Shimano geoblock for USA and Canada

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Shimano has introduced geoblocking, from Jan 1 2019 CRC will not be able to sell Shimano into USA and Canada. I'm guessing we are going to be included at some point too. Discussions on arsebook trade groups suggests it is coming.

Order up everyone.

Attachments

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm. Was it the retailers in the US pushing for this though, not Shimano? Doubt the Aussie firms have enough power to force Shimano to do it here.

Anyway, we will find a workaround :p

Warp

Likes Dirt
Well, it was good while it lasted... hopefully the locals that were selling Shimano at competitive pricing will not shaft us once we can't get stuff from abroad.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The problem is the US, Shimano made the retailers sign an agreement to sell at retail list price and if they were caught advertising under list retail they would lose their supply, so a lot of local shops were stuck trying to compete with the likes of CRC and bike24 but legally not able to discount parts to compete with overseas online stores. Europe has strong competition laws for price fixing so it was a lot harder for them to enforce this there.

Last edited:

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was just starting to warm to shimano again after years of mistrust. Leopard, spots, something something.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Well guys, forget ever having saint or zee parts. Inside a shop and it was 12+ months with no zee or saint crank stock Available to order..

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shimano is doing this to no doubt regain traction in the oem market.

SRAMs geoblocking is forcing more people to buy local thus being more profitable for dealer store front because people can get cheap grey imports.

Dealers then start demanding more sram on their bikes to help increase profits. Bike companies listen and ultimately SRAMs geo block makes them (sram) more money from the increased sales in the oem market and the after sales area.

Win win for both, sram and the dealer.

Shimano catches on to SRAMs smart strategy and needs to compete, hence the geo block beginning.

And finally it’s lose lose all around for the consumer.....

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Just checked on the complete XT & SLX groupsets on CRC - no stock at all. Probably never will be again for us at least.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
It's a good thing I've been stockpiling 10 speed XT/XTR brakes and shifters. Now the only place they might corner me is cassettes but there is always sunrace.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Just give it some time and you'll get all those sneaky retailers come back in on fleabay and I don't think they'll be able to govern it on the German sites unless they stop supply to them.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Just be ready for surplus OEM groupsets coming out from smaller bicycle companies, they are on it already... Oops we over ordered, best sell them off. Finally played with box 1x the other day, the action was nice. Lever could be better made, but went back to a sram ride for a comparison and Box felt much more solid. Nice second to XTR.