Shimano FC-M522 Crank Pedal Drama

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
I have decided to get back on the bike..
But I've worked out why its tucked away deep in the shed.
Before storing it there was a episode where a pedal was either not tight enough or came loose.. pedal spindle ate the threads of the crank.
Never sorted this out and she has been stored since.
Meanwhile, FC-M522 175mm Octalink cranks don't seem to be made anymore (unless someone has one/wants to get rid of one).
Otherwise I think these can be helicoiled.. in theory I could do this myself but screwing it up isn't really an option.

Is this a routine task for a bike shop? I have been in strife before when bike shops have over committed and under delivered and generally I do my own stunts...

Any better ideas, recommendations or solutions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
Helicoil should be a standard repair at your LBS. some like to do it, others don't. I personally think they're great and last forever. Otherwise find a machine shop to do it for you.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I've had mixed results with helicoils; typically though the lower the talent of the rider, the more likely it is to fail.

M522 cranks are quite an old model & long ago discontinued, although Shimano do still have some Octalink models in the lower-mid range.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
I've had mixed results with helicoils; typically though the lower the talent of the rider, the more likely it is to fail.

M522 cranks are quite an old model & long ago discontinued, although Shimano do still have some Octalink models in the lower-mid range.
talent is at an all time low ha ha

similarly I've had mixed results with Helicoils in automotive circumstances and I'm reluctant to do this. If I could find a replacement crank I would rather put that one even if its more expensive.
I've been trying to use Shimano's website and others to find a replacement - I don't care if its a model change, just has to be 175mm, 10 speed, 50mm chainline and Octalink (ideally but again, I dont really care if this changes)
I'm not having a lot of luck/ their website doesnt seem to refer to modern replacements for legacy parts.. (unless I am being blind).
Any ideas? I would much prefer to just replace it.
I will ring a few bike shops to get spinning in the meantime. Happy to do parts on/off but the Helicoil is beyond me.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
I really need to up my facebook game.
I have messaged Graham to find out the part number (I have another set that look identical to those, but the chainline is not the same) - do you know Graham?
Either way, thank you and let's see what he comes back with.

moorey

call me Mia
I really need to up my facebook game.
I have messaged Graham to find out the part number (I have another set that look identical to those, but the chainline is not the same) - do you know Graham?
Either way, thank you and let's see what he comes back with.
Don’t know him.
You sure? They all predate boost etc. Easy to alter chain line with BB spacers.
It was more about the optional axle length on old cranks. Those on your BB will be same as you have.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Ok, Grahams crank is a FC-M540.
It is a 9 speed crank, the original is 10 speed.
I'm not sure what the chainline information means other than it is different between the two.
I'm not sure this will fit?
I may even have one of these in the shed. I bought a second hand crank but couldn't use it because the chainline was too off to get the triple to work? (even with spacers.. it ran out of space to space it i.e. too many spacers?)
(will toddle off and have a look at that now)

Compatibility information here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ility_en.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2yW9Kf9IzvWAmam0CAyDWi

Existing Crank Compatibility here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ility_en.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2aLDAJH5QJP7lpTRFXNCgI

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Righto.
Back in the day - I tried to fix this at the time.
I obtained a FC-M443 crank which was available at the time, which is not the correct crank and the spacing is wrong... it is also a 9 speed crank.
Struggling to remember.. tried fixing the spacing with spacers... either it needed to go closer to the frame or too far for spacers to take up for the 10 speed to work in all gears without binding.. can't remember.
Will have a another looksee tomorrow on the bike stand and see if I can work out what the drama was.
If I could get it to work with that crank - problem solved.

Lurkin

Likes Dirt
Abbotsford cycles heilcoiled the existing crank for $25 and we are back riding again.
Feels like a turbo compared to a 26" pub bike beater!
Let's see how long a heilcoil lasts... hmm