for I spec ev, but the only 11 sp shifters I can find are I spec II. Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Maybe see if you can put the shifter on the other side of the brake lever. Might work depending on your hand side and preference.

Otherwise you'll best be getting the Ispec Evo unfortunately.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i just helped a guy with a broken slx lever, it had a small oblong groove which took a small screw so he could fit a dropper lever, can you screw the shifter into the same place i’m wondering

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Thanks everyone, looks like I should have cut out the middleman and gone straight to the fuckwits thread. The band clamp fits from the shifter between the brake clamp and the bit that sticks out. All I had to do was put it in place off the bar and slide it all on together.
Good to know though that I can get ispec 2 to work with the brakes though. That might well be the path I end up going if I don't like the position of the shifter as the arrangement I have now has next to no adjustment.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Thanks everyone, looks like I should have cut out the middleman and gone straight to the fuckwits thread. The band clamp fits from the shifter between the brake clamp and the bit that sticks out. All I had to do was put it in place off the bar and slide it all on together.
Good to know though that I can get ispec 2 to work with the brakes though. That might well be the path I end up going if I don't like the position of the shifter as the arrangement I have now has next to no adjustment.
Are you even a rotorburner if you haven't made an entry there?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I should have done it properly and bought a new shifter before realising my mistake. Then it would have truly been deserving of the fuckwits thread
Fair, that is borderline. Nothing broken, no big expenses.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk